• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Big Beer Blind'er

Looks like we have touchdown:

Type: Package
Delivered On: 04/25/2008 1:34 P.M.
Delivered To: VAN NUYS, CA, US
Service: GROUND

Get ready, Mike!

OMG ... WOW, I have to say Mike 'I LOVE YOU MAN!'
gallery_6182_366_423.jpg

I can't wait to get started!

I will have a review on all these fine brews, everytime I throw one down! I'm anticipating the Kentucky Breakfast Stout. :blush: :whistling:

Blurb I received from Mike:
Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA
"Double Simcoe IPA, 9.0% abv, is our incredible reward for Hopheads seeking over the top flavor in a Double IPA, without the harshness. Brewed with Simcoe hops, developed and trademarked by Select Botanicals Group, LLC, in the year 2000. This hybrid hops was created to allow maximum aromatic oils, along with low cohumulone(harshness) levels, so that brewers can really load up a lot of 'em in a beer and not have any harshness. The piney, citrusy notes are all here, and in a very clean (non-harsh) way, as well as having an aroma with impact."

This has similar qualities to the Nugget Nectar (lack of harshness/bitterness), and is very easy to drink. Hopefully you like it almost as much as the Nectar.

Victory St. Boisterous Hellerbock/Maibock
"A full-bodied lager beer of exuberant and robust character. It’s muscle-man body comes from decocted German malts and noble German hops. Lagered long and cold to refine its strong temperament, St. Boisterous emerges smooth and seductive, with a malty sweet charm. This classic rendition of the German ‘maibock' style will warm your heart. Available n Draft mid March, April and May. Also available in bottles by the case. The bottles are only available in Pennsylvania."

This beer follows St. Victorious in my late winter/early spring rotation. Enjoy!

And now on to the contents of our trade. All beers (with one notable exception) are from Philadelphia-area breweries. I tried to stay in the stout/porter realm per your request, but I do stray on occasion:

Victory Baltic Thunder

"Truly a worldly beer. Baltic Thunder represents the Baltic Porter style admirably. Exhibiting the enticing, toffee roast of the British porter that originated the style in the 18th century, and the soothing, subtle fruit nuance of contemporary brews that flourish from Helsinki to Vilnius today, this dark lager honors the Baltic god of thunder. Created by an inspired collaboration of brewers and tempered with a touch of turmoil, Baltic Thunder rolls on to bring you enchanting light as the darkness fades."

Victory Saison
"Our latest release in the V Series of bottle conditioned, Belgian-inspired ales is heady with an earthy, aromatic hop start. Involving hops from the Czech Republic, Germany and England, this flavorful ale slides into flavors of honey and mildly tart fruit. Leaving a refreshing impression of dryness, this is a quenching, invigorating ale, despite it substantial strength at 7.5% abv."

This is from the spring 2007 bottling

Victory Storm King Imperial Stout
"With a huge, Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront, Storm King subsides into massive, roast malt complexity. More flavor than mere words can adequately describe. Rich and substantial, it will warm your heart."

This is from the Fall 2007 bottling

Stoudt's Barrel Aged Fat Dog Stout
"This unique ale merges the smooth and complex richness of an Oatmeal Stout with the assertive hoppiness of Imperial Stout. Fat Dog has an inviting, silky-black color, a prominent roasted malt character, and a chocolatey, coffee-like finish. For a special treat we aged a small batch of this beer in bourbon barrels and corked finished in our old stly 750ml. bottles."

Weyerbacher Heresy

"This incredibly intriguing Imperial Stout is made by aging our Old Heathen in some very famous Oak barrels that were used for aging bourbon! What do we have when we are done? A stout whose very essence has been enhanced. A stout whose complexity has been increased. A stout with notes of Oak, whiskey and vanilla melding together to create a new sensation. Have we gone too far this time? We don't think so. Heresy is a step above and a leap beyond the extraordinary. Taste it and see what everyone is talking about. 8.0% ABV"

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout
OK, so this one isn't even from Pennsylvania, much less Philadelphia. Fee free to send it back if you like... :whistling:

Yards Love Stout
Straight from the heart of the City of Brotherly Love comes a dark and chocolatey seductive little stout dominated by roasted malt flavor. This is one Philly favorite that won't break your heart and will always love you back.

Yards "Ales of the Revolution"
When I was first putting this trade together I was only going to include one of these (the Washington Porter), but I decided that I'd send you the whole "collection." A few years ago, Yards (in conjunction with the famous Philadelphia City Tavern) started releasing a series of beers that were based on Revolutionary War-era recipes. They tried to stay as true to the recipes and ingredients as they were able, going so far as to invert an entire spruce tree into the brewing vat for the Franklin Spruce Ale. While not exceptional along the lines of a 5-star beer on BA, they are quite tasty and an interesting peek into what beer was like 200+ years ago. All are bottle-conditioned.

General Washington's Tavern Porter
Days of debate and deliberation at Independence Hall were often followed by nights of debate and deliberation (and a few libations) at the City Tavern, where our forefathers would gather to exchange revolutionary ideas.

Rich and warming with a deep garnet hue, the molasses-based Tavern Porter™ reflects Washington's admiration of Philadelphia-style porters and follows a recipe Washington used himself, when brewing beer to satisfy his thirsty field officers.

Historical note: Our brewery is located just blocks away from the site of Robert Hair's brewery, where Washington's favorite Philadelphia Porter was crafted.

Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale
Brewed to celebrate Ben's 300th birthday.

Whether Ben Franklin ever said, "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" is up for debate. Some say he said it, others say he didn't. No one knows for sure.

Historical facts or fictions aside, Yards Brewing Company has recreated Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale™ to celebrate Franklin's affinity for fine ales. Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce Ale is based on Franklin's original recipe, which called for spruce essence and molasses, as barley and hops were not readily available at the time (and taxed heavily by the British).

Thomas Jefferson's Tavern Ale

While Thomas Jefferson spent much of his time in Philadelphia drafting, editing, revising, and re-editing the Declaration of Independence, he longed to be home in Monticello, where twice a year his wife Martha would brew up one of his favorite beverages — beer.

Thomas Jefferson Tavern Ale™ is a strong golden ale, based on Jefferson's original recipe, which included ingredients specified and grown on his Virginia estate.

Philadelphia Brewing Company Beers
PBC was formed when the original partners from the aforementioned Yards Brewing parted company. One guy kept the name and had to move to a new location, the other kept the brewery (in the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia) and had to come up with a new name. Feud aside, it's nice to have two quality breweries within the city limits again. PBC only released their beers on tap in March, and this April the first bottles came off the assembly line. I bought a "sampler" case that was filled on April 2nd, so unless anyone out in Cali was trading for these beers, I guarantee you're the first person on the West Coast to be drinking them. Two made it in this shipment, and two will arrive separately (ran out of room in the box!). Enjoy!

Kenzinger
This is a real drinkin' beer! - a golden session ale (kolsch) that boasts both a European birthright and a thirst-quenching Philadelphia sensibility. Kenzinger is refreshingly crisp and smooth, with a spirited flavor that grabs the attention of taste buds everywhere. Get some!

Newbold IPA
Hop shortage be damned! We love IPA's, Philadelphia loves IPA's, we're going to brew an IPA. Rekindle your passion for your favorite Philadelphia brewery by enjoying our substantial, aromatic India Pale Ale. Newbold is aggressively hopped, with a crimson hue and depth of flavor that will satisfy the most demanding devotee of this revived style. Newbold I.P.A. tells it like it is.

Rowhouse Red
From our "city of neighborhoods" we offer you this Biére de Mars, or ruby farmhouse ale. In true Philadelphia fashion, we meld American and European ingredients into a complex ale with flavors of toasted malt and rye. Rowhouse Red is the perfect accompaniment for some quality time in the backyard garden (or on the front stoop) of your urban farmhouse

Walt Wit
The American poet Walt Whitman once portrayed a sunset over Philadelphia as, "...a broad tumble of clouds, with much golden haze and profusion of beaming shaft and dazzle." Pour yourself a bottle of Walt Wit Belgian White-Style Ale and see what he was talking about. A pinch of spice and a whisper of citrus lend complexity to this fragrant, satisfying ale.

ENJOY!!!