• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

beverage recommendation

puffnstuff

altruistic pervert
alright, granted, I'm a newbie and am very much still in my experimental phase (though I hope to never stop experimenting, I guess). I've come to the conclusion that I enjoy drinks with a little sweetness with my cigars (although a good stout is one exception, so far), such as various iced-coffee drinks, chinese green tea with honey, etc.
my new favorite, and I'm prepared to be laughed at here, is Henry Weinhard's Gourmet Root Beer. if you've never indulged in the heaven that is H. W.'s Root Beer, imagine the feel of that creamy froth on the head of a Guiness, followed by a flavor that makes *all* other Root Beers (that I've tried) pale embarrassingly in comparison.
the fact that summer has rolled around, and something nice'n'cold is enjoyable anyway is a contributing factor, but I can see myself sticking with it through the coldest winter months...(though I do live in So. Cal. haha!), for whatever that's worth.
there are so many drinks left for me to try, but this one compelled me to recommend it.
of course it'll also helps if you like Root Beer to begin with and don't mind carbonated drinks with your cigars.

even if doesn't sound good as a cigar companion, buy some along with some of your favorite vanilla ice cream and treat yourself to the best Root Beer Float imaginable. :D

Well, I happen to think Sprechers Root Beer is the best I've had. It's brewed in Wisconsin and they also have some mighty tasty beers. I can't get the stuff in Oklahoma, so sometimes I have them ship it to me. If you're up to trying some other Root Beer, try this one. They won't ship the beer though. Here is the website:

Sprechers

Brandon

I've been enjoying port wine with cigars lately.

I have to say, as simple as it is, I find that a nice glass of diet coke usually goes well with a cigar.

bfreebern said:
Well, I happen to think Sprechers Root Beer is the best I've had.
thanks for the recommendation, bfreebern.
if you've had Henry Weinhard's, how does Sprechers compare to it, in your opinion?

I think part of what does it for me (with H. W.'s), in addition to the draught style head, there's a hint of vanilla in the flavor. in fact, it's brewed with vanilla and honey in addition to the sassafras.
Henry Weinhard also makes a Vanilla Cream Soda, and an Orange Cream Soda (I think that would probably taste like one of those orange 50/50 bar popsicles).
I haven't been able to pull myself away from the Root Beer to try either of those, so I can't comment..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type thinking, I suppose.

I might just have to put in an order for some of that Sprechers, though, and give that a whirl.

seeing as some people don't mind carbonated soft drinks with their cigars (i.e. diet coke etc), then I'd be curious to hear what people think of the H.W. experience.

I've never had Henry Weinhard's, but it sounds damn close to Sprechers Root Beer: ....fired brew kettle, by combining honey, pure vanilla and a host of aromatic botanicals. The dark, honeyed brew will build a delicious, frothy head when properly poured into a frosted mug....

Sprechers also has Cream soda, Orange soda, Ginger ale and Red soda. They all come in 16oz bottles as well. BUT if you're a real Root Beer drinker, they come in 1/2 and 1/4 Barrels.

I usually have a smoke w/ a big glass of Red Diamond Sweet Tea. Can't beat it, unless I'm enjoying a Newcastle or a Shiner.

Henry's rootbeer is indeed very good. My only gripe is the amount of sugar. Yikes! 47 grams per serving. Never-the-less, I have one w/ lunch at my favorite local deli often.

Just something about a heaping NY style deli sandwich and a good rootbeer that takes me back.

On the flip side, I also enjoy a fine cigar w/ an ice cold 40 of OE or Crazy Horse in a paper bag. And on the flip of the flip side, a cold Tripel goes well w/ a spicier smoke.

Hell, I can probably find something to go w/ anything and vice-versa :)

I too have been doing much experimenting lately, tonight I had a CAO carrillo and a Sleeman Lager. It was a great combo, the Lager was a Sleeman Honey Brown, it is a Canadian beer brewed in Guelph, Ont. It is one of my all time favorites.

I discovered this beer while in British Columbia, and since I live in MI I have no problem running to Canada to get some, not sure if it is available in the states. If you like beer and have a chance to try it I would highly recommend it. Plus when purchased in Canada it has 5.2% alcohol content and packs a pretty nice puch. :D

I also am a big fan or root beer and will be sure to try some of the brands you all mentioned here.

I thought I'd be the only one to say this, but I think a diet coke (NOT pepsi) goes good with a stoge. But then so does a tumbler of havana club on the rocks :p
Robert

The good people of CP broadened my knowledge of port wine and now port is my drink of choice with my stogies.
Thanks dudes :)

Usually water.....

If I want heavier.... Guinness with Maduro smokes, Rum with all others (usually Tanduay or Mekong - but that's an Asia thang...)

What kind of port do you guys drink with your smokes? I have been thinking about try it.

I like to have tea with my stogies, hot or iced
my favorites are Oolong & Earl Grey hot & Constant Comment for iced tea :)

Bill

bfreebern said:
Well, I happen to think Sprechers Root Beer is the best I've had. It's brewed in Wisconsin and they also have some mighty tasty beers.
Sprechers

Brandon
I love the Sprechers Root Beer too. But I always prefer a beer with my smokes. Sprecher's Special Amber is my favorite and one of the best micro's around. Their Brown Pub Ale is also very good, best with a nice strong cigar, it will overpower a mild smoke.

Bruce

Sprechers is the best, the BEST, Jerry. It's the honey, perfect complement to the root beer flavor. Never tried it with a cigar though, usally water or iced tea, it's all I ever drink anyways.

kingpin said:
What kind of port do you guys drink with your smokes? I have been thinking about try it.
Fonseca bin 27, good for a inexpensive port. Sandemans Founders Reserve is good also. You can find both for under $15.00. If you want to try something very nice, Graham 1963 or Fonseca 1997. :0

Try this link to HighTime wine cellar for a good place to order:
Click here

My favorite stogie complimenting drink so far is a glass of Cavit Pinot Noir 2002 (proper temp is a must - otherwise all bets are off). . .YUM!