• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bloom on a cigar

ricmac25

Token Cuban Guy
So I have this Montrecristo Edicion Limitada Robusto with what I hope is bloom on the cigar. (It's white not blue.)

Is it possible for this to go away? I was hoping to save it for a special occasion, but if this is as good as its going to get I'll make up some special occasion.

Thoughts?

As far as I know, bloom only goes away when it falls off or is brushed off. I am sure it will be as good for a while longer. At least a year if not 3-4. It all depends on how you feel about the cigar getting milder. As a cigar ages, it gets milder, at a certain point, not only does the strength leave, but the flavor goes also. I have never heard of a Habana peaking in less than 4 years, But I suppose the smaller one could.

Emo

Whoa hey now, wait a second Emo. Cigars mellow as they age, but loose flavor? What about all the pre-embargo cigars and even older stuff that people always flip out over?? If it's as drastic as it sounds the way you say it you would think they would "smoke by this date" tags or something? If you keep the humidity corect the sticks are suposed to keep their oils and retain a good flavor aren't they??

No, oils evaporate my friend. So if they are protected by cello, they will evaporate slower. Also, if they are kept at a higher RH the oils will evap slower. If they are kept at a lower temp the oils will evap slower. So logical deduction applies, if you want to keep cigas for 20 years, keep them at a low temp and high RH with the cello on.
People flip over pre-embargo because they are free from embargo laws from what I understand. After my disposable money clears itself, I am going to put it towards aging Habanas and great domestic cigars.

Emo

Ric, it's not bloom, it's mold. You should send it me for proper disposal. :D

ric, it's not bloom, it sounds like mold........oh hell!
SD beat me to it.
CURSE YOU RED BARON!!!

Bloom or Mold?

Now, not all cigars mellow with age. They also do not all lose flavor. A properly stored cigar's flavors can actually evolve into a stronger taste. If a cigar is stored properly for the duration of it's life, the loss of oils wil be minimal and the flavor will mature. I've had 30+ year old Montecristos that still had the distinct Montecristo taste and blew me away with the powerful spice they still had. I've had pre-embargos that were obivously not stored properly, which will be the case in probably 90+% of them since humidification technology has advanced in recent years.