• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bourbon and temperature extremes

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I don't heat or cool my cabin when I am not there. So inside can get to 90 degrees or -5 degrees.

I would not leave any good bourbon there, but should I leave any "sipping" bourbon there?

I have left a bottle of Weller Special Reserve and a bottle of Jim Beam Double Oak because they are inexpensive but maybe I should just bring what I want for the weekend and not leave any "sipping" bourbon there?

I don't heat or cool my cabin when I am not there. So inside can get to 90 degrees or -5 degrees.

I would not leave any good bourbon there, but should I leave any "sipping" bourbon there?

I have left a bottle of Weller Special Reserve and a bottle of Jim Beam Double Oak because they are inexpensive but maybe I should just bring what I want for the weekend and not leave any "sipping" bourbon there?
It would be interesting to know if this effects them, because during the maturing process in barrels the rickhouse the can easily reach those extremes. From what I know only direct sunlight can cause problems.

When I did the Jack Daniel's tour a few years ago, there was no means of temperature regulation in the barrel aging buildings. The way temp was "regulated" was by adjusting where in the building the barrels rested. The higher the barrel the higher the temp (that whole heat rises thing).

I wouldn't think it would have any effects being in the bottle vs. being in the barrel, but I have been wrong in the past...

When I did the Jack Daniel's tour a few years ago, there was no means of temperature regulation in the barrel aging buildings. The way temp was "regulated" was by adjusting where in the building the barrels rested. The higher the barrel the higher the temp (that whole heat rises thing).

I wouldn't think it would have any effects being in the bottle vs. being in the barrel, but I have been wrong in the past...
The whole point of those buildings is to allow temperature changes. As the temp changes the whiskey is pulled in and pushed out of the charred barrel creating flavors and coloring. Same idea as the Metallica whiskey. The sound waves are creating the same effect as the temperature changes do but at a much more rapid rate.

Get one of those small casks and will it with something you know well and revisit it as you spend time there. BA4B0CBC-5A3D-4F4B-8F65-3ADDDCD4A445.png

As far as heat goes… I was on my way back from Kentucky. Had a bottle of New Riff Single barrel on the floor in the back row of our Explorer. I heard a little pop sound. Didn’t think much of it. Got home and the cap had popped off. The bottle was warm also so I suspected the heater had warmed it enough to eject the stopper.

As far as heat goes… I was on my way back from Kentucky. Had a bottle of New Riff Single barrel on the floor in the back row of our Explorer. I heard a little pop sound. Didn’t think much of it. Got home and the cap had popped off. The bottle was warm also so I suspected the heater had warmed it enough to eject the stopper.
Alcohol abuse.........

This is the only thing you have to worry about.

Whiskey I've driven in temps down to -10c with zero issues. Made the Beam more palatable.

The man cave sits around 90 in the summer if the air con isnt on and had zero issues besides it being a bit warmer then I would like.

Johnny Walker made a scotch for Game of thrones. It was called White Walker. It was supposed to be kept in the freezer.

I had a Russian friend growing up whose parents kept the vodka in the freezer.