• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bomb protocol

BlindedByScience

Proud Father of a Kearney, NE LEO
This came up in another thread, and I thought it's worth it's own thread, for all our new members and as a reminder to those of us that aren't so new. As far as bomb protocol, I'm in the school that doesn't think posting pics or providing details are proper. Our very own SamClemmons said it best, several years ago...and, I agree 100%;

"....Am I the only one that has issues with people saying exactly what was sent to them or what they sent? I think this is bad form. There was a time here and elsewhere when folks simply voiced there appreciation for an unexpected "bomb" by saying thank you and then qualifying their thank you with things like... I am floored . . . You were way to generous . . . I can never repay you . . . Are you insane. . . Above and beyond . . . Incredible. . . and the like, to express their thoughts on the generosity of the sender.

The reason for the anonymity of the contents of a bomb or trade is really quite simple. There are folks who are more generous with some people than they are with others. There are people with deep pockets and those for whom the bottom line is much closer. Maybe a guy is a friend with someone off line and decides to crush his friend with premium sticks or maybe he just likes someone and sends a little something. The point here is that if the contents of a bomb or trade is openly discussed it puts an unfair pressure on the sender or receiver to duplicate their generosity with the next guy...."

Food for thought - B.B.S.

Was just thinking about this the other day. Thanks brother!!

Purchases, PIF’s, or trades are different and are not considered bad form to post everyone.

It's not a sticky? Make it so, please. Although, it will still happen now and then. New members are like kids in a candy store. Getting them to read stickies is like asking that proverbial kid to read his Bible instead.

SamClemmons, hmmmm where is that guy?

I was guilty as a newb, myself, I'll admit. As such, I've become an activist for this information to be stickied ever since that time. I'm usually told, "a helpful reminder is usually enough since it doesn't happen that often". I still contend that it should be a sticky with the rest of the rules and protocols, and I will die on that mountain...

I really don’t care one way or the other but if we’re going to call it out we should be consistent. We’ve had mass bombings where the Mark was encouraged to publish the booty.

CP has changed over the years as new members join and others have left. I think that instead of an edict for protocol that Tom and Neil’s posts be considered as an option and not really “bad form”.

First off, it's not an "edict" as I tagged my post "Food for thought".

Second, I'm going to follow the suggestion for the reasons originally posted. Yes, CP has changed a lot but the reason we're where we are today is the customs and practices of the past. One man's opinion.....

I really don’t care one way or the other but if we’re going to call it out we should be consistent. We’ve had mass bombings where the Mark was encouraged to publish the booty.

CP has changed over the years as new members join and others have left. I think that instead of an edict for protocol that Tom and Neil’s posts be considered as an option and not really “bad form”.
m
I agree on all counts. After all rules are always suggestions in disguise. Like that stop sign on a country road where you can see a mile in either direction AFTER harvest.

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, after all. :) So it's just a suggestion with the explanation behind it? No one is likely to be banned for this.

m
I agree on all counts. After all rules are always suggestions in disguise. Like that stop sign on a country road where you can see a mile in either direction AFTER harvest.

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, after all. :) So it's just a suggestion with the explanation behind it? No one is likely to be banned for this.
I disagree on both counts here....

“After all rules are always suggestions in disguise.”

This statement basically says, ‘I’ll do what I want, damn these silly rules... I’ll interpret them as I see fit.’

Wow...

Your second point...”Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, after all.”
Right here you’re justifying your earlier point by insulting anyone who disagrees with you by saying they’re small thinkers.

Wow again...

I’m actually shocked to read this point of view.

A bomb has always represented a personal gesture, a gift from someone who reads what you post, read about your likes & dislikes, read where you mentioned something that you never would have thought of buying for yourself/couldn’t afford/can’t find, or just reaching out to someone who needs cheering up. Posting pictures of bombs could cause some people to think ‘gee, he bombed him with better cigars that what he bombed me with’...and that cheapens the gesture. It’s the act, not the content of the act.

I’ve had guys bomb me with yardgars that meant more to me than the super premium cigars sent to me by members that could afford to do that...and I smoked every last one of them. Why? Because of the meaning behind the gesture. Posting pictures takes away from that because when some people read the thread and look at the selection, opinions are made within us to either outdo that bomb or cower as they think, ‘no way can I match that bomb.’ We’ve all been there.

That was the unspoken reasoning of not posting pictures behind these acts of kindness. We’re all on equal ground, we’re all B/SOTL, what brought us together is one single thing...a cigar. Regardless of what it cost.

Now, the lone caveat here is the goofy bomb, something sent to a person as a joke...non-cigar related. A lot of us have had this one done to us too! Like Paul receiving paper towels from Bill...stuff like that can’t match any amount or quality of cigars received.

One thing I’ve always been cognizant of here at CP is the history & traditions. I didn’t create any of this, I’m just a guest of the original hosts that started this site along with Rod. In some ways I feel as if I am trusted with this rich tradition...as if expected to uphold them. Because of this feeling I don’t look at myself as small minded....just respectful. It’s not up to me to change a tradition because it doesn’t meet my approval, it’s how I learn to appreciate other points of view.

As BBS says....just one man’s opinion.

Last edited:
People can get way too serious on cigar forums. It's only rock and roll.

Am I really the only one that ever broke a rule or was inconsistent in applying principles?

Where is the nation of terrorists that told the British Empire to go pound sand?