• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Big Green Egg

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
Thinking about getting my BIL (brother in-law) the Big Green Egg for his birthday and as a thank you gift for letting me stay with him during my move. Does anyone have the Green Egg and could share their thoughts and opinions of it? Also where is the best place to get one? Being without a laptop I haven't had a chance to search CP to see if someone else asked this questions or really look around on the Internet so any input would be great. Thanks.

I cannot give you much advice on where to get one but I spent the weekend grilling steaks and slow cooking some ribs on one. There is a learning curve on using a big green egg but it's worthwhile. They are very good. In fact, they are excellent.

That would be my ultimate piece of grilling/smoking ceramic cooker once I can justify the price to my needs. There are 5 sizes but only the XL, L, and Medium are worth investing on.

products-xl-with-mates.jpg

I have a double door propane smoker and a 22.5 Weber charcoal, but having the option of searing a steak at 700 degrees using a BGE is the coolest.
Your BIL is a lucky guy!

I have seen a few in action, and the results are impressive. I have never seen steaks cook up so perfect and quickly. I've had pizza made in one too, and it was fabulous.

I have seen the Green Egg in action and can tell you the results are great! That would make an awesome gift and I'm sure your BIL will thank you over and over again. Plus it is a good excuse to get an invite back!

Obviously this works well for smoking, acdording to the videos I watched. It seems like the meat would be directly over the coals, though. Is that not an issue?

Obviously this works well for smoking, according to the videos I watched. It seems like the meat would be directly over the coals, though. Is that not an issue?

For smoking on it, you use only a handful of charcoal to get the temp to 220-240 and once you adjust the bottom sliding vent for constant temp, the meat does not get scorched underneath. Rather the ceramic lining acts like an oven to surround the meat with dispersed heat and smoke from your wood chips or chunks (wrapped in foil). If you want to grill, then add your usual amount of coals, open all the vents (top and bottom) and it'll reach 700 degrees.

When I smoke meat on my round Weber using indirect heat method, I use only 1/4 of the charcoal, set it on the side and the temps stay low for an hour or two.

On another note, my local Costco has this floating around, similar but for less money. I played with it, but walked away. Once I reached the $500 level, might as well save the scratch for good stuff.

http://www.costco.co...alRight|ClickCP

The Costco by us (Brick, NJ) had them about 6 weeks ago. The price was a bit less than on the Internet plus it came with a bunch of free accessories and add-ons. Plus, no shipping charges on that heavy sucker.

I tossed it around in my head for days...when I finally decided to buy it and went back, they were all gone!

Check your area Costcos....you never know.

Obviously this works well for smoking, according to the videos I watched. It seems like the meat would be directly over the coals, though. Is that not an issue?

For smoking on it, you use only a handful of charcoal to get the temp to 220-240 and once you adjust the bottom sliding vent for constant temp, the meat does not get scorched underneath. Rather the ceramic lining acts like an oven to surround the meat with dispersed heat and smoke from your wood chips or chunks (wrapped in foil). If you want to grill, then add your usual amount of coals, open all the vents (top and bottom) and it'll reach 700 degrees.

When I smoke meat on my round Weber using indirect heat method, I use only 1/4 of the charcoal, set it on the side and the temps stay low for an hour or two.

On another note, my local Costco has this floating around, similar but for less money. I played with it, but walked away. Once I reached the $500 level, might as well save the scratch for good stuff.

http://www.costco.co...alRight|ClickCP

Keep an eye on it. I havent really seen those moving. Eventually costco will blow them out and might be able to get a good deal on one!!!

Don't want to link drop them, but I found some accessories I was looking for as a present to my father for his BGE.

Should be able to google: Fred's music and bbq

I didn't even see this until now. I can not say enough good things about my egg. I can do anything from thin crust pizza at 700 degrees to pork butts for over 24 hours without adding fuel. (my best is over 34 hours on one fill of charcoal). There are tricks to smoke cheese but it can be done. For those that are too lazy to drag their ass down and look there are all sorts of wireless addons and doo-dads and thermostat controls. You can spend more then the egg itself if you want. In short I wouldn't have anything else.

2nd what AVB said above. I got a Large BGE for Fathers Day from the wife and daughter this past year. It's amazing! Words can't describe how great it cooks; low and slow pork to steaks at 500 degrees to pizzas in two minutes at 650 degrees its the best outdoor oven, smoker, grill I've ever used. We made smoked meatloaf tonight!

Thread bump...I just bought one of the Large versions. Have done Two Beer can chickens , Ribeyes and some flank steaks since I bought it ( 4 days ago) . This thing is the real deal. It is pricey but the CEO of our company has had his fro over 20 years so this should be the last grill I ever buy. Can't wait to do Pizza,Brisket and some ribs...

I'm really thinking about getting one of these Eggs. I'm having a hard time deciding on the BGE or the Kamado Joe. Does anyone has any experience with the Kamado Joe? I have read a lot of good things about the Joe but the only time that worries me a bit is that the company has only been in business since 2009.

Christmas came early for me and I ended up buying the Big Green Egg XL. This thing is huge, well, bigger than I thought it would look like in person. I can't wait to use it! I'm planning on building a table for it.

This is the setup I got (everything is BGE brand):
- BGE XL
- BGE Nest
- Plate setter heat deflector
- Pizza stone
- Aluminum Pizza peel
- Ventilated grill cover
- Cast iron half moon cooking grid
- Half moon baking stone
- Premium 3 piece BBQ tool set
- Grilling Mitt

I probably over did it, but what the heck. Grilling while enjoying a great cigar is one of my favorite things to do in life.