• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

bloom

mhn

okay, since AllOfUs decided to rehash the cello on/off subject :p :p

I actually have no desire to re-hash this subject yet again. I did a bunch of searching both here and elsewhere and cannot find an answer to my question.

I understand the difference b/w bloom and mold, but a couple of cigars I have are exhibiting characteristics which at first I thought was bloom but i really don't know.

basically, there are a couple of spots maybe a 1/4 in. square that are covered with a very thin "film". its kinda clear, but not really. im not sure how else to explain it.

is this bloom? if so, it's definitely not what i expected it to look like after reading ALL of the threads about it.

peace,
Mike

ROTFLMAO!!! I have thought this very same question COUNTLESS Times on 4-5 different cigars I have.

Sounds like bloom, I would not worry about it. kind of looks like a snail trail to me.

phil

Phil said:
kind of looks like a snail trail to me.
YES!!! that a perfect description.

I'm glad it's on an OPUS :0 :thumbs:

mhn said:
Phil said:
kind of looks like a snail trail to me.
YES!!! that a perfect description.

I'm glad it's on an OPUS :0 :thumbs:
Dont smoke it yet, wait till that bad boy is covered!!!!

I have many styx that look like this also. I bagged them up and took them to a few shops to get a straight awnser and .............YES, IT IS BLOOM!!!!

I was told to rotate these styx to the bottom of my box and forget about them for another year. And the resualts this far (6or7 months later) are looking like they are going to be awsome in a few more months!!!

To bad it is not contagious...........if it was it would make for starting one hell of a pass!!!!

lucasbuck said:
Yeah, the all bloom and yellow cello pass! :D :D :D
but would you take the yellow cello off or leave it on for the pass

:sign: :sign: :sign: :sign:

The best description I have heard for the difference is that mold is 3d, bloom is a film. Also, mold will stain the wrapper and is harder to get off than bloom - try gently wiping it off. If it comes off fine then it is bloom. If it takes a little effort and leaves a dark spot behind then it is mold.

Yeah, the all bloom and yellow cello pass!   

Hey LB, if you're starting it, I'M IN!

On second thought, let's request that this thread be moved to "Open Cigar Passes"
:sign:

Phil said:
Sounds like bloom, I would not worry about it. kind of looks like a snail trail to me.
If it looks like snail trail, its probably just a little extra saliva from the roller's mouth. :sign:

Matt R.,

Nice post, thanks for the link. I like his blacksmithing site, 'specially the tanto knife.

4A

Hmm... I just looked at and read the link Matt posted... I was under the impression Mold was always NOT WHITE (either grey, green, dark, etc)... where Bloom (I thought it was called Ploom with a P), was always white or very light or transparent.

I have about 3/4 box of cigars from early 2001, in my cooler, in which the cigars inside were covered with white "3d" fuzz... I was told by MANY people it was Bloom, but I removed it anyway- it did not stain or damage the cigars in anyway. And you could litterally blow it off. It wiped off without effort. But honestly, it looked like what the guy in the link above, posted and pictured as mold... It was bright white fuzz.

So I guess I have 2 questions...

1) If what is on the cigars is not just little specs, but actually a white or transparent fuzz, is it mold or bloom?

2) Do you want to leave it on or wipe it off? I mean do you smoke the cigar while its covered with that "stuff"???