• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Between the Lines... review

thejollyco

The Jolly Company
Okay. Most of use know what this is :D

It looks very... pretty. And deceptively small. Almost as small as my peener.

Okay back on the topic here.
I had this on friday with a nice "cup" of cabernet sauvergnion[sic].

So, never having one, but having arturo fuentes before, I expected it just to be peppery, but probably less.

So, when you start off with this cigar, there's only a short burning spot. For those of you new to this, It can mess up the even-ness of the burning... of the cigar. I thought the cigar would correct this eventually, but no.
So, when i first started, it has a nice flavour, and i could taste the conniticut shade wrapper, but not the maduro. There was a nice, subtle cedar flavour throughout the cigar. So, i was thinking, this isn't a bad cigar. There was a slight hint of pepperiness and spice at the beginning, but i wasn't to concerned about that. Decent draw, but since the cigar wasn't too big in ring guage, the cut (guillotine) wasn't that big either. I think that the guillotine cut would be the best for this cigar. The v cut would work if it got it big enough, but it's more probable that you might get the cigar all moist easier in that sort of cut, which makes the draw almost impossible.
Around a third of the way, the spice was more noticable, but the peppery and cedar flavours were still hidden, somewhat. I must say, the wine really complements the cigar.
So around 1/2 of the way down, the spice is getting more intense and the pepperiness is starting to kick in a bit. The hint of the woody taste is still there, but it is masked by the other tastes. The cigar got hot and i kept the ash on to try and cool off the cigar. One thing i did notice was that this cigar got hot fairly easily if you're not careful. One must pace him/her self. It didn't help that i let my friend take a few puffs :p.
So about 2/3 of the way down, it was harder to cool off. Every puff i took made the cigar feel hot. The taste was more maduro influenced pepperyness with more noticable cedary flavour. About a coupla minutes later, the ash fell off. I kind of gave up after that. I don't enjoy too much pepperyness in general. I prolly would have smoked more if i had more wine. But i was out. I decided to go inside and play video games. The draw got harder throughout the cigar. At this point the draw was sort of saturated with... saliva... my friend sucks at smoking cigars.

So, final verdicts... not worth the msrp of around 20 dollars, but prolly around 10-15, good with wine, it gets hot if you don't pace yourself, and you're crazy for reading my ramblings.

Was it good for you too? :sign:

A size comparision...
SS.BS.BTL.jpg

From left to right:
Short Story Natural
Best Seller Natural
Between the Lines ( aka BTL )
Work of Art Maduro ( aka WOAM )

like i said almost as small as my peener :D

that wrapping of the btl doesn't look even ???

and i noticed that the cap was made usingthe conniticut shade

thejollyco said:
like i said almost as small as my peener :D

that wrapping of the btl doesn't look even ???

and i noticed that the cap was made usingthe conniticut shade

We can't all be a Masterpiece, Jolly.

Interesting observations on the BTL...I know that although maduro caps are the norm, some get produced with a blonde cap.

thejollyco said:
So, final verdicts... not worth the msrp of around 20 dollars, but prolly around 10-15, good with wine, it gets hot if you don't pace yourself, and you're crazy for reading my ramblings.
MSRP is not $20 -- it's $13.00 -- but still, I agree, they are over-priced. Hemingway Best Sellers taste about the same, and are a lot less.

MilesMingusMonk said:
Interesting observations on the BTL...I know that although maduro caps are the norm, some get produced with a blonde cap.
I think it's just luck of the draw. Some BTLs are wrapped clockwise, some are wrapped counter-clockwise. Some have maduro caps, some have blonde caps.

The maduro strip on that BTL MMM posted does look a bit off tho; I'm surprised that'd pass their QC checks. They are usually quite even -- also the one in MMM's picture looks washed/dried out a bit (lacking in oils)... could be just the picture, I dunno:

btl_box.jpg

MilesMingusMonk said:
Is the blend the same as the Best Seller, Moki?
I've never asked, so I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine it is at least pretty similar. Tastes somewhat similar to me, anyway.

moki said:
The maduro strip on that BTL MMM posted does look a bit off tho; I'm surprised that'd pass their QC checks. They are usually quite even -- also the one in MMM's picture looks washed/dried out a bit (lacking in oils)... could be just the picture, I dunno:
Thanks for the info Moki. :thumbs:

What year of production is that full box of BTLs?

The colors are funky in the jpeg due to the scanner. I'll have to ask the BOTL that gifted me this BTL as to its origins... I beleive he told me he acquired it in a pass in 2003.

MilesMingusMonk said:
What year of production is that full box of BTLs?

The colors are funky in the jpeg due to the scanner. I'll have to ask the BOTL that gifted me this BTL as to its origins... I beleive he told me he acquired it in a pass in 2003.
The box is from 2003

Thanks for the review :thumbs: I'm still holding one waiting on the right time to light it up.

no problem, decided since i'm on this board, i might as well pip up and say something useful every once in a while.

first "real" review. :D

Tony Bones said:
Could it be that one of the rollers is left handed and one right?
During a herf in Miami with rickmac25, Emo, Pepe, & Cigar_smoka we visited a few cigar shops that had rollers onsite.

I think Gael & Marta @ La Luna Cigars :love: showed us that depending which side of the leaf they use (left or right) determines the direction of the wrapping. When they pull the stem from the center of the leaf you're left with two pieces, left & right.

Hence the alternating patterns with the BTL.

These have been and continue to be the most overpriced, over-hyped and least satisfying cigars ever produced. I've got one from the original release sitting in the Humidor as a conversation piece that will never be smoked.

Simply a waste of money.

:angry:

doohnibor said:
These have been and continue to be the most overpriced, over-hyped and least satisfying cigars ever produced. I've got one from the original release sitting in the Humidor as a conversation piece that will never be smoked.

Simply a waste of money.

:angry:
[snapback]150202[/snapback]​

I cannot fully agree with this. Yes, they are rather expensive, and yes, they are usually sold at far above MSRP. But I think
waste of money
is a little strong. I have smoked only 2 of them, so my experience is, shall we say, limited, but I really enjoyed them both. I would pay MSRP, or maybe even a little over, to smoke another.

Fuente cigars are priced high because (IMHO) they produce an exceptional product. Quality, construction and Taste have never left me wanting. Frankly, with the vast array of Fuente Choices, I could live on Fuente and Cubans and never smoke anything else. Ok, I might have to have a Padron from time to time :whistling:

Saying that the BTL is a waste of money is simply rediculous.

Again, this is just MHO and I mean no dissrespect to doohnibor.

This is driving me insane. I've had a best seller, work of art, and short story, and I love everyone of them, but I can't get my hands on a Between the lines at all! Every place I've found either just sold the last one, or they are like 20-25 dollars a piece. Eric aka EShaw got one the other day, and finally I got to see one up close. They are awesome. I just want to smoke one! lol. But it'd be hard, they are so awesome looking i'd just rather keep it to look at.

My .02 cents of jealous anger lol.