• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bourbon Drinkers

mhn

So I fell in love with Bourbon a couple of years ago and have recently decided to begin stocking a selection of different bourbons to accompany my cigars. The idea is to start by buying somewhere around 1 different bottle every month so that I can start to get an idea of the differences between all of the different varieties out there.

I loved this initial stage when I began smoking cigars...going to the store and buying something new to try. I find it really fun and exciting to find something new that you really enjoy.

I began with what had been my stand-by: Jim Beam Black Certainly not the best, I'm sure, but for the price I think it's quite good.

Second, thanks to the heads up from AVB, I ordered a bottle of the George T. Stagg (2004 bottling) online this past weekend (my order hasn't been processed yet, so hopefully I'll get it :whistling: ).

Then I have the ever growing list of bourbons I want to try, ranging from inexpensive to pretty hard to find. I think to start, I'll pretty much focus on what I can pick up at the liquor store (unless I happen to come across a good deal, like above)...no sense in spending a ton of time looking for really hard to find bottles when there are a bunch of bottles sitting on the shelf at the local liquor store that I haven't even tried yet.

Here's my list so far (but it changes every day):

These (supposedly), our local liquor stores "stock" regularly and would be fairly easy to get.
-Elijah Craig 12YR
-Elijah Craig 18YR
-Wild Turkey 101
-Eagle Rare Single Brl 10Yr
-I. W. Harper Gold 15YR

These our local stores either stock or you have to special order.
Jim Beam Small Batch
-Bookers
-Baker’s
-Basil Hayden’s
-Knob Creek
Wild Turkey Selections
-Kentucky Spirit Single Barrel
-Rare Breed
-Russell’s Reserve
Buffalo Trace Antique Whiskey Collection
-Eagle Rare 17 yr
-George T. Stagg
-Sazarac Rye

Anyone else care to add to the list or talk about how to started stocking a bourbon bar?

Oh there are so many out there. You only have one Rye on your list so I'll ad Michter's 10 yo Rye at about $50. You've also skipped all of the Van Winkle product so add their 13 yo Rye ($30) and 15 yo Bourbon ($40). Grab a bottle of A.H. Hirsch 16 yo too before it dissappears ($50-80) and a Classic Cask 20 yo ($75). The Classic Cask 18 is OK but the 20 is really good. There is also a 22 yo Classic Cask Rye at about $60-75 which was one of the top 50 of the Wine Enthusiast best of 2004. That sould keep you busy for awhile until you're ready for the really esoteric hard to find ones. :whistling:

okay, what if you had to pick the best bourbon for say $30 or $35 or under that would most likely be available at the store?

The Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 yo is $34.99 here in PA. One of the best bourbons you can buy at that price point. I go to this more than anything else except the EC 12

What can you tell me about this one? I've never seen, heard of or found an 18 yo Evan Williams. Price? Location?

mhn said:
These (supposedly), our local liquor stores "stock" regularly and would be fairly easy to get.
-Evan Williams 18TR
[snapback]181904[/snapback]​

That's me making up a new Evan Williams :whistling:

The price list I'm looking at it here:
http://www.abc.state.va.us/Pricelist/STRAI...ON_WHISKEY.html

You can see that directly after Elijah Craig 18 Yr the EW starts, and I got the lines mixed up :blush:

AVB said:
What can you tell me about this one? I've never seen, heard of or found an 18 yo Evan Williams. Price? Location?

mhn said:
-Evan Williams 18TR
[snapback]181904[/snapback]​
[snapback]181913[/snapback]​

I was wondering because I've go the VA price list linked along with a few others and couldn't find it on any EW website. No problem as there is enough to buy without adding another one.

HEY MICHAEL!!!

Look who's back from the dead!!!!

Glad you decided to come back around these parts :thumbs: How's the new baby?

Thank CC!

Thanks for the welcome :D I've actually been back lurking for a little bit now...

The "new" baby just had his 1st birthday party, I knew it would go fast but not THAT fast.
Things are well and finally a bit more calm (read more time to myslef :) )

coventrycat86 said:
HEY MICHAEL!!!

Look who's back from the dead!!!!

Glad you decided to come back around these parts :thumbs: How's the new baby?
[snapback]181955[/snapback]​

Just a couple to add to the list. Definitely, add the Van Winkle 12 and 15 year old to the list. Also, Buffalo Trace. You'll have to order it online if you are in VA, but it is worth it. Finally, Ancient Ancient Age. Very inexpensive, but a great everyday bourbon.

cigardawg said:
<snip> Finally, Ancient Ancient Age. Very inexpensive, but a great everyday bourbon.
[snapback]181958[/snapback]​
$9.50 for a 750 mL bottle in VA? And I saw in your review that it's rated 94...that just blows my mind.

Just another addition to the list is the 15 year old Wild Turkey Tribute. I saw you had the some of the Turkey line, and this in my opinion is the best.

If you want some of this start loking for it now as it was a limited edition and has been sold out for some time. You might find someplace with one left but chances are it won't be at list price.

ejquin said:
Just another addition to the list is the 15 year old Wild Turkey Tribute. I saw you had the some of the Turkey line, and this in my opinion is the best.
[snapback]182845[/snapback]​

You need to try some Coneceh whiskey also, very smooth. Made here in the heart of Dixie. May have to shoot some your way now.

You talkin' about 'shine from Conecuh County County Alabama? Aged a whole week in Mack radiators. :laugh: :laugh: