• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Boston

Nimrod

Time to rethink my everything
Just wanted to say the goalie helmet looks cool.  That bronze/gold sticks out.  The Boston uniform in general is lame.

I'm not even a Boston fan but how could you suggest the jersey is lame?  Actually, not a fan of any of the original 6 teams but each jersey is iconic and should never be changed.

It's hard to take anyone seriously that doesn't know hockey players wear sweaters not jerseys.

Doc

The Black Cloud said:
I'm not even a Boston fan but how could you suggest the jersey is lame?  Actually, not a fan of any of the original 6 teams but each jersey is iconic and should never be changed.

Teams can benefit by changing the logo.  The Patriots are a good example.
You want to build your fan base?  Aim for the 18-35 year olds.  Do you think they know or even care about the 6 original teams? 
The letter B looks like a mainframe letter from the 50s.  Add better graphics.  And if you want, do a "throw back" games like they do in other sports.

As for the Penguins.  I can't tell if Boston is playing really well or Pitt is playing really bad.  A score in the first minute and last minute of the period is awful defense imo.

Devil Doc said:
It's hard to take anyone seriously that doesn't know hockey players wear sweaters not jerseys.

Doc

I am amazed at the technological advances pertaining to clothing.  A thin layer of polypro can keep you warmer than the thick polyester of yesteryear. 
I would hope the nhl uses the best at what is available instead of a wool sweater.  Though I am yet to find something better than wool socks in the winter.

Nimrod said:

You want to build your fan base?  Aim for the 18-35 year olds.  Do you think they know or even care about the 6 original teams? 
The letter B looks like a mainframe letter from the 50s.  Add better graphics.  And if you want, do a "throw back" games like they do in other sports.

As for the Penguins.  I can't tell if Boston is playing really well or Pitt is playing really bad.  A score in the first minute and last minute of the period is awful defense imo.

The original 6 teams built their fanbases back in the 20's and 30's.

Personally, I think the Kings would benefit from keeping their jer..., sorry, sweaters, the same and not altering them every few years.  It builds brand recognition and keeps the history.  The most gorgeous Kings sweater I've seen in recent memory were the updated purple and gold throwbacks they debuted a few seasons ago.  I wish they'd switch to those full time.

The Black Cloud said:
The most gorgeous Kings sweater I've seen in recent memory were the updated purple and gold throwbacks they debuted a few seasons ago.  I wish they'd switch to those full time.
I love these

p13596458dt.jpg

Nimrod said:

Let me see if I can help you a bit. It's called a sweater out of tradition, not because of what it's made of. If you came from an original
six city, you'd understand.
Patriot fans of all ages hate the "Elvis" logo as it's called around here. I don't care what your age is, most folks prefer "Pat the Patriot".
As far as the Bruins vs Penguins series, sure the Pens have Sidney Crosby, the best offensive player in the league, but the B's have "Z" the best defenseman. The other thing is the Bruins ain't exactly chopped liver. This team won the Stanley Cup two years ago. They are as well coached and disciplined as any team the league. I don't think any one, with any hockey knowledge, thought this was going to be a walk-over for Pittsburg.

Doc

The Black Cloud said:

Personally, I think the Kings would benefit from keeping their jer..., sorry, sweaters, the same and not altering them every few years.  It builds brand recognition and keeps the history.  The most gorgeous Kings sweater I've seen in recent memory were the updated purple and gold throwbacks they debuted a few seasons ago.  I wish they'd switch to those full time.

Look at the original Bruins jersey.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1298006-nhl-the-25-most-hideously-ugly-jerseys-in-nhl-history/page/3

What is that thing in the middle?  lol.  

You made a good point on Brand recognition.  I do like that King jersey you posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gLjtuPRCq08

Boston is just kicking our ass so far.   It seems like they have 8 guys on defense at all times.   Tonight is make or break for the Pens.   I would start Fleury tonight and hope he can get hot.  The stars for the Pen's have played horrible so far.  If they have any chance to get back into this series, they need to be at their best for 60 minutes.   Should be a good game tonight.

LETS GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If people don't like the logos of the original six, I blame the marketing departments. Being from what is now called "Hockey Town", I would NEVER change these logos, it's called tradition.

Ian

I agree with not changing the logo's! Who gives a shit about the logo if it sucks. The original teams keep it simple and not flare up their uniforms to attract fans. You know what attracts fans around here in NE WINNING and better yet standing with the team when their losing. (Doc knows more about that than I do)

Nimrod said:

Look at the original Bruins jersey.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1298006-nhl-the-25-most-hideously-ugly-jerseys-in-nhl-history/page/3

What is that thing in the middle?  lol.  

You made a good point on Brand recognition.  I do like that King jersey you posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gLjtuPRCq08

In the center of that sweater is a Bruin as in the Bear.... Technology has changed just a bit from when women were probably sowing those sweaters by hand back in 1924! 

You will see the same logo here from time to time during home games. Since it is now 2013 and clothing is now made be computer driven machines the detail has increased slightly...LOL
Bruins50.png

GO BRUINS!

Paul, a lot of these folks don't realize that Boston's nickname is the Hub, because of the way the streets were laid out, so the logo doesn't make sense to them.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
Paul, a lot of these folks don't realize that Boston's nickname is the Hub, because of the way the streets were laid out, so the logo doesn't make sense to them.

Doc

Makes sense...

I think the logo/uniform changes are not about history, posterity, building brand/team recognition, or building a fan base.  My opinion is that it comes down to dollars and cents.  You change the uniforms and a good percentage of the fan base will be out buying new team apparel.  Maybe not everyone, but certainly a sufficient number of them will be lining the pockets of the NHL.  It's simple merchandising.  I think it's the same reason why you see some players change their numbers from time to time (Kobe Bryant comes to mind).  Players get a small fraction of their jersey/sweater sales...at least in the NBA.  If you have a top selling jersey, that little bit can add up for the player.  So they capitalize on it.  Yup...it's all about the money.

thefatguy said:
If people don't like the logos of the original six, I blame the marketing departments. Being from what is now called "Hockey Town", I would NEVER change these logos, it's called tradition. Ian

I agree, the original six should never be changed. But, we should have more talk about the game and less about what they are wearing :whistling:

pyro92 said:

If people don't like the logos of the original six, I blame the marketing departments. Being from what is now called "Hockey Town", I would NEVER change these logos, it's called tradition. Ian

I agree, the original six should never be changed. But, we should have more talk about the game and less about what they are wearing :whistling:

I'm going to save my opinions till the series is over. I don't want Doc to yell at me again...  :laugh:

It's not what you say it's how you say it. To avoid jinxing the team one could say, "The Bruins are playing well, but the Pens are a good team and I still expect this to go 7 games and the team with the hot goal tender wins it." :cool:

Doc

I agree I am waiting for Crosby and his boys to get there shit together which better happen soon for their sake. I never watch any Pens games but it seems to me like they rely on the goalie way to much and the B's are the exact opposite. If the Pens are going to have a fighting chance they need to play better Defense. I also agree that I think it will go seven games... 

No matter who your team is enjoy the game!!!
Go Bruins!!!

wkoti said:

The most gorgeous Kings sweater I've seen in recent memory were the updated purple and gold throwbacks they debuted a few seasons ago.  I wish they'd switch to those full time.
I love these

p13596458dt.jpg

The current sweater itself is nice, I just don't like the "homeplate" logo.

These are perhaps the most awesome sweaters I've ever seen the Kings wear (and some of the slickest goalie gear retro-match I've ever seen):
3255.jpg