• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Books revisited

mmburtch

Sleep deprived and cranky
As I'm sitting here reading JRR Tolkien's saga The Hobbit and The Lord of the Ring for about the tenth time, I got to wondering what books you go back to and read time and time again. I was discussing this with my wife last night, and we both thought of books from high school that we would like to go back to without the threat of tests or book reports to skew our enjoyment. I think the first of those for me will be Joyce's A Portriat of an Artist.

I keep saying I'm going to go back and re-read this or that, but I never do. There are still so many great books to be read. However, when the day comes... I will go back to Steinbeck.

James Clavell's Asian Saga: Shogun, Gai-Jin, Nobel House, Taipan, King Rat, Whirlwind
Stephen Donalson's White Gold Wielder Series: Lord Foul's Bane, etc.
George R.R. Martin's Ice and Fire saga
Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt Novels
Tolkien's Lord of the Ring and The Hobbit
Wilbur Smith's African Series on the the Courtney's and the Ballantyne's and the River God series (Egypt)
and many many more.......

H. Kephart "Our Southern Highlanders"

Dr. David Fairchild "The World Was My Garden"

I (re)read anything and everything by Hemingway and Steinbeck routinely, as well as J.D. Salinger and Mark Twain. Have their entire works in my collection, with several first editions and I cannot ever seem to get enough of them.

Others that would definitely warrant going back and (re)reading are the works of Jack London, William Faulkner, Carson McCullers, John Dos Passos, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Stephen Crane, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Tennesse Williams, Sherwood Anderson, James Fenimore Cooper, Rudyard Kipling and Upton Sinclair, just to name a few.

I (re)read anything and everything by Hemingway and Steinbeck routinely, as well as J.D. Salinger and Mark Twain. Have their entire works in my collection, with several first editions and I cannot ever seem to get enough of them.

Others that would definitely warrant going back and (re)reading are the works of Jack London, William Faulkner, Carson McCullers, John Dos Passos, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Stephen Crane, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Tennesse Williams, Sherwood Anderson, James Fenimore Cooper, Rudyard Kipling and Upton Sinclair, just to name a few.

WOW... ditto all of the above! Especially Hemingway, Salinger, Twain, Faulkner, Williams and Kipling. This is a FANTASTIC thread by the way!!! Seeing all of the authors above instantly brought me back to a great time in my life I don't often think about anymore. I have to give this one a li'l more thought.

DeVonn

Great thread! I wish I had the time to read as much as I did several years ago, it gets tough to do with young kids. A lot of great authors mentioned above, I've read through the LOTR books several times, great books. I really got into science fiction in high school & college. I've read both Isaac Asimov's Foundation series and Frank Herbert's Dune series a couple of times. Also have read Catch-22 and a few of Michael Crichton's earlier books a few times.

I've re-read all the Harry Potter books, when a new movie/book would come out.

I have reread and continue to reread Jimmy Buffett's books: A Salty Piece of Land, A Pirate Looks at 40, Joe Merchant, Tales from MArgaritaville. I also have reread W.E.B. Griffin's Brotherhood of War and The Corps Series.

Dostoevsky's major works
A School for Fools- Sasha Sokolov
Moscow-Petuski- Venedikt Erofeev
Master and Margarita- Bulgakov
Collected fiction- Borges
Complete short stories- Kafka
David Copperfield and Bleak House- Dickens
In Search of Lost Time- Proust

I read constantly and couldn't be more excited about discussing this subject! :thumbs:

Moby Dick. The best damn book any American has ever written.

Doc.

Wow, an awesome board here with so many readers. I enjoy reading and re-reading so many books........ God where to being and end

Clive Cussler
W.E.B. Griffin any series
James Patterson
A lot of fantasty especially dragon related
Harlan Coban
Love Stephen Kings Gunslinger series
Harry Potter series

And it just goes on and on. I must have 20 boxes of books that I just need to make a small library for, as I just look through em and find something that catches my eye and re-read it. :)

Don

Dean Koontz' Mr. Murder. Also, a lot of Carl Hiaasen's stuff. He is laugh out loud funny.

I usually re-read anything by George Orwell, I'm a big fan of Animal Farm and 1984, Alduous Huxley's Brave New World, Farenheit 451, The Great Gatsby, Of Mice and Men, Steinbeck in general I suppose.

I also like war/conflict history, anything about the Mogadishu Conflict, as well as LOTR books, and a little book by Ted Dekker called "Thr3e."

I really wish I could remember the books I was "forced" to read in grade school, my memory must be leaving me in my young age, or there is too much going on in there to retrieve my old memories!

I didn't 'know you could read Matt??! ??? :0 :whistling: :laugh: :D
Seriously - Thomas Paine's Common Sense, Jack London's Call of the Wild, O'Henry short stories, just about any Charles Dicken's novel, Victor Hugo shorts, Thomas Jefferson essays, Joy of Cooking, Vladimir Nabakov, John Cheever, and Anne Coulter, just to name a few. I don't usually set out to read these, I usually just happen to pick one up and the next thing I'm reading it again. One of the few indulgences my parents had when I was growing up were books, tons of them, and a library to put them in. Great place to lay up recouperating from whatever the previous days exploits wrought, windows open, buried deep in the pages, and only the breeze to disturb my reading. Wow, I guess I do miss those days.

I'm always rereading Carlos Castaneda. Does that count?

I reread something from Vonnegut quite often.

Moby Dick. The best damn book any American has ever written.

Doc.

Certainly one of the best.

Try Cormac McCarthy. Blood Meridian is brutal and awesome and All The Pretty Horses is one of the best books I have read in 20 years. I have read them both several times.

Edit: spelling

Oh fun...I will re-read Chaucer's work called, "The Canterbury Tales" in Middle English verse. I even pull out stuff like John Milton's "Paradise Lost" and "Areopagitica" that he wrote. I guess I have a soft heart for real writers. :D