• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Jon's blind review:

Ok here goes my first blind cigar review. Thanks for gifting me your request @kann, thanks to @xyz123 for the generous gift and thanks to my wife for goin and taking a cigar out and taking the band out of the package because Dan forgot lol. On to the review…

Started off with a rye old fashioned made the right way with angustora bitters, orange peel and a luxardo Cherry with double simple syrup and Rittenhouse Rye. The cigar had a nice flat end since it was a nice square box press so it was askin me to use a punch.

The smell of the wrapper has a nice dark Belgian candy sugar smell. I’m a home brewer and you use it to make Belgian dubbels and quadruples. Worth a google. Notes of caramel sweetness and leather. Bit of hay.

The dry draw I didn’t get a ton of flavors but hay and a tiny bit of leather.
AE5D8154-C70D-475D-9EB1-4E29862876AA.jpeg
First few draws I got flavors of oats and leather. Has a great draw and lots of smoke. I can tell this is a full bodied cigar. Guessing this is Nicaraguan but I’m for sure not an expert as this is my first review.
1FDF08B2-80E1-4FDE-B303-991862CD30C3.jpeg
The first 3rd I get lots of dry cereal like plain Cheerios with a bit of sweetness after a short time. Lots of leather and it’s a full bodied cigar for sure. Cigar is constructed well and burning pretty straight. Ash is holding on tight. Diggin the tunes I’m listening to. Went down a Muse rabbit hole listening to Matt Bellamy’s solo stuff and some of their EP’s and singles. Wether is nice and it’s been a nice relaxing Sunday. Perfect for a cigar.
A41D34E9-17A3-47E1-9790-8138966B7807.jpeg
2nd 3rd I’m getting lots of leather. I think I was smoking it too fast because some burnt toast flavors were coming through. As I slowed down the flavor went away and I got lots of toasted oats and cedar. I finished my old fashioned so I moved on to a pour of Henry McKenna 10. Fine whiskey with a fine cigar and some good tunes in some nice weather. Nothing better
78E6C87D-22F7-44D8-85F6-9C796C2F8376.jpeg
Last 3rd it was easily getting harsh so I had to slow down but then it got better so it might have been a weird spot. Nicotine strength is on the higher side as I’m gettin a good buzz from this one. Not on the crazy high side where I got a stomach ache but for sure on the higher side. Lots of hay and cereal kinda like life cereal. Slight sweetness and some leather. It went out on me even though I didn’t stop for a long period but it re lit well. Might have been a little too high on the rh but I don’t have a good dry box yet. As I nubbed it I got a bit of horse blanket you get from a good lambic beer and some good woody notes and hay.

Overall a great quality stick and I could tell it was one of the higher end brands as it was well constructed and was high quality tobacco. I am pretty sure I’m right with the Nicaraguan verdict. Now for the reveal…

A9748C87-BC49-456D-8E8E-F6DAD5BAF158.jpeg

I was right!!! Very nice cigar and I think I have only had one from this brand before. Thanks for the great stick Dan and I had fun doing this and relaxin and focusing on the cigar and the tunes I was listening to. Can’t wait to do it again. Cheers!!!

Please critique!!!

Ok here goes my first blind cigar review. Thanks for gifting me your request @kann, thanks to @xyz123 for the generous gift and thanks to my wife for goin and taking a cigar out and taking the band out of the package because Dan forgot lol. On to the review…

Started off with a rye old fashioned made the right way with angustora bitters, orange peel and a luxardo Cherry with double simple syrup and Rittenhouse Rye. The cigar had a nice flat end since it was a nice square box press so it was askin me to use a punch.

The smell of the wrapper has a nice dark Belgian candy sugar smell. I’m a home brewer and you use it to make Belgian dubbels and quadruples. Worth a google. Notes of caramel sweetness and leather. Bit of hay.

View attachment 56470
First few draws I got flavors of oats and leather. Has a great draw and lots of smoke. I can tell this is a full bodied cigar. Guessing this is Nicaraguan but I’m for sure not an expert as this is my first review.
View attachment 56471
The first 3rd I get lots of dry cereal like plain Cheerios with a bit of sweetness after a short time. Lots of leather and it’s a full bodied cigar for sure. Cigar is constructed well and burning pretty straight. Ash is holding on tight. Diggin the tunes I’m listening to. Went down a Muse rabbit hole listening to Matt Bellamy’s solo stuff and some of their EP’s and singles. Wether is nice and it’s been a nice relaxing Sunday. Perfect for a cigar.
View attachment 56472
2nd 3rd I’m getting lots of leather. I think I was smoking it too fast because some burnt toast flavors were coming through. As I slowed down the flavor went away and I got lots of toasted oats and cedar. I finished my old fashioned so I moved on to a pour of Henry McKenna 10. Fine whiskey with a fine cigar and some good tunes in some nice weather. Nothing better
View attachment 56475
Last 3rd it was easily getting harsh so I had to slow down but then it got better so it might have been a weird spot. Nicotine strength is on the higher side as I’m gettin a good buzz from this one. Not on the crazy high side where I got a stomach ache but for sure on the higher side. Lots of hay and cereal kinda like life cereal. Slight sweetness and some leather. It went out on me even though I didn’t stop for a long period but it re lit well. Might have been a little too high on the rh but I don’t have a good dry box yet. As I nubbed it I got a bit of horse blanket you get from a good lambic beer and some good woody notes and hay.

Overall a great quality stick and I could tell it was one of the higher end brands as it was well constructed and was high quality tobacco. I am pretty sure I’m right with the Nicaraguan verdict. Now for the reveal…

View attachment 56476

I was right!!! Very nice cigar and I think I have only had one from this brand before. Thanks for the great stick Dan and I had fun doing this and relaxin and focusing on the cigar and the tunes I was listening to. Can’t wait to do it again. Cheers!!!

Please critique!!!
Excellent! My only suggestion since you asked is to only drink water for a
the review so nothing is interfering with notes from the smoke. I'm no expert, just my opinion.

View attachment 56470
View attachment 56471
View attachment 56472
View attachment 56475

View attachment 56476

Please critique!!!

Awesome review Corey! I tend to agree with Joe, for a review I try to stick with water if needed. I also have a tendency to smoke quicker when I drink.. it's just too easy to get caught up in a good time. You weren't tanked, and picked up a lot of common notes associated with that stick, so I don't think it affected the review much.

That particular stick came out of a new LADC sampler fresh pack. So it went right out of that pack into the bag with the others. Could be why it went out. Prior to that did it seem like you were having difficulty keeping it going? Sometimes that makes us smoke quicker than we normally would.

But overall, great review and congrats on popping your review cherry! 🍒 And for getting so much right for not having a ton of sticks under your belt (yet!).
Was that the only one you've had out of there so far? I hope we get to see a lot more reviews from you soon! With that one now properly turned into ash, any thoughts on what you want next.. review or just chillin'? And yeah, yeah, I got a little distracted putting that thing together and forgot to pull the band... doh! 🤪

But I think it all worked out ok in the end! 🤔👍😛

nice lighter by the way! 😋

Thanks guys. I don’t think I’ve ever smoked a cigar without at least a coke lol. I’ll try that next time. Glad it was at least an ok review!!!

Awesome review Corey! I tend to agree with Joe, for a review I try to stick with water if needed. I also have a tendency to smoke quicker when I drink.. it's just too easy to get caught up in a good time. You weren't tanked, and picked up a lot of common notes associated with that stick, so I don't think it affected the review much.

That particular stick came out of a new LADC sampler fresh pack. So it went right out of that pack into the bag with the others. Could be why it went out. Prior to that did it seem like you were having difficulty keeping it going? Sometimes that makes us smoke quicker than we normally would.

But overall, great review and congrats on popping your review cherry! 🍒 And for getting so much right for not having a ton of sticks under your belt (yet!).
Was that the only one you've had out of there so far? I hope we get to see a lot more reviews from you soon! With that one now properly turned into ash, any thoughts on what you want next.. review or just chillin'? And yeah, yeah, I got a little distracted putting that thing together and forgot to pull the band... doh! 🤪

But I think it all worked out ok in the end! 🤔👍😛

nice lighter by the way! 😋
I mostly like to chill with a cigar and not review more than saying a score and a few notes. It’s fun to do once in a while so I’ll do one here and there. I like the blind aspect because it really gets you to think about it. I do it with beers with my buddies sometimes. It’s called black glass and someone brings a beer and pours it for everyone into completely blacked out glass and you comment on the flavors and what food you would pair it with. So now I just need to develop my palate with cigars. And I only had to light it the once. It stayed well lit besides that one spot in the last 3rd. I’ll prob smoke that trinidad next or the Goat. I’m really lookin forward to those