• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best hand gun for concealed carry?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Just like the title says. In your experience, what do you recommend? Something in the $500 (or so) range. Looking for a .45.

Feedback, opinions, etc is appreciated.

Thanks...

....now Rod, you know you're not supposed to start religious arguments here... :p

I’ll throw in my $00.02.  It’ll probably end up being more like $20.00 when I’m done, though…. :p

First up; “…Looking for a .45..”.  While I won’t say that’s a bad choice, just be aware there are valid options anymore.  The .40 is a very capable round, and usually gives you a couple extra rounds over the .45 versions in the same platform.  With modern ammo, the 9mm is also nothing to be written off.  It depends on your ability to handle the recoil and what you can shoot accurately.  Might give some thought to the caliber choice….though, at the end of the day, there’s nothing wrong with the .45.

With pistols, I really do believe there is a certain “Zen” that has to happen with the owner and the weapon.  Go down to a well stocked gun store, get a half dozen quality weapons on the counter, and see what feels good.  No kidding.  There are lots of good choices to be had.  Better yet, if you can rent and try different pistols out, that’s even better.  I could bore you to death with what I think is a ‘good’ pistol for carry, but at the end of the day, the question becomes what do you like?

If you’re looking for concealed carry and want a smaller frame pistol, there are several new single stack choices that are narrower than the double stack pistols previously available.  Check out the nice new Glock 30S, or the Springfield Armory XDS, or the Smith and Wesson “Sheild” series and you’ll see what I mean.  That new Glock has my eye…..and, if I were going to buy one pistol that would fill the requirements you laid out, it would be that one, or the Springfield XDS.  Those would by my first choices.

When it comes to brands, it is pretty hard to go wrong if you stick with a quality brand.  No matter what the brand, some guys will love ‘em, some guys will hate ‘em….but you can’t really argue the quality and reliability.  Glock, Springfield Armory, Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Beretta, Kahr…those are off the top of my head, there are probably more.  I have to admit I’m partial to Glocks.  All mine have the same factory 5lb trigger and Meprolight sights, so no matter if I grab the 21, the 23, or the 26, I have the same trigger pull and the same sight picture.  That’s pretty cool.  They have also been 100% reliable.  Each and every time that slide comes into battery with a round in it, the gun goes 'bang' and feeds another.  Every time.  I've never had a FTF or stovepipe with any of my Glocks, and I'll admit to shooting the cheapest reloads I can find when I go to the range.  When it comes to a carry gun, reliability is < the > most important factor there is.

What do I carry?  If I’m carrying full sized, it’s my Glock 21.  If I’m running down to the gas station or to the grocery store, I’ll throw my Smith and Wesson 642 Airweight in my front pocket in an Uncle Mike’s pocket liner.  Super convenient, and with five .38 +P’s in it, it’s capable and you hardly know it’s there.  At night, my “what just went bump” gun is a Glock 23 with a Streamlight TLR2 light / laser combo on the rail.  That’s a .45, a .38+P, and a .40.  I don’t worry with any of them close.

And....practice and train, practice and train, practice and train some more.  Take a class or two.  I try to take a class every couple years just because.  I welcome feedback and I think it helps me shoot better.

Lastly, don't forget storage.  Lock that pistol up when you're not carrying it.  Get a decent safe or valut and lag bolt it down to a joist or two.  I am a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment, but also acknowledge and respect the awesome responsibility that comes with owning weapons.

As they say, Rod….”one man’s opinion”…..B.B.S.

Edited - some linkage:

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g30s

http://xdspistol.com/

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_809559_-1_780153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm

I carry a full sized Colt 1911, highly modded, which is a lot of gun to carry and takes a certain amount of courage to carry cocked and locked. It also takes a lot of practice to shoot well, but I've used and owned them for over forty years. If I was young and not so set in my ways, I'd look into a Sig P-229 in .40 cal. It costs a little more than you want to spend, but you should be able to find a good used one for that price. Hell buy a new one. The last time I looked they were around $750.

Doc

Very good information, Tom.  I appreciate it.  You're the second person to recommend a .40 instead of a .45.  My .38 special doesn't seem to be a practical CW...

Again, great info, thanks!

Actually, for concealability, nothing beats 9mm. And with modern self-defense ammo, there's not a meaningful difference in performance. I love my LC9.

Devil Doc said:
I carry a full sized Colt 1911, highly modded, which is a lot of gun to carry and takes a certain amount of courage to carry cocked and locked. It also takes a lot of practice to shoot well, but I've used and owned them for over forty years. If I was young and not so set in my ways, I'd look into a Sig P-229 in .40 cal. It costs a little more than you want to spend, but you should be able to find a good used one for that price. Hell buy a new one. The last time I looked they were around $750.

Doc

I completely forgot Sig...and I used to own a P220.  Fantastic, high quality firearms.

Doc - my 1911 is a Springfield Armory "Operator" that I bought off a buddy, almost new (a couple hundred rounds, tops), for a song.  Couldn't pass it up:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=10

aragornelessar86 said:
Actually, for concealability, nothing beats 9mm. And with modern self-defense ammo, there's not a meaningful difference in performance. I love my LC9.
There's a reason the Marine Corps just put in a 22.5 million dollar order with Colt for the 1911. I guess they're not too happy with their Beretta 92. There's a lot to be said for a hand gun that's going to knock the enemy down no matter where it hits them. 9mm, not so much.

Doc

I agree Doc....but the armed forces don't get to use modern defense ammo. ....only FMJ if I remember correctly. Size does matter but some of the New ammo is pretty cool.

I have a pretty good selection to pick from, but for concealed carry its an LCP in .380 and practice, practice, practice. Doc, I love my Ruger 1911 but I carry it on my hip. It's just too bulky for CC, IMHO.

BlindedByScience said:
I agree Doc....but the armed forces don't get to use modern defense ammo. ....only FMJ if I remember correctly. Size does matter but some of the New ammo is pretty cool.
X2

I think the 1911 trigger is the best and easiest gun to be accurate with. I will agree with Doc that conceal carrying a full size is difficult. Lately I have been carrying a 3" Ultra Kimber Tactical. I wear a suit most days, and it is very easy to conceal under my jacket. I also carry a Springfield XDS quite a bit too.

I have learned after purchasing MANY (can't have to many right?) conceal carry guns, that a thin single stack gun is hands down more comfortable. I have also learned that having a rig (gun and holster) that is comfortable will allow you to carry more often. I attempted to carry a Sig 226 for a while and was miserable, found my self leaving it at home most days. Does you no good there!

I also think any caliber gun is better than no gun! 9mm, .40, .45, with defensive ammo are all very similar. Shot placement being the key.

Rod,

How difficult is it to obtain a conceal carry license in California?

What Tom says about how they feel is one of the biggest lessons I've ever learned. My buddy got into Handguns a while back. Has deep pockets, and has bought quite a few (Glocks most especially). He recently bought a CZ  P-07 Duty. He can shoot much better with that gun than his others. All quality arms. He raves about the feel, and you can't argue with the difference in his groupings, etc.

What do you guys think of that CZ? I love shooting it. I think it will shoot 9mm/.40 too. (I've only shot 9mm through it.)

I'm partial to .45, but I learned on one from an ex Army Pistol Instructor/Team guru. Being a grasshopper, not knowing a whole lot, I am confident of the knockdown power. I'm not a hobbyist, but from the previous posts, it would probably be a good idea to look into some of the other options and rounds brought up.

I carry the H&K P2000. It's perfect for CC in size and weight, it's also a 9MM. They make a smaller version of it also, a P2000SK

redraider said:
Rod,

How difficult is it to obtain a conceal carry license in California?

It depends on what county you live. Luckily, I'm in the more less restrictive county (San Bernardino). You just need to go before the sheriff (or chief) and go through an interview. As long as you have a reason to carry, they'll issue it. 

Tom pretty much summed it up when it comes to choosing a CCW gun. You need to buy what you like based on criteria that you set. There simple is no "one" gun for ever situation or person, why do you think they sell so many different models. What you carry depends a lot on you;your body type, the clothes you intend to wear, environment you are carrying in, repercussions if you get "made", and on and on.

Since you got good advice already on choosing a firearm, I'll chime in a bit with some helpful tips for carrying.

1. Buy a good belt. Sounds simple enough but I have friends who don't get it. A quality belt helps distribute the weight more evenly, keeps your holster from flapping and keeps you from pulling up your pants. There are numerous variations of the Wilderness/Riggers Belt and thick leather belts, 1.5 inch is the smallest width you should go, IMHO. 1.75 inches fits through all my pants besides 2 pairs of slacks and doesn't dig in to me. I would skip anything with a kydex or plastic stiffener unless the belt will be for OWB or a competition setup.

2. Buy a good holster. So which one? It really depends on you, how you plan on carrying, and how much you are willing to spend or how much time you are willing to wait. A lot of name brand, high dollar companies have lead times of 90 days plus. Holsters come in as many configurations as types of guns, materials and location are the key points. So here is a little info on Holsters

For my money for CCW, an Hybrid Inside the Waist Band holster is the first holster you should buy. Hybrid means it is a Kydex shell/sleeve married to a leather backing and is probably the most comfortable option besides a high dollar custom leather holster. IWB is pretty easy to figure out. There are literally a bazillion companies make hybrid IWB, see if you can't try some out.

All Kydex is really a poor choice for IWB, if it's not comfortable you won't carry it. OWB Kydex is great, there are 2 bazillion companies and individuals making these and with vary levels of success. It's a highly copied market, with smaller name companies selling a very similar products as big companies for less money and shorter lead times.

All leather customs are works of art and are priced similar. Lead times are measured in months from reputable companies and I am a little leary of "the local guy".

3. AMMO. Google "best choices for home defense ammo" it should answer all your questions. Living in Cali, can you still mail order ammo? +P in short barrels if the gun can handle it.

Though I haven't carried in the three years I've been in Europe, I started carrying about 9 years ago in Arkansas.  My everyday carry firearm of choice was a Springfield Armory 1911 TRP.  I eventually started carrying a Smith & Wesson M&P 45C as it was a bit smaller and lighter.  A new leg brace interfered with the 1911 and I couldn't find a new way to wear it comfortably.  The M&P stayed out of the way.  I may have overlooked it, but I haven't noticed anyone mention anything about a J-Frame.  I nearly always had a S&W.38 in my front pocket or in a carry strap around my waist if I didn't have pockets or belt loops.  

I prefer .45 ACP over .40 S&W because of the perceived recoil.  The recoil of .40 to me is more of a "snap" upwards, whereas .45 feels like much more of a controlled "push" back into the web of my hand and recovery is more easy to control, especially when the .45 is a 1911.  The M&P kicked a bit more, but I still like the round better than .40.  Just my opinion on it.

Everybody hit on a lot of good points:  A quality function-designed belt and a quality holster are key to everyday carry, as are training and overall security mindset.  I don't know what kind of qualifications you need for a CCL in CA, but in Arkansas (and many other states) it is ridiculously lacking.  Take a good tactical training course (they even have ones designed expressly for home defense) and fire your CARRY weapon at the range as much as possible.  Firing a .22 is fun and inexpensive, but it is not the same in weight, operation or functionality as a .45 (especially if you decide in a 1911) and you need to build the muscle memory.  If you need your weapon in a real situation, you aren't going to be thinking clearly, most likely.  You need your reflexes to operate automatically.  Also, laser sights are nice and a good additional resource to put the advantage on your side should you need it, but don't rely on them completely.  Train as much as possible without them.  

If you are looking for home defense, ditch the handgun and get a Remington 870 .12 gauge.

Devil Doc said:

Doc

What's funny about that is the alarmist mindset most people have about firearms.  A C&L 1911 is actually *technically* safer than the Glock or M&P or other plastic pistol.  They may all have "safety triggers", but the 1911 has to have three operations happen simultaneously for that hammer to fall.  It's just the sight of the thing being visibly "ready to fire" that makes (stupid) people stupid(er).  I always felt much safer with a 1911 than with any polymer pistol (or even the M9).