• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bitter Cigars

Arazel

Okay, first let me paint the picture for you and then maybe someone can offer help.  I am a deployed soldier and have recently gotten into cigars and I am trying to learn more about it, but deployment is hard on maintenance and getting them even.  I order from cigarsinternational.com and I have two herf-a-dors and a humidor.  In my 40 count herf-a-dor just recently several of my cigars have picked up a bitter taste when smoking them which ruins the experience.  While they are not the most exspensive out there, the brands being gurkha, ave maria, ruination, cohiba and so on they are not the cheapest.  Right now I am very worried for my collection and I am at a loss for what to do about it.  Please help.

Have any of those cigars you mentioned ever tasted good to you?

Doc

The cigars have tasted good, and the over-humidifcation, I dunno, I am in Afghanistan at the moment and it is rather dry here normally, though we have had rain recently and I have not added any water etc to the herf-a-dor, unless it picked it up from the environment.  Is there a way to fix this?

First off, thanks for your service.

This is going to sound strange but it did happen to me so I'll pass it along. Wash your hands. There was a time when I was tasting something bitter on my cigar and I couldn't figure it out. I accidently licked my fingers and thought that the cigar had even tainted them but then realized that the reverse was true.

If this doesn't help the most you will be out is some hand soap.

Greetings:

We hope you continue to visit us here at CP and wish you a speedy and safe return home.

To clarify, you have two or three cigar storage solutions with you, the herf-ador and humidorThe problem restricted to one storage container but not the others? If restricted to one container, are all the smokes bitter or just a few brands?

If restricted to just a few, it could be construction, cigar age or just a bad blend. Cigars that are too fresh sometimes burn bitter because they contain too much moisture. I understand that cigars rolled too tightly can trap tars and cause bitterness.

If all the bad smokes are in one container, you may have a contaminant in that one container. Perhaps some of your buddies pulling a joke? What, soldiers don't horseplay? 

As Rob300c stated, bitterness can sometimes be the result of over-humidification. The pinch-test will tell you if your smokes are too damp or too dry. Pinch between your thumb and forefinger. There should be a little give, firm with some spring to it. If there are spots that retain the depression after you squeeze, it is too humid. If there is no give at all, then it would be too dry. (The degree of  firmness will differ from one make to another)

Are the smokes bitter from first puff or just in the last third of the smoke? Some of the cigars you listed might not smoke well to the end. Also, if you chew on the butt, then you can trap the tar and juices, resulting in some bitterness. Some claim (but I haven't experienced it), that notching your your stick with a v-cutter instead of a guillotine can also result in trapping tar juices.

Hope something here might help. I'm betting on a jokester in your squad.

BTW, we have a reception forum for new members http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/forum/34-introduce-yourself-here/. When you get a chance, stop by and introduce yourself, if you haven't already.

God speed.

Tar buildup was the first thing that came to mind.

There are several brands in that one case, effected with bitterness to varying degrees and normally from the first puff.  I will try all of these suggestions and go from there I really appreciate the help and support in this, soon enough it is back home and victory cigar with my family.

This is really not cool. Which was the company? I think its either the brand issue or the environment you have.

We wish you and all your comrads a safe tour and speedy return to home. Let us know when you're back and we'll have a virtual herf in your honor.

I believe it was a couple Gurkha sticks, and the other brands that had it I do not remember except being annoyed.

Ah yes, Cohiba was another that had that bitter taste as well, most noticed when my tongue touched my lips

SkyKing said:
Greetings:

We hope you continue to visit us here at CP and wish you a speedy and safe return home.

To clarify, you have two or three cigar storage solutions with you, the herf-ador and humidorThe problem restricted to one storage container but not the others? If restricted to one container, are all the smokes bitter or just a few brands?

If restricted to just a few, it could be construction, cigar age or just a bad blend. Cigars that are too fresh sometimes burn bitter because they contain too much moisture. I understand that cigars rolled too tightly can trap tars and cause bitterness.

If all the bad smokes are in one container, you may have a contaminant in that one container. Perhaps some of your buddies pulling a joke? What, soldiers don't horseplay? 

As Rob300c stated, bitterness can sometimes be the result of over-humidification. The pinch-test will tell you if your smokes are too damp or too dry. Pinch between your thumb and forefinger. There should be a little give, firm with some spring to it. If there are spots that retain the depression after you squeeze, it is too humid. If there is no give at all, then it would be too dry. (The degree of  firmness will differ from one make to another)

Are the smokes bitter from first puff or just in the last third of the smoke? Some of the cigars you listed might not smoke well to the end. Also, if you chew on the butt, then you can trap the tar and juices, resulting in some bitterness. Some claim (but I haven't experienced it), that notching your your stick with a v-cutter instead of a guillotine can also result in trapping tar juices.

Hope something here might help. I'm betting on a jokester in your squad.

Thanks, i am enlightened with your answer even though i did not asked the query. Now, if i am contacted with the same predicament in the near future, i know the reasons behind and i can hopefully solve it on my own.