• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blue Note

Shooter

Living life on the heavies.
Well trudging through the Charlotte airport yesterday, I found a cigar shop, much to my surprise. Nothing better than stumbling upon a shop and finding some rare cigars, so I stopped in to check. They had nothing special but did have some pipe tobacco.

Knowing nothing about pipe tobacco I grabbed a tin of Blue Note "A fresh and gentle blend for a most satisfying pipeful of happiness" it says. I grabbed cause I am huge blues fan.

Wow this stuff can deodorize a room, not to mention it took me forever to open it, I had no idea these things are vacuum packed.

Got it home and pulled out my cheap little meerschaum and fired it up, It was a good smoke for me and I think with upcoming winter months it might be something the wife will let me smoke indoors around her. Has bourbon vanilla flavor, must be the "Moontrance" of cigars.

Any way it was a welcome change from cigar nubs....ACK

Shane

I think we have some of that roaming around here somewhere. Haven't tried it yet.

I'm stuck on DaVinci right now and Ashton "Rainy Day". Both great.

I have some BLUE NOTE from an ALTADIS sampler. I find it very enjoyable and it goes good with a cup of Joe. Similar to NIGHT CAP.

:thumbs:

Just an FYI the Blue Note and NightCap offerings by Altadis are *nothing* like thier namesakes by DAN Tobacco and Dunhill.

DAN's bluenote is exquisite, where I find the Altadis version to be pretty boring and tasteless, but it smells really good on the air. It's not bad, it's just not very good. That's my experience though.

The Altadis version of Nightcap is meh-okay, not something I'd stash for the future, but not bad once in a while, IMHO, though the Dunhill version has gone thorugh some changes recently since Orlik took over doing the blending instead of murrays. It's not as good as it used to be, but it's still much better than the Altadis version.

Again, these are just my opinions. You smoke what you like ;)

Just an FYI the Blue Note and NightCap offerings by Altadis are *nothing* like thier namesakes by DAN Tobacco and Dunhill.

DAN's bluenote is exquisite, where I find the Altadis version to be pretty boring and tasteless, but it smells really good on the air. It's not bad, it's just not very good. That's my experience though.

The Altadis version of Nightcap is meh-okay, not something I'd stash for the future, but not bad once in a while, IMHO, though the Dunhill version has gone thorugh some changes recently since Orlik took over doing the blending instead of murrays. It's not as good as it used to be, but it's still much better than the Altadis version.

Again, these are just my opinions. You smoke what you like ;)

That's good info. I figured as much. I have some Da Vinci from Dans and it's outstanding. I've found most of anything from Altadis is pretty lame.

You are quite correct......I noticed the difference in "NIGHT CAP". Tried the ALTADIS and then we had some sent to us from a local B&M.

Can't wait 'til I get home and try the better grade "BLUE NOTE" as well.

Thanks for your comments......very useful.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

I have smoked the Altadis Nightcap but not the Dunhill.I believe the Altadis is an aromatic but the Dunhill is not.Is this correct?

I have smoked the Altadis Nightcap but not the Dunhill.I believe the Altadis is an aromatic but the Dunhill is not.Is this correct?

Most definetly correct.
Although, the Dunhill has a smell to it that reminds me of a scabby bandaid. Don't think that qualifies as an aromatic though ;)

Most definetly correct.
Although, the Dunhill has a smell to it that reminds me of a scabby bandaid. Don't think that qualifies as an aromatic though ;)

I guess it's all in the nose. I have a dog who would think that's exquisite.

:laugh:

Well trudging through the Charlotte airport yesterday, I found a cigar shop, much to my surprise. Nothing better than stumbling upon a shop and finding some rare cigars, so I stopped in to check. They had nothing special but did have some pipe tobacco.

Knowing nothing about pipe tobacco I grabbed a tin of Blue Note "A fresh and gentle blend for a most satisfying pipeful of happiness" it says. I grabbed cause I am huge blues fan.

Wow this stuff can deodorize a room, not to mention it took me forever to open it, I had no idea these things are vacuum packed.

Got it home and pulled out my cheap little meerschaum and fired it up, It was a good smoke for me and I think with upcoming winter months it might be something the wife will let me smoke indoors around her. Has bourbon vanilla flavor, must be the "Moontrance" of cigars.

Any way it was a welcome change from cigar nubs....ACK

Shane

Shane, you are absolutely right that Cao uses the exact same flavors in the moontrance, it was modeled after the very popular Blue Note which is distributed exclusivly by CAO.

Al

I absolutely LOVE Dunhill's Nightcap and, IMHO, it is the only true tobacco worthy of having the "Nightcap" namesake. =) Its Latakia and Perique which are largely responsible for its "aroma" upon opening the tin, though I use that word not to suggest that it is an aromatic...it most certainly isn't. But absolutely love this tobacco. Always have. You get it going, and flavor upon flavor upon flavor comes out...leather, woodiness, cinnamon, cloves, etc. Exquisite, as is most of the Dunhill line.

i just ordered some dans blue note today and a can of sweet vanilla honeydew. im looking forward to both. ive read good things about both of them. i will keep you posted.