• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar PC - Mold?

symyn

I bought a box of 25 from a reputable retailer over in Hong Kong, that arrived today. 2 of the cigars had some green coloring, not all over, but in certain areas of the cigars. 1 is about a half inch from the foot, and the other is right under the band.

I have quarentined these 2 cigars and will post pictures tonight. Let me know what you think...

Where you able to rub the "mold" off?

These sticks are shipped dripping wet. Add 2 weeks of travel.. And you got potential for anything to grow.

If it is really a mold or defect, what you need to do is to take some pictures of the two "mold" cigars and send them to the vendor. I am sure the vendor will send the two replacement cigars to you.

Had something similar on a couple cigars, and it definitely was not mold in my case. Seemed more like dye or something had seeped into the wrappers. Never really figured it out, but they smoked just fine.

Yikes. I wanted to help but it would take almost half an hour to load the nearly 5MB of pics. Someone with broadband is going to have to lend you a hand.

Wilkey

You would have loved it if I would have thrown them inline ;)

I'll try to get some smaller ones up in a bit.

That does not look anything like mold to me. It looks like a discoloration in the wrapper. What is the box code on those smokes? I ask because I am in the market for a box of Bolivar PCs.

Not mold. Many Cubans have green spots. I don't recall seeing a green spot quite that large, but that is what it looks like to me. Pretty cigars though. If you are really concerned the vendors usually will replace with your next order. But that does not look like serious damage. I agree that the discoloration is a large spot.

Yeah you should be fine. Mold isn't going to follow the wrap like that does. It's a discoloration, what causes it specifically, no clue. I've had boli's with little green spots, nothing that big, but they smoked fine.

Nope, not mold for sure. I think those green spots are water marks under the sun during harvesting. Correct me if I am wrong. :)

Cool deal. Box code KBE OCT 05 Also, as a sidenote the box seals were already broken when I recieved the box, is this normal?

It is common practice. Some vendors do open the box for inspection prior shipping out their cigars. Unless you ask them not to.

It's not mold. Mold is fuzzy and three dimensional.

Doc.

It is common practice. Some vendors do open the box for inspection prior shipping out their cigars. Unless you ask them not to.

This raises an interesting thought of "Wouldn't the dealer see the green spots and replace them?" I am going to smoke one :)

I am sure your vendor saw the green spots. It just a minor cosmetic defect not serious at all. That why they still sent the box to you.

If you still have doubt, send the pictures to the vendor and ask for replacement.

Could you tell me your source in Hong Kong through PM? I was in Hong Kong last month & visit one of my regular vendor. The director explained a lot things about Cuban cigars to me. The vendor does have a huge humidor in his office to sell singles. Because he was too busy, I didn't have chance to go to his bonded warehouse, where he stores all the tax-free imported cigars from Cuba. :(

I am sure your vendor saw the green spots. It just a minor cosmetic defect not serious at all. That why they still sent the box to you.

Like Gaman said, just water spots. Only an aesthetic problem. Will not affect the smoke, burn, or taste one iota. No need to send them back IMHO. The vendor did not replace the cigars, because there was no need to. You should enjoy them. :thumbs: