• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best Bang for your Buck Tequila

I don't get all the Patron hate that's out there. Maybe I just have bad taste in tequila, but I'd rather have Patron than a lot of the other stuff mentioned.

Oh well, I'd rather have Don Julio than anything else, anyway.

I don'tnecessarily think it is hate. For me Patron is damn fine juice but, I believe it to be over marketed and over priced. The cost of Patron in my market has exceeded Don Julio. Therefore, for the price point it is difficult for me to recommded it. If it was $10 less per bottle I would be drinking a hell of a lot more of it but, like I said when it cost more than DJ it's not going to get a lot of love from me.

I think most others feel this way.

FWIW this thread made me revisit my bottle of Cuervo Reserva De La Familia, man is that good stuff. I will have to do a side by side with the DJ 1942. Anyhow, both are fantastic. :thumbs:

For its price, I like Dos Lunas Anejo a lot. Hi-Time carries it for $34. Excellent reviews for that price point.

Herradura Anejo gets the vote in my house for a decent price juice. About $35-40.

Herradura Anejo gets the vote in my house for a decent price juice. About $35-40.

I have heard more good things about Herradura than any other to-kill-ya I know of.

El Mayor Anejo is very good as well! Had it for the first time earlier this week and enjoyed it very much. $45/750ml on BevMo

I don't get all the Patron hate that's out there. Maybe I just have bad taste in tequila, but I'd rather have Patron than a lot of the other stuff mentioned.

Oh well, I'd rather have Don Julio than anything else, anyway.

I don'tnecessarily think it is hate. For me Patron is damn fine juice but, I believe it to be over marketed and over priced. The cost of Patron in my market has exceeded Don Julio. Therefore, for the price point it is difficult for me to recommded it. If it was $10 less per bottle I would be drinking a hell of a lot more of it but, like I said when it cost more than DJ it's not going to get a lot of love from me.

I think most others feel this way.

FWIW this thread made me revisit my bottle of Cuervo Reserva De La Familia, man is that good stuff. I will have to do a side by side with the DJ 1942. Anyhow, both are fantastic. :thumbs:
I don't hate Patron; I just get tired of going to any bar/restaurant and asking what type of good tequila they have. Invariable Patron Silver is listed as their "Top Shelf", and I'd rather have Cazedores Reposado than Patron's Silver. Patron Anjeo is alright, but if you are willing to spend the money for that stuff, there are way better Top Shelf Tequilas.

Herradura Anjeo is probably the best for the price, if you can find it for $35-40. Lately around here it has gone up to about $50-$55. So at that point, I'd rather grab something else.
Don Julio Anjeo is the Gold Standard of Premium Tequilas, IMO. There are better, and there are plenty that are a whole lot worse, but you can't go wrong w/ DJ Anjeo.
Cielo Reposado is probably my favorite for the price. The Cielo Anjeo is good, but for the price, I think the Reposado is better. And if you look into it, the Ceilo Reposado is aged as long as most Anjeo Tequilas. They push the envelope there and IMO is by far the best Reposado on the market. But I just have a tough time finding the stuff.
Chinaco Anjeo is pretty darn tasty too, but again, difficult for me to find.
Cabo Wabo Reposado is pretty good for a Repo, and often it can be found on sale for around $35. That is a STEAL, IMO when you can find it.

But my rule of thumb is: Silvers and Reposados for shooting; Reposados and Anejos for sipping. And why waste premium Tequilas when mixing. Personally, I find the 1800 Reposado or Herradura Reposado makes great Margaritas. And Jose Cuervo (not the Familia) is for the Young and Dumb.

And if I still have a job on January 30th, I plan on springing for the Don Julio 1942. I had a glass in San Francisco one night and it was phenomenal. I haven't had it since, and keep looking at the bottle when I go through the store. *Fingers Crossed*

Couple of those sound interesting, I typically stay with Anejo's and have not ventured all that much into the Repos'. You have peaked my curiosity and I might just have to hunt down the Cielo.

As for the Anejo's, The 1942 is Top Notch, it is everything that a good tequila shoudl be. I always have a bottle on hand but, rarely indulge a bottle will typically last me 2 years having a couple drams here and there but, it is THAT good and when the moment strikes it never disapoints. If you shop around you can sometimes find it for under $90 a bottle rather than its typical $125. Search some online vendors and you can probably find a deal. Also not far behind it is the Casa Noble Anejo, it is less expensive and imo it holds its weight quite well with the 1942.

Just did a google and it appears that Seth (Shoppers Vineyard) is running a sale at $81 a bottle for the 1942. Great price, Bad timing (for me at least) :angry: