• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar Petit Corona, Montecristo #4

///M

I managed to get my hands on 1 box each of Bolivar PC and Monte #4 a few weeks ago. Thus far I have smoked 2 of each, and let me just say this: the Bolivars have been the two best cigars I have ever smoked in my life. WOW! They literally tasted good enough to eat. It's going to be tough to hold off from burning the entire box in the next few months.

As for the Monte, the first one was quite good, but not as good as the Bolivar. The 2nd one really dissapointed me. I was amazed at the difference from two cigars of the same box. Is this typical for this particular cigar, or ISOM's in general? I am going to let them rest for a few months and then try another one, and am really hoping this was an abnormality and not an indication of how this box is going to smoke. From what I have read, these are some of the more popular ISOM's on the market, so my expectations for the remainder of the box are high.

Any other suggestions on what to try next? These two cigars are the extent of my ISOM experience, so some direction on what to try next would be much appreciated!

Aaron

///M...It is true that the Montecristo No. 4 is probably the most popular Cuban cigar in the world. They make about 22 million of these petit coronas a year. That is a lot of freakin cigars. IMHO because of the shear volume of No. 4s made, there are inconsistencies in terms of the roll, and I would imagine the tobacco used for them as well. The No. 4s might get some of the less desireable tobacco, just becasue they need the leaves to meet the demand. Bolis while phenomenal cigars in their own right, and good sellers, don't sell anywhere near as well as the Montes...

That makes sense, thanks. We'll see how the rest of them smoke. A buddy of mine has a couple of Monte #2's, I'm going to try and talk him out of one of them and see how it tastes compared to the #4.

///M...It is true that the Montecristo No. 4 is probably the most popular Cuban cigar in the world. They make about 22 million of these petit coronas a year. That is a lot of freakin cigars. IMHO because of the shear volume of No. 4s made, there are inconsistencies in terms of the roll, and I would imagine the tobacco used for them as well. The No. 4s might get some of the less desireable tobacco, just becasue they need the leaves to meet the demand. Bolis while phenomenal cigars in their own right, and good sellers, don't sell anywhere near as well as the Montes...

I would rate the #2 as more complex, one of my absolute favorites. I like the #5's when I have less time to devote to a cigar, or in the winter. Some of what you're experiencing may be due to the "sick period" as well. I'd say, let them rest for a while, try one or two a month, and see how they develop. Otherwise, thechenman is right on.

Best of luck, I'm sure that most of that box of Monte's won't disappoint.

Any other suggestions on what to try next? These two cigars are the extent of my ISOM experience, so some direction on what to try next would be much appreciated!

Aaron

Aaron-

Consider the RA Small Club Corona; good value and full-flavored.

Cheers
Drew P

Monte #4 is a hit or miss cigar. Some are really good, but alot of them are plugged and has inconsistent flavours. If you like the Montecristo taste, then go for #2,#5, petit edmundo...and for special occasions go for the EL 2008 Montecristo - Sublimes.

Heres a few more CC`s that you should try:
Partagas - Serie D No.4
Partagas - Serie P No.2
Hoyo De Monterrey - Epicure No.2
Hoyo De Monterrey - Petit Robusto
Cohiba - Maduro 5 Genios
Cohiba - Robustos
Romeo Y Julieta - Short Churchills
Trinidad - Coloniales

LOL mango was not quite what came to mind with the #4.

Was the Monte mango-fruity like?:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. The RyJ short Churchill and partagas series P no 2 have been on my list for the last few months. I'll try to mix some of the others in as well.

Had another Boli PC last night, and it was just as good as I was expecting.

Aaron

The monte's will never be as good as the boli's, IMHO.

Bolivars are either love them or Eh, what's next?

If that's how you started with ISOM cigars and you like them, then there is very little chance of giving them up.

I started with Bolivars and have never looked back. Try the Coronas Extra, very similar in flavor and strength to the PC. Lots of people like the Belicosos Finos. If you like Bolivars chances are you will also like the Partagas line-up. Like the Bolivars; they have pronounced flavors, complexity, medium body, and age well too.

Yeah the Boli's have a really great complexity and full body taste. I haven't been smoking much in the last week or so, I hope to mix a few new smokes in the near future.

I'm sure I will find others I enjoy, but the Boli's are at the top of my list for sure. I want to age some of the PC's but need to get my inventory built up a little better so I won't smoke all of these now!

I started with Bolivars and have never looked back. Try the Coronas Extra, very similar in flavor and strength to the PC. Lots of people like the Belicosos Finos. If you like Bolivars chances are you will also like the Partagas line-up. Like the Bolivars; they have pronounced flavors, complexity, medium body, and age well too.

I have a box of monte 4 at home, and I will second the ''give them some time '' advise, simply put, they a great cigars. They do not taste like Bolivars, but to everyones their taste. To me it has to do with the sick period, like previously mentionned. You should have seen my face when I opened a box of Trinidad coloniales only to find out: They stinked....bad! 4 years later, they are deeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllliiiiiishhhhhhhhhhh!!
They were very ''green '' cigars, and now that they have settled, the are quite good. Forget about them, and come back a couple months/years from now....

Well gang, this is like being selected for a jury. If I have to swear to tell the truth, I can't afford a box on anything from ISOM. However, if one of you could put together a 5er, each stick different, I would be happy to pay a fair price. This is about the only way I am going to find out what you are talking about and what I am missing.

Gracias;

Pugman

I have a box of Monte #4 that I am loving right now it is 3 years old.... But i am finding an occasional plug.

I have a box of Boli PC that is pretty fresh and i am finding it is smoking great!

overall i think i am liking the boli's better because i am not finding a plugging issue with them.

Well, I decided to try another #4 against my better judgement. To my pleasant surprise, it is really good! Smoking it right now with a glass of Mac 12, and I'm happy to find out that I may have just had a bad one last time.

They still need some time I think. I had every intention of not touching them for 6 months, but I had to see if they were all bad. Now I'm looking forward to another one instead of wondering. It's no Boli, but I'm no longer dissapointed!

Aaron in Austin

I love the Monte 4s. I always keep multiple boxes of these on hand and smoke them over time.

Bolivar is touch and go for me. A few vitolas I really like, the rest are meh.... Montecristo 2s and 4s are a staple in my humidor. The Especial 2 is fast becoming one as well.