• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Box code

Lemon

So, today I received my box of Vegas Robaina Famosos, which I purchased from a vendor I have dealed with many times in the past. I trust the vendor. I really don't know much about box codes, but I started wondering about this one. In the bottom of the box it has the code LRL FER 003. Now, when I've looked at lists of known box codes, trying to figure out how they work, I got the impression that the number for the year can be 2-3 (or in some cases even 4) digits. But the FER confuses me. It seems logical to me that it should say FEB. Somehow I doubt it's a typo, which is the first thing that comes to mind. It's not a smudged B either, it's definitely an R.

Hopefully I'm as ignorant as I think I am, and this is just a misunderstanding. I checked old topics about box codes but didn't find anything substantial. Any information you guys can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks.

If you trust your source and the cigars seem right to you, then chalk it up to "That's Cuba!"

BTW, this is the first instance of the "LRL" code. I've scanned the CP codes database and my own records and while "LRP" has come up in 2006, there is no other instance of "LRL" in over 600 records of boxes. I'm not saying that it is suspect because of this, just that yours would be the first seen of that code.

BTW, could I trouble you for the two letter prefix on the warranty seal? I'm guessing it should be in the range of DI-EQ or just slightly beyond.

Wilkey

February = Febrero in Spanish, but the abbreviation would be like the English FEB. Like Wilkey says I don't put it past the Cubans to get creative with abbreviations.

This is actually a curious situation.

I suspect that the rubber stamps they use for factory and date code are adjustable by digit as opposed to produced in three-letter blocks. If this is indeed the case, then an error such as swapping "R" for "B" is pretty benign.

Wilkey

I seem to recall reading about someone else who had a similar date code on their box, with two zeros preceeding the final number. So you're not the only one. Also, take a good look at that "R", because I've had boxes with fuzzy or really light stamps on them (as if they were low on ink) and it's easy to confuse letters that look alike.

If you trust your source and the cigars seem right to you, then chalk it up to "That's Cuba!"

BTW, this is the first instance of the "LRL" code. I've scanned the CP codes database and my own records and while "LRP" has come up in 2006, there is no other instance of "LRL" in over 600 records of boxes. I'm not saying that it is suspect because of this, just that yours would be the first seen of that code.

BTW, could I trouble you for the two letter prefix on the warranty seal? I'm guessing it should be in the range of DI-EQ or just slightly beyond.

Wilkey

The two letters are DC. Might I ask how this helps? If they indeed were fake (I shudder just saying that word!) wouldn't it be fairly easy to fake this little detail? The whole code on the warranty seal reads: DC 159540

This is actually a curious situation.

I suspect that the rubber stamps they use for factory and date code are adjustable by digit as opposed to produced in three-letter blocks. If this is indeed the case, then an error such as swapping "R" for "B" is pretty benign.

Wilkey

This is exactly what I thought. Of course R and B are far away from each other alphabetically. Maybe the stamp-guy rolled it backwards, or maybe he just mistook an R for a B. Who knows? ???

I seem to recall reading about someone else who had a similar date code on their box, with two zeros preceeding the final number. So you're not the only one. Also, take a good look at that "R", because I've had boxes with fuzzy or really light stamps on them (as if they were low on ink) and it's easy to confuse letters that look alike.

I did! And that's exactly why I got curious. The right "leg" of the R clearly goes straight downwards to the right. No doubt about that.

When I was googling for box codes, I did find LRL here. It says "LRL, SLA Pinar Del Rio" under "2000 Factory codes". But if I've understood this correctly, the box codes have gotten pretty messy, to avoid people selecting boxes according to the code. Assuming these are the real deal, I guess I got kind of lucky then. February 2003 must have a little age on them ???

Wilkey

The two letters are DC. Might I ask how this helps? If they indeed were fake (I shudder just saying that word!) wouldn't it be fairly easy to fake this little detail? The whole code on the warranty seal reads: DC 159540
Not all counterfeiters will make sure that the warranty seal prefix is in the right range for the year of issue. A 2001 box with a GK prefix would be strongly suspect as would a 2006 box with an AD prefix.

Wilkey

Wilkey

Not all counterfeiters will make sure that the warranty seal prefix is in the right range for the year of issue. A 2001 box with a GK prefix would be strongly suspect as would a 2006 box with an AD prefix.

Wilkey

Maybe my counterfeiters were very thorough... ??? Well thanks for the help. Cleared up some stuff. You learn as you go :thumbs:

Edit: I noticed that once suspicions of possible counterfeits has been raised, I get paranoid. All of a sudden things might seem worse than they really are. I don't have the experience to tell the difference between a good counterfeit and the real deal. If I had a camera I'm sure I could get some help. The sticks smell great. I guess smoking a couple is a good way to tell.

You could always contact your vendor first hand and ask him about the discrepancies or concerns.