• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Big Favor ...

SO finally took the plunge ... I just moved in my new place 2 months ago ... fiance and kids went to the local shelter and we rescue a lil 1 yr old girl. Not sure what she is ... maybe a poodle/maltese/chihuahua mix. She's smart and great with the kids. Luckily she is already potty trained ... once we get her stitches out and can bath her I will post some pictures of lil Sugar. :thumbs:

Thanks brother for all your advice!!

Adopt! Adopt! Adopt! At least give a look at your local shelter/ humane society. A "saved" dog will give you just as much pleasure as a "bought" dog. Plus you can look down your nose at the dumbasses that dropped 2K for a dog with the brains bred out of it.

NA

:thumbs:

Mine came from a 'no kill' organization/kennel.

If she's too much or has issues, they will take her back...no questions.
I acutally signed a paper that said I ahd to contact them before doing anything!
(not that she has any issues...it's mainly the owner!) :)

Good Luck with the new dog. It sounds like it was worth the wait. We love our Havenese and they have become my smoking buddies when I sit out in the evenings relaxing with a good cigar, unfortunately they also have high end taste in SCOTCH !

BenjieV

SO finally took the plunge ... I just moved in my new place 2 months ago ... fiance and kids went to the local shelter and we rescue a lil 1 yr old girl. Not sure what she is ... maybe a poodle/maltese/chihuahua mix. She's smart and great with the kids. Luckily she is already potty trained ... once we get her stitches out and can bath her I will post some pictures of lil Sugar. :thumbs:

Damn right. Excellent move... plus you get extra points when you die... and, if that's not true, it should be.

NA

I just moved in my new place 2 months ago ... fiance and kids went to the local shelter

Before I read the rest, I said to myself, "damn, he's a cold dude."

:laugh:

Congrats on the addition to the family.

+1 on buying the puppies at the mall. A friend on a motorcycle forum bought one through one of those stores and the puppy was sickly from the very start. Unfortunately, the pup passed away in a few months because of sickness. His fiance was heart broken because she got attached.

If you aren't dead set on a pure breed or willing to take the time, my parents adopted their dog through www.petfinder.com. You will be rescuing a puppy and it just feels much better than buying. There are still fee's associated with the adoption but for "shots" that are needed.

Hope this helps Mike.

+1 on this post...

I've found - don't be anxious to buy a dog. There are plenty out there - and I think they end up picking you.

A few years ago I was at a shelter and saw the most incredible Min-Pin I'd ever seen - ended up adopting her out for my wife as a special gift. It was nice - the dog had already received all of her shots, had been de-wormed, and had a flea bath. And - as an extra added bonus - she'd been fixed!!!

My understanding is she's a full breed Min-Pin - but I could absolutely care less. No reason to get a full breed with papers unless you plan on breeding them. And that takes an awful lot of time and effort.

Go with shelter dogs... :thumbs:

I guess I shoulda read all the way down before I put my .02 in... :blush:

Congrats!!!

You and the dog will both be MUCH happier!!! :thumbs:

We were lucky ... I think she was meant to be with us.

Originally we went to the pound to look at dogs, kind of sad that most all the dogs were pitbull breeds or mixes. I wish I could have a big dog but it wouldn't be fair to the dog since I don't have a yard he could run in, so they hardley had any small dogs. Right when we were leaving someone return this little scruffy thing said she was sick and shed too much!

Well it turned out she was a stray, just got spayed the day before, was microchipped, had a bad tooth removed, flea bathed ...you name it she had it done, poor thing! So we took her ... for only $8, since the previous people paid for everything else. And she wasn't sick at all she was just in pain from the surgery and she stopped shedding after a good brushing. We are very lucky!! The hard thing is leaving her while I am at work. She follows me everywhere, when I stop walking she stops, when I walk she walks by my side, when I sit she wants to go on my lap. Fiance is a bit jealous ... JK! She says Sugar is my new girlfriend LOL... She gets her stitches out next friday and finally can get a bath.

I promise to post pictures asap.

Awesome... Good job on adopting a pet that needed a home! We adopted our dog as well and she is the most appreciative pup ever.

Congratulations on your new dog and good on you for adopting a shelter dog. My wife and I adopted Daisy, a Basset Hound who was a day from being put to sleep. She was perfectly house broken, is great on the leash, doesn't bark excessively, and has been the sweetest dog you can imagine!

Barry

Well here is Sugar Lyn ... please I didn't name her the kids and wife to be did :rolleyes:
gallery_6182_366_18716.jpg

gallery_6182_366_7908.jpg

We've had a few accidents in the house. Which have been my fault for waiting too long. My only concern is she is really I mean really protective over our family. She is not afraid of big dogs at all. Man does she have a personality on her. :rolleyes:

Had her gated in the kitchen and dinning area but she has soon to figure out how to jump over or chew through the fence ... I've given up. I feel bad putting her in a kennel carrier. But overall she has adjusted really well. :thumbs:

Well here is Sugar Lyn ... please I didn't name her the kids and wife to be did :rolleyes:

We've had a few accidents in the house. Which have been my fault for waiting too long. My only concern is she is really I mean really protective over our family. She is not afraid of big dogs at all. Man does she have a personality on her. :rolleyes:

Had her gated in the kitchen and dinning area but she has soon to figure out how to jump over or chew through the fence ... I've given up. I feel bad putting her in a kennel carrier. But overall she has adjusted really well. :thumbs:

Don't feel bad about crating a dog when you can't keep an eye on them. As long as it isn't for hours on end and you're paying them enough attention, a lot of dogs (mine included) are more comfortable in a crate than in the open house. Our Golden goes in his all the time on his own and naps.

Don't feel bad about crating a dog when you can't keep an eye on them. As long as it isn't for hours on end and you're paying them enough attention, a lot of dogs (mine included) are more comfortable in a crate than in the open house. Our Golden goes in his all the time on his own and naps.
So would it be too long to keep her in one for 8 hours? I feel that may be too long ... and attention, she gets lots of it and she will let you know she isn't getting enough LOL. Good thing is she sleeps through the night.

So would it be too long to keep her in one for 8 hours? I feel that may be too long ... and attention, she gets lots of it and she will let you know she isn't getting enough LOL. Good thing is she sleeps through the night.

That may be a little long for a puppy. I'd try to arrange some way to let her out at least once during that time. However, if that's what you have to do, that's what you have to do. It sure beats having your house soiled and trashed.

It also could be dangerous to the dog to have it roaming free. Electrical cords, plants, and many other things that look good to puppies could cause a lot of problems for her and a lot of grief for you.

We can't always meet the ideals set forth by books and experts. Love the dog, treat her well, and she'll do the same for you guys unconditionally.