• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Gold Medal box dated 2007 - ORs?

Kid Montana

I came to possess a 10ct box of Bolivar Gold Medals with a box date of 2007. Since they were discontinued in 1998, issued as a special edition in 2004, and then returned to production in 2007, does this box count as an OR or does that distinction not apply to this sort of release schedule? I got my information on this cigar from http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand.aspx?brand=Bol|ivar and picked the box somewhat randomly and didn't know exactly what I was getting.

FWIW I think the original run was discontinued in 1992 not 1998. I would definitely be careful about calling them an OR. The real OR was pre-embargo, although that isn't necessarily common knowledge. Usually I would say if someone refers to an OR BGM they are thinking of the 2004 Wolter's release, which I have heard fetches a massively higher price than recent production. Really, based on my understanding, a 2007 boxcode wouldn't even be OR for this run, as some have reported 2006 boxcodes.

FWIW I think the original run was discontinued in 1992 not 1998. I would definitely be careful about calling them an OR. The real OR was pre-embargo, although that isn't necessarily common knowledge. Usually I would say if someone refers to an OR BGM they are thinking of the 2004 Wolter's release, which I have heard fetches a massively higher price than recent production. Really, based on my understanding, a 2007 boxcode wouldn't even be OR for this run, as some have reported 2006 boxcodes.

Yup! I have some from 2006. I was just looking at the box code earlier today.

Thanks for the info. My gut instinct told me they couldn't be called ORs but there was a hope that I had something even more awesome than they already are.

Yup! I have some from 2006. I was just looking at the box code earlier today.

I heard from people who know about such things that these (2006 release) are some of the best blended cigars in decades

Just enjoy them...The BGMs are my favorite Bolis...OR or not.

I heard from people who know about such things that these (2006 release) are some of the best blended cigars in decades

There was a special release in 2004..
They were set for re-release (new production) in 2007, but some came out in 2006...and they ARE fantastic. :love:

As for which I like...2006, 2004, 2008, 2007. 2009.

The 2004's are not cheap...and I've yet to see more 2006's.

JFYI, the 2004 (re release) of the GM are usually referred to as the "Wolters Release" when describing them...

~brooks

I have several '06 boxes. :)

Yes, OR is not '07 as several have stated. According to the good Dr., they were originally discontinued in 1992...except I had this box of 2000 BGM's that were gifted to "certain" visitors of the Partagas factory some time ago. :whistling: But I'm an idiot and traded it for something else. :sign:

Phil, when you move to the "right" coast, we'll enjoy some Wolters together. BTW, that's the only way I have referred to them.

POS NOV06...the month my son was born. I remembered this when on my search, but instead bought a 50 cab of SLR Regios of the same month and smoke one every year on his birthday. :thumbs:

I'll add...Gary, come on down to Baltimore and we'll smoke some fun stuff (of the legal...well maybe not :)...variety)

It may be sacrilege but I think the 06 might be b etter than the wolters :eek:

Give it a year and the '08's will be better than all of 'em.

Point is...who the hell knows!!!! That's why I buy them all. :thumbs:

The Gold Medal is my favorite CC in general. Mighty fine smokes they are.

I have a box of '08's waiting for my wedding day in August of 2011.

I can't wait to try them. :)