• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blind Cigar Review Thread #2

This is my first review so bare with me. This cigar was gifted by Amateuraficionado it looked and smelled incredible.

After letting it sit in my humi for a few weeks I picked it up yesterday as my lunchtime smoke at work. Which is why there's no pics. The cigar was about 5 1/2 inches long, I'd estimate it to be around a 46 ring gauge, was slightly box pressed, and had a triple cap. It had a dark brown chocolaty wrapper with a noticeable vein running down the middle.

I sheared the cap with my Palio and torched the foot. Initial draw yielded a sweet almost chocolate flavor which quickly changed to a more earthy, leathery, tobacco flavor. The cigar gave off thick puffs of smoke, the draw and construction were flawless.

Into the second third it started picking up strength with a spicy woody flavor. I have to admit that the cigar seemed familiar from the second I put it in my humi. The flavors and construction were only reinforcing this feeling. I really enjoy this cigar.

Into the final 3rd the spice and strength remains consistent. I'm getting more of a leathery flavor at this point and I'm sure I know what the cigar is.

I lay it to rest as just a nub and can't wait to open the envelope and see if my suspicions are correct. It was a La Riqueza as I suspected. The funny thing is right fromt the beginning I laid it n my humi next to 2 other La Riqueza's. My father in law and I smoked those Sunday afternoon and all through this cigar I kept thinking to myself how similar it tasted.

Thank you DeVonn this is a great smoke that I always enjoy, and it was alot of fun to do this first review. Next time I'll post pics I promise.

I managed to find time to sit down at review my mystery stick from jayro75 over last weekend while editing a memorandum. Unfortunately, my notes were on the back of a draft and subsequently thrown away. I do however have pictures and a few thoughts.

014.jpg

First Third - 8/10, I found this robusto sized cigar to have decent construction and a nice sheen to the wrapper. The initial puffs after my butane light were loaded an aggresive peppery spice, a little harsh on the tounge. I was worried, but this spice would not last more than a few draws where the cigar settled into one of the creamier smokes I've experienced with a subtle sweetness underneath. I couldn't stop putting this smoke down and I wonder if the rest of my experience suffered for that.

016-1.jpg

Middle Third - 5.5/10, As I progressed into the cigar I began to think I may be smoking something of Cuban origin. I am by no means well versed in everything the island has to offer but I managed to pick up different flavors that reminded me of a couple Habanos lines I haven't been able to get into. I don't know that I can described the flavors but they were reminiscent of the PSD4. A stick which I've experienced under a handful of times and have never enjoyed, but I can pick up its distinctness. The other flavor was from the Bolivar line, an earthiness that I could see others enjoying but has never done anything for me.

019.jpg

Final Third - 4/10, I'm having trouble remembering what the final third brought to the table, but I'm am sure that a slid down hill from where we started.

Overall, I would love to pick up a box of this cigar and would do so tomorrow if I could get a consistent first third experience out of it. Maybe I smoked too fast? Maybe it would benefit from some age? I don't know, but I am thankful for having the opportunity to give this stick a try.

The result - Juan Lopez Seleccion No.2

Jay - Thanks for a marca I have not experienced before.

Here's a review of the "mystery stick" I received from Los (NASTY).

I smoked it on my front porch with my usual Diet Dr. Pepper. Temperature around 80, weather cloudy and overcast.

Size:

Approximately 4 3/4" by 52 ring gauge

Appearance:

Light tan wrapper with one prominent vein

5-4-09_160.JPG

Triple cap and nicely packed filler.

5-4-09_164.JPG

5-4-09_163.JPG

First Third:

Light pepper finish, smooth & creamy, a medium amount of smoke.

Second third:

Finish cleaned up, the smoothness & cream taste persisted.

Final Third:

Stayed about the same.

5-4-09_175.JPG

Overall:

Good draw. Creamy Smooth taste throughout. Not a lot of smoke produced each draw but a decent amount. I smoked it down to the last 1/2 inch. This is a cigar I would probably purchase.

I'd have to say based on my limited experience due to the triple cap and filler that this was a CC but I have no idea what.

The Unveiling:

I was correct. The "mystery stick" was a Ramone Allones, RASS '08.

Thanks Los!

Nice reviews, guys. Glad you enjoyed the RASS.

I'm going to finally put some fire to that mystery stick Casa Soho sent me.

Knowing Los I could've told you it would be a RASS before you even lit it. I think he's got a coolerdor dedicated to them.

I just finished smoking CasaSoho's blind cigar and boy did it trick me.

Upon inspection, the cigar was roughly a robusto size with what appeared to be a triple cap. I didn't want to determine that it was cuban because I've been wrong before.
DSCN0800.jpg

DSCN0801.jpg

I punched it and the pre-light draw was perfect with the right amount of resistance. Once I lit it, I didn't pick up any distinctive tastes. It started off as a pretty mild and relaxing smoke. Slowly, some pepper and light cocoa hints started to show itself.

DSCN0802.jpg

Once I hit about the 2/3 mark, I got smacked. The cigar really picked up in strength and the pepper taste was definitely present. I kept trying to guess what it was. I was really enjoying the cigar at this point. All I had to drink with this was some water and it's a damn shame too. I just finished my Hennessy and I had no tequila either. All I had in my house was my wife's Malibu---ewwww and that pink stuff, Novu and I'm not even attempting to drink that. :laugh:
DSCN0804.jpg

All of the strength subsided by the time it reached the final third. Although there still was the pepper and cocoa taste lingering, it wasn't as potent as they were. Overall, I really enjoyed this smoke. The construction was virtually flawless and the draw was excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to give this cigar another go. I'm really stumped on what this was and I'm not going to guess :laugh:

The cigar was a Tatuaje Red Label maybe a Nobles.

We were probably smoking a Nobles around the same time today. This stick has stayed consistent for me. Glad you enjoyed.

Tonight was a great night! I had my herfing buddy over, and him along with my roommates and girlfriend all barbequed up some steaks, grilled corn, and some sauteed asparagus. We then built a fire in the pit, cracked a couple cold ones, and lit up some sticks! My girlfriend had an Arturo Fuente Privada #1 Maduro, my herf buddy had an Avo No. 2, and I had the same. I was saddened though, as mine was a dud with zero flavor save for a bit of a sour flavor. I tried my herf buddy's and his was spot on, and both were from my humidor. Guess it was just one of those sticks, oh well, gives me an excuse to have another one! :sign:

OK...So Breedy (Brandon) sends me this stick.

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

The night I received it I looked it over. It had a nice triple cap. Wrapper looked a little old to me and the scent was floral. I f someone asked me right then and there what it was I would have said Cuban...maybe even old Cuban. Light wrapper and not alot of veins.

So I head into the Man Cave in my garage...to start my research. Yeah I KNOW I need to do something with all those cords...get off me neat freaks.

IMG_1217.jpg

Cigar measured in at 7x48. It also was very light in my hand. not alot of heft to it. I clipped it with the Xicar and pre-light draw was nice and open. With some pepper/tobacco taste.

I torched the foot and blew on the embers (just like Kingantz does) ...took a couple small puffs and then a nice draw. I was rewarded with ALOT of smoke. Right away I started thinking this couldn't be CC because it was to mild. But I reserve judgement because it is to early to tell.

First 1/3

Floral flavor. Alot of creamy but mild smoke. This can't be Cuban I keep telling myself. But what if its a really old Cuban...well shit I dont know...I 've never had one. All I know is its not like anything I've had before. Towards the end of the first 1/3 I get some Pepin flavor. Not alot...but enough to maybe put me on a track.

Second 1/3

IMG_1261.jpg

Geting some nuttiness and faint but distinct Pepin flavoring. Kind of like a "Pepin Light".

Burn has been razor Sharp and still alot of smoke...and still what I would consider mild. I realize I have to start making some decisions.

Last 1/3

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

Basically same profile but maybe a little stronger. The only stick I have ever had close to this was a Pepin El Rey Delos Habanos.

so thats my guess as you can see.

IMG_1272.jpg

But I was wrong..

Cabaiguan Imperiales

Nice stick Brandon. Never had one of these before. But the Pepin profile was still there so I wasn't completely stumped.

This was a blast and I loved really focusing on the profile . It was a great learning experience...

edit for spelling..

The cigar in question came to me via MOBIG. It had a dark-oil wrapper with several decent sized veins. It was boxed pressed with a nice triple cap and was approx 5.75 inches in length and had an RG of 46ish.

BCR2001.jpg

If it wasn't for the boxed press shape this reminds me very much of an ISOM. Taking the general size, feel, smell and boxed press shape, I am 85% certain I know this cigar.

BCR2004.jpg

First Third: The pre-light draw was near perfect and very spicy. Upon lighting I am greeted with strong spice and a lot of power. It is very reminiscent of Tat J-21. The strong spice and power yields after the first few puffs revealing the taste of cedar and roasted coffee, but are still present on the tongue. After the strong start I am now 95% of this cigar.

BCR2006.jpg

Second Third The power and spice yield more, mellowing out to a medium bodied cigar. I am picking up fine tobacco with a hint of spice and even a little vanilla flavor.

BCR2010.jpg

Final Third The power and spice pick back up, fitting right back into the Tat line profile. The box shape and Tat profile can only mean one line....

BCR2011.jpg

La Riqueza and in this case it was a #3. The general appearance and boxed press shape were fairly obvious clues and the fact that I have half a dozen assorted Riqueza setting in the humi didn't hurt either. The strength and flavor upon lighting was right in line with pretty much every Tat that I have smoked.

A great line of smokes, a must if you never had one, and if you haven't had one for a while...Well why Not?

A big thanks to MOBIG

I figured a few days downtime in the humi should be good enough, so am firing up the blind cigar received from Frank (Franco593). The cigar is approximately 5 ¾ x 40, has a dark brown, blotchy wrapper, noticeable oils, and small veins running the length. It has only a slight give when squeezed, a good weight in the hand, and with the well-constructed cap punched I find a draw with a perfect amount of resistance. Taste is of good, straightforward tobacco with a hint of cocoa.

With fire to the foot, first draw I get a blast of strong black pepper spice on the back of the throat with the smoke a very full body. This is one very strong cigar! After about an inch or so, taking slow, short sips of the smoke, I’m getting a sweet earthy flavor and possibly a hint of dark roasted nuts as well. The finish is good immediately after exhaling, however very short, not lasting long at all.

A third of the way in and the spice is mellowing slightly, however the body is still very full. Sweet earth is still coming through in the flavor, dark and somewhat rich, however this flavor doesn’t last very long once the smoke is exhaled. I’m thinking this is a blend of some sort, possibly Nicaraguan and Honduran tobaccos. I’m leaning towards a Drew Estate, however I’m also thinking a Dion smoke. Hmmm….

There’s a strong, medium gray ash forming that holds well until ashed about every inch or so. The draw is spot on with an abundance of strong, full-bodied smoke flowing freely with strong black pepper spice on the back of the tongue and throat. I continue to get an immediate sweetness from the smoke as it hits the tongue with dark earth continuing to be the predominant flavor. The finish is excellent and quite rich on the palate, however it’s still not lasting long after exhaling, very short.

The final third was where this cigar really started to shine as the spice seemed to mellow slightly and the very full-bodied smoke became somewhat smooth. Flavor was still that of sweet, dark earth but seemed to become more “dirty”, if that makes sense. Tons of smoke was produced, even with the smallest of sips, with the finish lasting a little more than it had, quite delicious on the palate.

This was possibly one of the strongest cigars I’ve ever smoked. Through the first half or so, powerful spice and full-bodied smoke was more than abundant with sweet, dark earth flavors. The burn was sharp with a strong ash and a perfect draw throughout. I enjoy strong cigars, so this one was a good fit for my palate. The only thing I would say is the finish didn’t last quite as long as I would’ve liked, however still a great smoke.

I’m guessing either an Illusione, or a possibly Liga Privada of some sort as the flavor profile seems to be there, however the size doesn’t quite match anything that I can think of so am probably completely off base. Either way, thanks for a great smoke Frank!

05-25-09FrancosBlindCigar001.jpg

05-25-09FrancosBlindCigar002.jpg

05-25-09FrancosBlindCigar003.jpg

DSC05406.jpg

And the cigar is...

DSC05413.jpg

Illusione Epernay Le Elegance!!
5 3/4 x 40

DSC05416.jpg

:D

I knew you would be close....and that I'd never completely fool you. I'm surprised you thought these were full bodied. This first one I had was a bit on the mild side. I'll have to test the other ones that have been sitting a few weeks..

Good Job Greg..

I knew you would be close....and that I'd never completely fool you. I'm surprised you thought these were full bodied. This first one I had was a bit on the mild side. I'll have to test the other ones that have been sitting a few weeks..

Good Job Greg..

It was most definitely full bodied, a power house to my palate, and my palate's pretty tough. :D Maybe the roller slipped a little something extra in there.

First off guys go easy with me my first review ever.
Sorry for the delay on the review but I was saving the moment I got the stick from Fishin345.
Corojo wrapper pigtail and unfinished wrapper, 6 x 48 I think.
Medium bodied with a rich full flavors to the palate including, nuts and some spiciness. Smooth burning cigar and a nice ash went well with Hennessey on the rocks. I would’ve thought it was a CAO but they don’t make a cigars with a pigtail and unfinished so I stop guessing & enjoyed the smoke … it turned out to be a Camacho 1962 Pre-Embargo
Thanks Joseph
MEMORALWEEKEND09046.jpg

MEMORALWEEKEND09047.jpg

MEMORALWEEKEND09049.jpg

MEMORALWEEKEND09051.jpg

MEMORALWEEKEND09060.jpg

MEMORALWEEKEND09062.jpg

MEMORALWEEKEND09065.jpg

MEMORALWEEKEND09093.jpg

Sorry for the delay on the review but I was saving the moment I got the stick from Fishin345.
Medium bodied with a rich full flavors to the palate including, nuts and some spiciness. Smooth burning cigar and a nice ash went well with Hennessey on the rocks. I would’ve thought it was a CAO but they don’t make a cigars with a pigtail and unfinished so I stop guessing & enjoyed the smoke … it turned out to be a Camacho 1962 Pre-Embargo
Thanks Joseph
MEMORALWEEKEND09060.jpg

MEMORALWEEKEND09062.jpg

MEMORALWEEKEND09065.jpg

were the hell did you find grass we all know that type of grass isn't found in the Bronx

Thanks Joseph
MEMORALWEEKEND09060.jpg

MEMORALWEEKEND09062.jpg

MEMORALWEEKEND09065.jpg

were the hell did you find grass we all know that type of grass isn't found in the Bronx
What you expect me to be in my fire escape like Nasty :whistling:

Thanks Joseph

What you expect me to be in my fire escape like Nasty :whistling:

LMAO! :laugh: Now that was funny right dere!

I got home from work at a reasonable hour today so I decided it was time set fire to the cigar I got from Kingantz in the Blind Cigar pass. This was a classic robusto size, 5" by what appears to be 50 ring gauge. The wrapper was a darkish brown without too many veins. Preconceptions abound on this cigar and it only made things more difficult for me. Since Greg sent it, I was reasonably sure it was from the ISOM. As soon as I lit it, I felt reasonably sure I could rule out the Habano theory, though. First couple draws were pretty smooth, not harsh at all. My immediate thought was that it was an Illusione 88, but those are 5x52 and I didn't think this cigar was that big. Easy to exhale nasally. It didn't taste like a Fuente to me and I didn't detect the initial Pepin spice blast, so I was a bit stumped. It seemed to leave almost a sweet taste behind. I enjoyed it down to the last inch. My thought was that it could be a Liga Privada robusto and that's what I settled on.

I was wrong. It was a Padilla '68 robusto. Interesting too, because when Jeff, Greg and I were going a GB for the Cohiba Genios, they wanted to do the Padilla '68s as well and I passed because I didn't really care for them when I last smoked them. Shows how smoking blind can fake you out!!!