• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

boxes or singles?

you cannot judge the quality of any cigar by sampling only one.

five would be a better statistical sample but to really judge the consistency
of a particular brand you should at least smoke a box/bundle.

Boxes, although I buy fivers and samplers as well.

If a box turns not to be to my tastes I can always trade or sell them. The great thing about variety in choice and taste is that there is always someone who likes what I don't and vice versa.

gixxer,

In the beginning everyone should buy 4 or 5ers....that's the only way to judge a cigar. Along the way, if you happen upon a cigar that really tickles your taste buds, you buy the box. When you first start out and are as young as you, start with inexpensive smokes....don't get caught up in price. You have plenty of time to work up to the good stuff if you hang in there for a while.

To me, that's what it is all about...exploring and discovery. As cigar explorers, we are constantly out there talking to other BOTL about cigars...their likes and dislikes, what compares to what, what brands they are currently smoking, telling them what you like and they suggest trying a cigar they think you may enjoy based on their experiences (FOG), etc....with the idea in mind on what you want to try next. Now add in the Internet where we read reviews about different sticks and trade conversation in print, we really open up our minds to cigars we never thought we would sample or are sold in our local B&M. When you finally discover that gem of a cigar that every time you smoke one you say..."wow, I really like this thing!"....you buy that box....because you have finally found a keeper. But the beauty of this passion is that once you find that 'diamond in the rough'....you start the process all over again, looking for another diamond.

Now, no journey would be complete without finding a few pieces of coal while mining for those diamonds...and that is the stuff of great stories. We love talking about the good ones, but we really laugh our asses off talking about the dog rockets! I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should try as many different cigars as you can afford and box buy what you like.

When you subscribe to this philosophy you will always have an abundance of great sticks to smoke because along the way your taste's change and you lay off of some of those box purchased cigars to move on to others that you currently prefer. But remember, there always comes the day when you go back to sample one of your (now nicely aged) box purchased cigars and say...."why did I ever stop smoking these!"

Thus is the life of a cigar smoker.

PS: did I mention how much fun this is?

Here's the drill for me: Buy singles - love cigar, buy 5-er - love cigar, buy box - smoke box.

This is also my approach but I add to it with: Find cigars that are 'go to' or 'can't miss' and keep boxes around in stash.

Buy whatever you can afford and feel comfortable with! Don't feel (although you're probably joking) that you're less of a cigar lover because you prefer to purchase singles or any amount smaller than full boxes. It's all a matter of personal preference and comfort level. :thumbs:

^QFT^

I'd love to purchase boxes upon boxes of premium smokes, but I'd be broke and divorced in no time! :laugh: So I stick with fivers & singles of the really good stuff, buy the occasional box of mid-range cigars, or spend a little time to save up for that nice premium box of favorite smokes.

Here's the drill for me: Buy singles - love cigar, buy 5-er - love cigar, buy box - smoke box.

This is also my approach but I add to it with: Find cigars that are 'go to' or 'can't miss' and keep boxes around in stash.

This pretty much covers my process except I skip the singles part unless it's a HTF or >$20/per. I have a hard time spending $100 on a 5er. It's arbitrary, but it works for me. I always buy at least 3 of something I want to try, though. I don't buy samplers at all anymore.

Like Gonz said, don't worry about what you can and can't buy. There are a lot of high end smokers here at CP and it's great fun to live viacariously through their experiences. Don't let it make you uncomfortable, though. There are just as many that enjoy everyday type cigars as much or more. A lot of times around here we talk more about the high end and "special" stuff because it's just that.

Smoke what you like, smoke what you can afford, and smoke what you want.

I suppose it's because I'm still a newbie (and probably will be one for a long, long time) but I have not yet found my "favorite" cigar. Consequently, I read the reviews in Cigar Aficionado along with the reviews and comments here and buy singles to try. My recent acquisitions via "newbie trade" with StinkiMonki have yielded a brand that just may turn out to be a favorite for me (Padilla). I like the idea of 5-ers and samplers because they offer more options. All that being said...I yearn to buy boxes because for some reason I see that as demonstrating my serious commitment to this hobby. I'm not saying box purchases are necessary for everyone, just myself. I still want a large variety of smokes in my humidor because I've found that one of the most pleasurable parts of this hobby is to share with my friends and to see their reaction to cigars they may never have tried before...but I want some boxes in my collection as well. Damn..I just want more and more cigars...period!!!

Welcome to CigarPass, you'll fit in just fine here. :laugh: :sign:

To echo what pretty much everyone else has said try before you buy. As an example my first large (at the time) purchase was a box of Helix 550. I tried two and seemed to like them so I bought a box. Well as time went by I found that there were many more sticks that I got in samplers that I enjoyed much more. Although the Helix were okay (now a staple yardgar), I am basically stuck with them. There are good samplers from many online retailers as well as the Newbie Sampler Thread here on CP. I have found that I, as newbie, really don't want to be tied down with an only a few choices as far as brands and sizes go.

If you look at your humi like your spice rack/shelf, sure you always need salt, pepper, and sugar. However sometimes basil, Chinese five spice, Hungarian paprika, cloves, caraway seed are really what you need.

Good luck discovering, and the I Hope you enjoy

Brandon

To echo what pretty much everyone else has said try before you buy. As an example my first large (at the time) purchase was a box of Helix 550. I tried two and seemed to like them so I bought a box. Well as time went by I found that there were many more sticks that I got in samplers that I enjoyed much more. Although the Helix were okay (now a staple yardgar), I am basically stuck with them. There are good samplers from many online retailers as well as the Newbie Sampler Thread here on CP. I have found that I, as newbie, really don't want to be tied down with an only a few choices as far as brands and sizes go.

If you look at your humi like your spice rack/shelf, sure you always need salt, pepper, and sugar. However sometimes basil, Chinese five spice, Hungarian paprika, cloves, caraway seed are really what you need.

Brandon

Recommending ACID cigars borders on newbie abuse. :angry:

;) :laugh:

You have gotten some great advice here from guys that really know what they are talking about.

Now for my humble opinion. Don't get in any rush. I don't know how much experience you have as a cigar smoker, but I know for me I'm still trying to smoke my way around to figuring out what I really, really like. I have debated buying a couple of boxes in the past, and looking back now I think I'm glad I didn't. Give yourself plenty of time to try everything you can. The only box purchase you might want to consider now is if you find something that may not be availabe in 3-6 months (i.e. limited release sticks, hard to finds, etc.) I have a little voice in my ear (NapaSmokes) that keeps telling to slow down and not be in such a rush to buy everything, and he's right. Well.....except for that box of Padron 2K maduros I've been saving up for. :whistling:

Wow, so much helpful advice to go along with my question. What I really was trying to do was try as many different sticks as possible to get a feel for what I like. Now I see that I should probably get on some 3-5ers to really get a feeling for some of those smokes I enjoyed. The only cigar I've smoked three of is the Padron 2000 maduro and I really liked that.

I guess I don't need a box yet after all, too bad though!

I go all three ways: boxes, fivers, and singles. Whatever strikes my fancy.

Brandon

Recommending ACID cigars borders on newbie abuse. :angry:

;) :laugh:

Seriously who doesn't like a Irish Hops, thats the cigar that House of Pain made famous right?

ps. sorry for thread jack

I'm more of a 5ers guy and the VERY occasional box. Whatever works for you bro. I'm on a college budget, so I have my limitations. Space is also a huge factor in whether or not people buy boxes, singles, or 5ers. :thumbs:

Fivers, boxes, singles... its all good. As long as you have a few smokes you enjoy on hand your ahead of the game brother!! Enjoy what you buy and buy what you enjoy!!

Singles, 5ers, boxes, I just buy cigars!

Like an opportunistic feeder, I'm always (mostly), ready to pounce on the unsuspecting cigar deal. If I happen to get a 5er, or even a box that doesn't thrill me at the time... I just shuffle it to the bottom of the cooler, maybe next year my tastes will have aligned better with the now aged rocket.

Only Padron 2000s and annis.... Everything else, Ill buy an empty box and fill it with an alike brand (like pepin, padilla, etc) but different lines.

I've only purchased two boxes, so far. One was a Padron Anni to split into fivers because I wanted to try some, but didn't have the scratch to justify an entire box. I've enjoyed them thoroughly, and shall purchase boxes of them in the future to guard with my lif-- I mean, share generously. :)

I've just recently ordered a box of Boli PC's because I've found them to be consistently tasty in the several I've tried. Like many others, I'm fairly promiscuous in how I get my smokes. I've ordered fivers from BOTL's just to try the smoke, and if I didn't like it, I'd gift it to others. They're not dog rockets, just not to my taste.

Overall, your budget and wisdom will be your limiting factors. If you have a large budget, check out a ton of fivers. If you have a small budget, check out a ton of fivers, but spend more time between fivers.

i have only bought singles, 5ers and samplers, that was so i could find out what type of cigar i liked. I dont have the room to buy boxes right now, but i will when i get a bigger Humi.

Everyones' advice up above has summed it all up but here's my two cents ...

there's too many great cigars out there, so don't back yourself into a wall with just a few you love, experiment a bit by getting 5ers
if your're afraid your "favorite cigar" is gonna run out ... don't, if you can find pre-embargo ISOM's, you can surely find your stick again
participate in the n00b cigar trades/buys so you can expand your horizons of taste and culture

umm, I forget what else I was going to say ... ???

oh yeah, get a bigger humi! :thumbs: