• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best hand gun for concealed carry?

I had one and end up selling it to get an M&P Shield. The LC9 was smaller by a little, but ergonomically I prefer the Shield. The LC9 has a llloooonnngggg trigger pull, if you shoot lot of revolvers it shouldn't be issue, but compared to striker fired pistols it's night and day. Google Galloway Precision, they make loads of after market parts for the LCx family.

I found both the LC9 and Shield to be too large for pocket carry. There are tons on hybrid kydex/leather holsters for less than $50. I have heard great things about N82 holsters but don't personally own one.

Congrats on the prize

Breedy said:
I had one and end up selling it to get an M&P Shield. The LC9 was smaller by a little, but ergonomically I prefer the Shield. The LC9 has a llloooonnngggg trigger pull, if you shoot lot of revolvers it shouldn't be issue, but compared to striker fired pistols it's night and day. Google Galloway Precision, they make loads of after market parts for the LCx family.

I found both the LC9 and Shield to be too large for pocket carry. There are tons on hybrid kydex/leather holsters for less than $50. I have heard great things about N82 holsters but don't personally own one.

Congrats on the prize
I agree with the Looonnnggggg pull, but you DO get used to it. ;)

Going with the Shield was more to complete the family, than not liking the LC9.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Lkyman said:
Lot's of activity here. I like it. Small concealed- Kimber Solo or XDS45. IMHO btw.

XDS is very nice.  About the size of the Shield in a .45 acp, and the recoil was surprisingly manageable.  Easy to shoot well, I thought.

Strayvector said:

Going with the Shield was more to complete the family, than not liking the LC9.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.
Did you happen to see this recall on the Shield?

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/08/23/smith-wesson-issues-safety-recall-for-mp-shield-pistols/

For some reason a lot of the new small guns have had recalls recently.  The Shield, the XDS and the Sig P238.

khari said:

Lot's of activity here. I like it. Small concealed- Kimber Solo or XDS45. IMHO btw.

XDS is very nice.  About the size of the Shield in a .45 acp, and the recoil was surprisingly manageable.  Easy to shoot well, I thought.

Completely agree with you. 

side note - no recall on the Kimber Solo

My weapon of choice is a P229 Sig Sauer with .357. Just right for a normal sized carrier. Always reliable. All black of course.

StatHaldol said:
I got my wife a Ruger LCR 357 for Christmas (don't tell her).  Hers has Crimson Trace laser sights.  It's light and easily concealed.  We both have our concealed carry permits.
http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/ruger-lcr-357-review/

Wow.  I know very experienced shooters who complain about the snap of the LCR .357.  I really wanted to get one at one point but backed off when I heard about the recoil of such a light gun loaded with .357 ammo.  I'd be interested to hear what your and her thoughts are on it after Christmas and you get to the range.

Do you plan to shoot mostly .38 special?

I'm a huge fan of Ruger revolvers.  I got a SP101 in 327 Federal Magnum.  Awesome gun.  I practice with the .32 S&W Long and carry Federal Hydra Shoks  in .327 (waiting on some Buffalo Bore 100 gr JHP).

What's the availability of .327 Federal?  The Ruger .327 was just coming out when I moved over here, and I honestly pretty much stopped following the firearms market since I was unable to partake in it any longer.  One of the biggest concerns among those I used to talk to in person and on various message boards was the popular availability of the .327 Fed round as opposed to more traditional .357 and .40 S&W.  Just curious if it's a "find it on the shelf anywhere" type of ammunition, or if you still have to hunt around for a supplier.

kann said:
What's the availability of .327 Federal?  The Ruger .327 was just coming out when I moved over here, and I honestly pretty much stopped following the firearms market since I was unable to partake in it any longer.  One of the biggest concerns among those I used to talk to in person and on various message boards was the popular availability of the .327 Fed round as opposed to more traditional .357 and .40 S&W.  Just curious if it's a "find it on the shelf anywhere" type of ammunition, or if you still have to hunt around for a supplier.

It never took off like Federal/Ruger wanted, so It is not as readily available as .357 or .40. I mostly purchase on-line and in bulk so it's not much of an issue, and it's much cheaper that way.

It can be found on the shelves, there's just not a huge selection. The three shops I am most likely to purchase from all have it in stock, in both range ammo and defense.

I carry my full size HK USP .45. I know it so well I don't want to change, but would now get an HK45 as they are a little smaller with the picatinny built in, no adapter necessary.

khari said:
I got my wife a Ruger LCR 357 for Christmas (don't tell her).  Hers has Crimson Trace laser sights.  It's light and easily concealed.  We both have our concealed carry permits.
http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/ruger-lcr-357-review/

Wow.  I know very experienced shooters who complain about the snap of the LCR .357.  I really wanted to get one at one point but backed off when I heard about the recoil of such a light gun loaded with .357 ammo.  I'd be interested to hear what your and her thoughts are on it after Christmas and you get to the range.

Do you plan to shoot mostly .38 special?
I'm a huge fan of Ruger revolvers.  I got a SP101 in 327 Federal Magnum.  Awesome gun.  I practice with the .32 S&W Long and carry Federal Hydra Shoks  in .327 (waiting on some Buffalo Bore 100 gr JHP).
She'll mostly shoot .38's in it. That's what she's used to shooting.

Ruger revolvers are solid.  I have an original Redhawk in .44 Mag that I've run a bazillion rounds through.  Still locks up tight, timing is on the money.  A little too much for concealed carry, though.... :laugh:

Back