• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Boulevard Smokestack Series

Mike33

My first beer review, so be easy on me fellas. The IS is a limited release to the smockstack series made by my hometown brewery Boulevard. This bottle is #2245 out of 11000 total released and from the first batch produced. I had a glass of this during Super Bowl Sunday with some friends and was blown away by it.

P2060405.jpg

The beer pours jet black, just as thick as other ISs I have tried. Very good head retention as well as adhesion to the glass. The head has a slight reddish tint to it. The nose is incredible with hints of toffee, chocolate, and caramel.

Very smokey taste to the beer and the malts are also noticable as well. It has an amazing mouthfeel to it, something I have only experienced with Dark Lord. I can't get over how rich this beer is. The ABV is 11%, but is not noticeable at all. Both the smell and taste mask the alcohol very well. The second glass has some spiciness to it that I didn't taste before, but is very pleasent. This beer is extremely complex, so much so I can't really comment on specifics other than chocolate and some floral flavors as well. Slightly bitter with some nice hops coming through which adds to the enjoyability. I was able to drink the bottle myself, but I'm feeling the effects as I am typing right now :laugh:

Overall: 9.5 out of 10 and the only beer I have had that was better was Dark Lord. Take this with a grain of salt as I am a novice to beer, but I absolutely love this stuff. Definitely the best from Boulevard so far :thumbs:

Great review. I am a big Boulevard fan myslef since I am just right down the road in Lawrence.

great review KC Mike!

Wish I was still in St. Joseph so I can make my weekly trips to KC and hit the pubs!

great review KC Mike!

Wish I was still in St. Joseph so I can make my weekly trips to KC and hit the pubs!

Oh man, I didn't even think about the fact that we now have ANOTHER Mike in the beer forum! :angry:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great review Mike! I picked up a few bottles of the Saison-Brett. It sounds like I need to add this one to my list.

Nice review Mike! Boulevard makes some really nice beer. That damn Bsneed bombed me with some last year (regular production stout), and that suff was like crack. Problem is they don't have it anywhere around here.

Might be time to send Brent some money. :laugh:

The limited release Smokestack series have been tremendous. Very original beers. I haven't cracked the IS yet. I was going to this weekend, but it's 70 degrees outside. It didn't seem like Imperial Stout weather. Their Single Wide IPA is supposed to be out in bottles soon as well.

The limited release Smokestack series have been tremendous. Very original beers. I haven't cracked the IS yet. I was going to this weekend, but it's 70 degrees outside. It didn't seem like Imperial Stout weather. Their Single Wide IPA is supposed to be out in bottles soon as well.

I almost hit you up for a few bottles of this Pete, but I figured I'd bother someone else this time. :laugh:

There's IS weather? :laugh:

Actually it was nice drinking it out on my patio smoking a Partagas Lonsdale.

Nice review Mike! Boulevard makes some really nice beer. That damn Bsneed bombed me with some last year (regular production stout), and that suff was like crack. Problem is they don't have it anywhere around here.

The RP stout is pretty good, but my favorite RP beer they make is the Bully! Porter. Great stuff :thumbs:

Ooh, I haven't seen this around here, I'll have to make a few stops and see if I can find some! I have to admit, other than the Saison, I didn't like the other smokestack series brews all that much. I have a bottle of the brett but haven't cracked it. Mike33 is right, though, the Bully! Porter is definitely the cream of the RP crop. I enjoy the pale as well, but I simply cannot grasp the popularity of the wheat at all. It's a typical bland American wheat, but every damn bar around here wastes a tap on it.