• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

Ok, here is the situation here Andy, when I heading to your house to hand you the cigars. I brought the envelop with me, and I must of had an VSG band in my pocket from the past. Because when I came home and empty my pockets I found the band of the cigar I gave you in my pocket and I swore that I put it in the envelop. I guess I did put something in there, which happens to be the VSG. However that cigar you smoked was actually a Cruzado Domenicos Corona Gorda :sign:

David

I thought the cap and not being a box press was weird to begin with . It had similar flavor to a VSG but not quite the same. Good though. Darker color then I imagined it would be.

I guess it's my turn again to post my Blind Review. This is a stick that I got from Robbie. Robbie is down in beautiful MIA where he can smoke in nice weather all the time. Today up in the Bronx, it was around 50....ideal outdoor smoking weather when you're on a fire escape. :laugh:

Even though I was outdoors, I wanted to christen the infamous ashtray that Northernmoris, Mike, gave me. Thanks again, Mike!

Feb01_0002.jpg

At first look, the wrapper was dark and had a little oily sheen to it, showing few veins. After I clipped the sucker, the draw was ideal, and I could taste a little bit of chocolate and hints of a fruity flavor.

Feb01_0003.jpg

Feb01_0004.jpg

Feb01_0005.jpg

Feb01_0006.jpg

Feb01_0007.jpg

Feb01_0008.jpg

The cigar at first gave me a creamy flavor that was constant throughout the whole smoke. It later picked up a nutty, coffee flavor with hints of a leathery taste. I put the stogie down for a second while I went back inside. When I came out, the aroma that the cigar was giving off was very similar to a smoke that I had smoked earlier and that I now wish I didn't smoke because now I have a strong feeling what it is. This cigar was excellent. The flavors were constant, the burn stayed even and I hated putting it down to take these pictures. I would definitely buy a box of these.

Earlier today I smoked a Tatuaje Cojonu 03. That's what it smelled like. It didn't taste like it that much but that's what I guessed it was.

Feb01_0001.jpg

Cojonu 2006. Fantastic smoke. Thanks again, Robbie

Nice review! I am still a little hesitant with my pallet and knowledge for cigars to try a review yet, but I will.

Let me start by saying I truly suck at reviews but am certainly gonna give it the old college try!

I have this gorgeous dark chocolate wrapped beauty measuring in around 54 by 5" sent to me by Sam. Slightly veiny and masculine in appearance, it has some hay and clean tobacco smell to it. Fired it up with my trusty 3.95 gas station butane torch and away we go. It is a beautiful 60 degrees here with a pretty decent wind in MD, so it is a perfect Feb. day to review!
On first puff I have the feeling I have smoked a cigar very much like this before, however I cannot even come close to naming it yet!It has a good tasting of barnyard with a very subtle sweetness like caramel. There is also a very faint tartness to it that seems to finish off with some spice as well. Burn started off ok, but had to touch it up within the first third.

Starting into the second third I can def feel like this is a med/full going towards full full bodied cigar. I can tell this by the faint buzzing. lol. this stick is starting to remind me of a LFD DL I had at a HERF in DE. Either that or the toaster waffles I had for breakfast didn't fill me up right! Flavor has stayed very consistent which is good since I have enjoyed it thus far, but I would like to see if maybe it could have more complexity in it ( Or my palate is not refined enough to distinguish it!) The burn has started to run a bit again, but it seeems like it will work itself out so we shall let it go! The ash at this point is a bright white that seems slightly loose. I don't think ash stands are in the future here. I am starting to almost think of my precious Liga Privadas here while smoking but the flavors just don't seem right for it. Which brings me back to the LFD. Seems like the sweetenss has gone away and replaced by more powerful spice and tobacco. Still feels as if the power is building but the cigar overall has mellowed out a bit as well. Hard for my nubness to explain. :) Only issue I have with this so far is the ash is very flaky and just will not stick around. lol

Going into the final third it is a very powerful cigar that has tastings of caramel, barnyard hay, spice and tobaco. It has retained its flavors throughout minus the tartness at the beginning. It has leveled off as a very full bodied cigar. Somewhat single planed however. I am enjoying this cigar. The great outside at over 60 degrees, birds chirping, sunlight blinding, giant glass of 02 and a cigar. What a gorgeous day! And the 22 month old is cooperating by taking a very nice long nap :) hehehe, who am I to wake him up before he is ready! Maybe when this burns out the wife and I can take him and the dog for a nice walk. Getting down towards the end of the cigar I am starting to get a bit of harshness, so I am thinking it is almost time to put this bad boy to rest. Yup, this has some power. A nice little lightheadedness hit me when I went in for a refill of water. This cigar has done burned its course! With just over an inch to go I am going to put it out. It has been a real fun time trying to review a cigar.

Final thoughts:
This was a good cigar. A bit fatter than most that I smoke these days, but very nice. I would not recommend this on an empty stomach however. A very good mix of spice and hay that ended with spice. A very in your face type of cigar. I would def give these a thumbsup and keep a few in the humi! I would have to guess some type of LFD DL just because of the wrapper and strength and the fact that it seems like a cigar I have had before. Hopefully I am close!!!....... Let us find out.

The envelope:
nd simon says! Wow. Liga Privada no. 9. I mentioned it early but went away from it due to the flavor profile and the strength! Very interesting. I have only had the toros and it is very good for me to see the difference between the two! I am very glad I was able to reaffirm my enjoyment of the LP line as well. Thanks Sam for a wonderful stick!!! Hope this wasn't too terrible a review, as I feel like my thoughts are kind of jumbly trying to put int into words! And now for the pics:

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2467.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

Size: 6.5 x 52

LFDL.jpg

LFDL1.jpg

I unwrapped the cigar and saw a nice construction and quality. The wrapper was smooth with good color, and only a couple of veins. Cap and foot showed a well rolled stick.

It started out a medium smoke with a creamy earthy flavor. The ash looked good and held on well. The strength increased and became spicier. I wasn’t crazy about this cigar at first, but got better as it progressed. Became creamy again as it got near the finish.
All and all, not a bad smoke.

LFDL2.jpg

I rated this cigar a 3.5 out of 5 on taste. A 4.5 on construction and look.

I pulled the band out of the envelope and was surprised to find it was a LFD Limitado III. It was the first one that I had the opportunity to try.

Thanks for letting me play

LFDL.jpg

LFDL1.jpg

I unwrapped the cigar and saw a nice construction and quality. The wrapper was smooth with good color, and only a couple of veins. Cap and foot showed a well rolled stick.

It started out a medium smoke with a creamy earthy flavor. The ash looked good and held on well. The strength increased and became spicier. I wasn’t crazy about this cigar at first, but got better as it progressed. Became creamy again as it got near the finish.

LFDL2.jpg

I pulled the band out of the envelope and was surprised to find it was a LFD Limitado III. It was the first one that I had the opportunity to try.

No guess? :angry:

Brian

LFDL.jpg

LFDL1.jpg

LFDL2.jpg

No guess? :angry:

Brian

I'm sorry. I was stumped. Not a clue... ???

Thanks to Kyle (smokintexas) for passing this un-banded smoke and the other sticks along.

A box pressed cigar about 6X50. It has a dark maduro looking wrapper which is thin, has fine veining and a smooth supple feel. There are a couple small blemishes that look like bug holes from when the plant was still in the ground, not from beetles! I choose a straight cut and get a good pre-light draw with earthy notes of coffee and mocha.

Upon lighting, which takes some time (as I find many box presses do), I get a fair amount of bluish smoke that has a somewhat dank and funky aroma. Into the first third, there is a subtle growing spice on the palate and through the nose. This is a med-full cigar with a medium finish. The easy draw lets the initial flavors of earth, mocha and coffee come though. The ash is light gray and falls at about an inch.

The second third reveals a touch of nuttiness as the spice increases on the palate. There is a slightly jagged burn, but no touch ups are required. A bit of creaminess in the smoke is now apparent and the flavors remain consistent, but building in intensity. I find the flavors to be unrefined and rustic, not unenjoyable, but a bit acute. However, I notice I have yet to take a sip of my beverage. I think it is Nicaraguan.

The final third shows little change in base flavors, rather a shift of the entire palette to darker more aggressive aromas and flavors. It is now closer to full bodied for sure. Regardless of the amount I purged, some unattractive flavors showed up, like asphalt and ammonia towards the last 1.5". I drank half my beverage during the last third and let it go out. I just remembered I forgot to take pictures.

Overall, the first two thirds of the cigar were enjoyable but turned against me down the stretch. It was dark and rich with good, but not overwhelming spice on the palate. The flavor was on the less complex side with some in your face tastes that progressed naturally. The ease of smoking and problem free burn added to the enjoyment. I would smoke this again if offered, but probably won't grab a box. I don't know what it is, but am leaning towards Carlos Torano Exodus. The last exodus I had wasn't as loud, so I am not sure. I thought briefly Rocky Patel or CAO, but I talked myself out of those. And the mystery cigar is............................5 Vegas "A"!!!!!!!! Upon looking online, it is the Apotheosis (box-press) 5.5" x 55 with a Costa Rican maduro wrapper, Nicaraguan binder and DR, Honduran, and Nicaraguan filler.

I like smoking cigars blind like this, so if anyone wants to trade an un-banded fiver, let me know.

Thanks again Kyle.

Alright gents, let me start by apologizing for the time lapse between receiving this cigar, and doing the blind review on it! Also, keep in mind this is my first ever review, so please go easy on me!

Pre-Draw: I took this stick out of the humi after having let it rest for about a two weeks and boy does it look enticing. A dark colored wrapper with interspersed veins running throughout and top notch construction at the foot. Before cutting it with my xicar cutter I smelled the stick up and down and didn't notice too much other than a slight smell of hay. Cut it, took a pre-light draw and though the draw was a bit harder than I am used to, it wasn't too hard. According to my hand dandy Ring gauge guide I'd say this cigar measures in at about 5 1/2" and a 48 ring gauge.

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

First 1/3: Lit 'er up and the initial draw was something I've yet to experience. I read all you folks saying things like "tastes of spice and pepper" and things like that but have yet to really be able to pull those out from my smoking experiences. The initial draw was a bit tight, but packed with an immense dark chocolate flavor as well as some coffee undertones (I might be way off base, but this is what I felt it tasted like.) The next few puffs tasted the same, a bit overpowering if you ask me, and the draw continued to be a bit hard. The burn began to become uneven, but this issue fixed itself as I got toward the second 1/3.

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

Second 1/3: The dark chocolate/coffee taste dropped off immensely which was quite strange to me. It went from being an extremely flavorful cigar, to kind of bland within a few puffs. The burn continued to be even, and the draw loosened up a bit which was quite nice. At this point I was tasting tobacco, hay, and MAYBE a hint of "spice" (I'm not sure if what I'm tasting is in fact spice, but its really the only way I can think to describe it.) About halfway through the this 1/3 the cigar began to burn pretty hot as well.

IMG_3150.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

Final 1/3: The draw tightened back up a bit, and the dark chocolate taste came back. The "hay" flavor fell off, and the "spice" stayed which left me with a very pleasant mix of spice and dark chocolate, with maybe a hint of coffee back as well. The burn continued to be perfect and the ash stayed on very well when I was being careful not to let it fall off.

Overall my experience with this cigar was a good one. The draw was tighter than I like but the cigar still burned pretty quickly which left me a bit perplexed. The initial dark chocolate/coffee was a bit overpowering, primarily because I am not used to such strong flavors in a cigar. I would gladly have a few of these sticks in my humi, but don't know if I'd go out of my way to secure a box of them.

The guess: Like I said, I've never really experienced a smoke quite as this, so I have absolutely no idea what to even guess. The dark wrapper would make me think maduro, but I really didn't taste anything sweet in there so I am not so sure about that. My best guess would be a RP double maduro robusto.

The Verdict: Santiago (of the Santiago's I researched online none of the bands looked similar so I am unsure of which Santiago it actually is)
IMG_3167.jpg

Special thanks goes out to Andy for letting me try out a stick I might otherwise not have! Thanks brother.

Here we go. Sorry no photos. :(

The cigar in hand is very pleasing to the eye. Nice chocolate wrapper, smells of young, fresh tobacco and is very firm as I roll it across my fingers. It is a little over 5" long with a ring gauge of 40-42. The construction was mint and the triple cap was excellently applied. I use my punch and get a very tasty pre-lit draw. A little cinnamon with coffee bean comes to mind.

The first puff was heavenly. Tons of smooth, rich white smoke filled the backyard. Cinnamon, coffee bean, and dark chocolate were the flavors that stuck out. The flavor profile reminded me of an Illusione 68 without the harshness the young ones tend to have. Very balanced and very sweet.

The second third was pretty much the same but the cinnamon was coming through big time with fresh leather. Construction flawless.

The final third was just as pleasing as the first puff. Got a little pencil lead toward the end with more leather but the smoke never got bitter and the exhale through the nose was pleasant.

Although there was no band in the package, I am sure it was a Tatuaje Noella. Two reasons:

1. I just smoked this stick yesterday and the flavors were nearly identical. Although the stick I smoked yesterday developed different flavors more rapidly.

2. Ed and I split a box of these at the Tatauje event in Boston. :laugh:

If I remember correctly, the date on the box showed it left the warehouse a coupe of months ago. These are smoking excellently right now. I can't see how they would get better with age but I will try to let one or two rest for a bit. The others will meet their end soon.

This was fun. Thanks.

Joe

Here we go. Sorry no photos. :(

The cigar in hand is very pleasing to the eye. Nice chocolate wrapper, smells of young, fresh tobacco and is very firm as I roll it across my fingers. It is a little over 5" long with a ring gauge of 40-42. The construction was mint and the triple cap was excellently applied. I use my punch and get a very tasty pre-lit draw. A little cinnamon with coffee bean comes to mind.

The first puff was heavenly. Tons of smooth, rich white smoke filled the backyard. Cinnamon, coffee bean, and dark chocolate were the flavors that stuck out. The flavor profile reminded me of an Illusione 68 without the harshness the young ones tend to have. Very balanced and very sweet.

The second third was pretty much the same but the cinnamon was coming through big time with fresh leather. Construction flawless.

The final third was just as pleasing as the first puff. Got a little pencil lead toward the end with more leather but the smoke never got bitter and the exhale through the nose was pleasant.

Although there was no band in the package, I am sure it was a Tatuaje Noella. Two reasons:

1. I just smoked this stick yesterday and the flavors were nearly identical. Although the stick I smoked yesterday developed different flavors more rapidly.

2. Ed and I split a box of these at the Tatauje event in Boston. :laugh:

If I remember correctly, the date on the box showed it left the warehouse a coupe of months ago. These are smoking excellently right now. I can't see how they would get better with age but I will try to let one or two rest for a bit. The others will meet their end soon.

This was fun. Thanks.

Joe

Correct :)

Sorry guys did not get to review my blind stick that I received from Joe. Life showed up this weekend and did not have any down time. Will try to get done this week but by the looks of it probably will have to wait until the weekend.

Brian

Finally found some time to post my blind review of the stick Joe(vinnyvega) sent me. Sorry guys no pics still can't get the camera away from my 18yr old daughter.

This stick measures about 5" and about a 50 ring, it has a tripple cap and has a light Colarado wrapper with one small vein running almost length of cigar.

I clipped the cap with my Palio and the pre-light draw was perfect with slight hint of coffee coming thru I toasted the foot and was greated with an amazing aroma before I even drew on this cigar I was thinking aged Cuban.

1st third was creamy and smooth with a light medium body with very subtle flavors of spice and coffee coming thru. At this time I was one track mind that this was a aged Boli RC.

2nd third the ash was stacked and salt and pepper in color burn was perfect and flavors picked up just a bit and I started to get some grassy notes that started to get me thinking that this was not a Boli but maybe a CoRo.

Last third I was hit with spice, coffee, and grass and it was a solid meduim in strength. This was a beautiful stick.

Conclusion is This stick had flawless construction, very complex with an aroma that was intoxicating. Because of the shade of this wrapper and the grassy notes that I was picking up I convinced myself that this was not a Boli RC but a CoRo.

Upon revealing the band of this cigar I was fooled. Because I was hung up on the shade of this cigar (I never smoked a Boli with that light of a shade wrapper) I convinced myself that it was a CoRo and came up with some grassy notes in my mind. I allowed myself to talk myself out of the Boli RC and go with CoRo in fact it was a.....

Bolivar Royal Corona.

Thanks Joe, that stick was amazing. By the way Joe what was the age of that stick? That was the best Boli RC I've ever smoked.

Brian

Finally found some time to post my blind review of the stick Joe(vinnyvega) sent me. Sorry guys no pics still can't get the camera away from my 18yr old daughter.

This stick measures about 5" and about a 50 ring, it has a tripple cap and has a light Colarado wrapper with one small vein running almost length of cigar.

I clipped the cap with my Palio and the pre-light draw was perfect with slight hint of coffee coming thru I toasted the foot and was greated with an amazing aroma before I even drew on this cigar I was thinking aged Cuban.

1st third was creamy and smooth with a light medium body with very subtle flavors of spice and coffee coming thru. At this time I was one track mind that this was a aged Boli RC.

2nd third the ash was stacked and salt and pepper in color burn was perfect and flavors picked up just a bit and I started to get some grassy notes that started to get me thinking that this was not a Boli but maybe a CoRo.

Last third I was hit with spice, coffee, and grass and it was a solid meduim in strength. This was a beautiful stick.

Conclusion is This stick had flawless construction, very complex with an aroma that was intoxicating. Because of the shade of this wrapper and the grassy notes that I was picking up I convinced myself that this was not a Boli RC but a CoRo.

Upon revealing the band of this cigar I was fooled. Because I was hung up on the shade of this cigar (I never smoked a Boli with that light of a shade wrapper) I convinced myself that it was a CoRo and came up with some grassy notes in my mind. I allowed myself to talk myself out of the Boli RC and go with CoRo in fact it was a.....

Bolivar Royal Corona.

Thanks Joe, that stick was amazing. By the way Joe what was the age of that stick? That was the best Boli RC I've ever smoked.

Brian

Glad you enjoyed it Brian. The box code is POS MAR '07. I was very leary about the shade of the wrapper when I first opened the box. I'll put a few side for you.

Bolivar Royal Corona.

Brian

Glad you enjoyed it Brian. The box code is POS MAR '07. I was very leary about the shade of the wrapper when I first opened the box. I'll put a few side for you.
Thanks I'd definetly would be up for a few. LMK

Brian

I was beginning to get concerned that I wouldn't be able to get to this, my very first review on CP, over the weekend because of the gale force winds we had up here Saturday. Fortunately, it calmed down Sunday and actually ended up being a nice 63'F day with little wind late in the afternoon.

This short chubby stick I received from Brian sports a coarse chocolate brown wrapper with several prominenet veins. Many may describe this cigar as "not the prettiest", but beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder because to me it's gorgeous.

2ndreview005.jpg

While a prelight nosing of the foot yields little more than light hay and tobacco, nosing the wrapper yields the overwhelming presence of chocolate evenly mixed with a barnyard odor, but not offensively barnyard in the least. I will admit that ever since receiving this cigar, though not side by side, mentally I've been comparing it to every cigar in my posession. The cigar is about five in. with a ring gauge I'm estimating to be 52, maybe 54.

2ndreview002.jpg

Prelight draw is extremely loose. I toast the foot, and few soft draws produce a perfectly even lit foot. The first draw tastes of cocoa and quality tobacco. I don't claim to be a supertaster, but there are a few other flavors going on here of which I can not distinguish one from another. There is something so familiar about this cigar. Not yet sure if I've smoked this particular cigar before, but I've definitely sampled from this maker. Maybe it's the presence of cocoa that's throwing me off.

2ndreview009.jpg

2ndreview010.jpg

2ndreview012.jpg

First inch and it's delicious. Maybe slightly dry for this brand, but very good nonetheless. At this point the burn begins to go awry. Because an even burn is an OCD for me, I'll give this about a half an inch before taking matters into my own hands. Shortly after passing the one inch mark it becomes clear this is a solid med/full bodied smoke and being slightly dry is certainly contributing to this. Another half inch and it's time to put this burn in check! But first.... I need something to drink.... and a jacket.

2ndreview014.jpg

I return with my glass of Arizona Green Tea and get the burn line in order. Not only is the loose bunching producing an effortless draw, but it's also producing a flaky and delicate ash. At an inch and a half, I'm shocked it's held on this long. I'm definitely starting to feel a little nic buzz and resolve to slow down as it dawns on me that I'm smoking this cigar pretty quickly.

2ndreview015.jpg

The ash drops at about the inch and three quarter mark and I perform my ritualistic first purge. This just cleans out the cigar and the first draw after the purge is....... umph, umph, umph!

2ndreview017.jpg

2ndreview021.jpg

Just past the halfway mark and all this time the wheels have been spinning. Four and a half inches, dark chocolate brown wrapper that smells of the same. Loose bunching, loose draw on tobacco of obvious premium quality and solid med/full strength. I continue smoking and a series of draws and purges brings me to the final inch. With one heck of a little nic fix on I decide it's time to bring this one to a close.

2ndreview022.jpg

I have to admit that I completely faked myself out on this one. Between the appearance and the chocolate smell I got from the wrapper I got one particular cigar in mind from the beginning, and for whatever reason was not able to let go of it. I was pretty surprised to see what it actually was, and admittedly a little disappointed in myself as this is one of my favorite cigar brands. An eye opening experience to say the least. You can best believe I'll be jumping back in on this again.

So what did I think it was? Graycliff Double Espresso

What was it really? LFD Cameroon Cabinet

Thanks Brian for the excellent smoke!

Glad you enjoyed it. They are very tasty. By the way nice review.

Brian