• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bolivar - Royal Coronas

stogieman

" Herf King "
After spending the day at West Point watching the Army vs. Bucknell Baseball game, I decided to smoke a stogie put away for some time. Tons of creamy smoke with lots of flavor. I have a couple more of them sittin' in the humi and I can hardly wait to put fire to the others........ :D :thumbs: :p

Recently acquired a box of these beauties. Haven't had the pleasure of smoking one yet, I want to let them sit for a while to make the experience as enjoyable as possible. Glad you enjoyed yours, making it hard for me to wait!

You picked a good one, Charlie. This bad boy is one of my favorites.

Wilkey

I stopped recommending these ;)

The 06 examples have been outstanding, nice selection Charlie.

I always keep a few of these in my Humi, sort of a go to smoke for me (The last 5er I bought was covered in bloom). Has anyone else found that unlike other Bolis these aren't as powerful? Great smoke though.

Really! I've found the mid 06 RC to be pretty powerful but also quite rich. I actually think they're among the most full-bodied of recent vintage Bolis, not counting the 07 BBF which I have but just can't bring myself to break the cab they're so beautiful. :p

Wilkey

I'm not saying that they're not strong (compared to a RyJ Exhibicion #4 for eg), but I've found that the BBFs and the Coronas Gigantes I've smoked to be stronger on average. Of course the RCs I've had have all had a couple of years on them. I'll have to try and track down some more recent ones if you reckon they're stronger.

Well, 2006 RC come across to me as stronger than 1997, 1998, 2003, and 2005 Gigantes. Historically, I can't really say as the RC only recently found a place in my stock.

I've recently sampled some 2002 Exh4 and they'be been fantastic but not quite as potent as the 06 RC.

Wilkey

I will have to revisit the RCs and Gigantes and reconsider my opinion. You certainly have more experience and knowledge than I have aquired in my short time in this hobby and although taste is a subjective matter, I take what someone with your standing says very seriously. I am prepared to admit that I may have formed a false impression of the RCs and I will enjoy smoking more of them to test this out.
The Exhibicion #4s are great aren't they. Do you prefer them to the Short Churchills?

Pete

Pete,

Don't put more stock in my opinion or tastes unless over time, they prove to mirror your own. :) If you have a good impression of the Boli RC, then your impression is on target, as far as I'm concerned at least. ;)

I'd say they are two fairly different cigars. The SC are more direct, especially the young ones in tubes. But the Exh4 are more satisfying, on average. Well, at least lately. But honestly, my tastes change on a micro scale quite dramatically and this might be evidence of such a change. Historically, I've really loved everything Bolivar but in the last year or so, have become less enamored of the profile, especially of the Coronas Extras, Coronas, and Petit Coronas. The CJ and the RC are the only vitolas that consistently delight me these days. I suppose I'm on a bit of a Ramon Allones kick.

There's so much good stuff out there, how can you go wrong these days? :D

Wilkey

Thanks for the advice Wilkey, this hobby is a great learning experience and being able to converse with knowledegable and experienced smokers adds another dimension to the education process. I have really enjoyed every Boli I've tried and I always have a few in the humi. You're right about it being hard to go wrong, there are heaps of great smokes out there.
As far as being on a Ramon Allones kick, I hear ya, I absolutely love the SS and have smoked a couple of the Estupendos RE. They are nice, but I suspect a couple of years will do wonders for them.

Pete

I have a box of RC dated mar06 that I got in aug of that year. I found them VERY strong, but the flavor a bit muted. I will break one out in a couple of months to check on the progress.