• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

BRISKET! ENDS! ABTs!

ELittle

Snowman Cage Inventor
I'm waking up tomorrow at 6am to throw 2 - 5 pound brisket flats into the smoker. Then I'm gonna make some burnt ends out of parts of both of the briskets. I'm also making some tweaked out ABTs. Instead of the lil smoky sausage in the middle, i'm gonna render down some apple wood smoked bacon, then mix it in with the cream cheese, then stuff the jalapeno with that mix and then wrap the jalapeno in bacon then smoke them for about 3 hours. Nothing but healthy food tomorrow! :D

It should be good! I'll upload some pics later in the day.

Edit to add: Brisket photo, pre-smoke
DSCN1675.jpg

Edit to add: ABTs! (my tweaked recipe)
DSCN1677.jpg

DSCN1679.jpg

DSCN1681.jpg

ABTs:
DSCN1685.jpg

Burnt Ends:
DSCN1686.jpg

Damn that looks good, how long you smoke them briskets for?

I smoked the briskets for about 8 hours, then used part of 1 for burnt ends and put the other one in a foil pouch then wrapped it in blankets and put it into a cooler for a few hours. The brisket came out tough though, I can't figure out why.

I smoked the briskets for about 8 hours, then used part of 1 for burnt ends and put the other one in a foil pouch then wrapped it in blankets and put it into a cooler for a few hours. The brisket came out tough though, I can't figure out why.

Was the temp too high inside the smoker?

It could have been, it was a steady 220 degrees, i guess i could bring it down to 200 next time and see what happens.

I saw ABT and was thinking some Belgian beer was involved!

I usually smoke my brisket overnight for well over 12 hours and they end up nice and tender. Might just not have been long enough?

Nice.

I have some folks coming over on Wednesday...I may have to get some! hmmm.

So, some would argue that what I'm about to say is in contradiction to the spirit of cooking brisket. But... it is a key to the proper tenderness.

Smoking time is more for flavor than it is for tenderness. The key to tenderness is to ensure that it is cooked to 185-205 degrees to ensure that the collagen is converted to gelatin which provides the tenderness. Brisket is a hard working muscle and needs to hit this temperature to ensure the conversion is complete.

I suggest a good digital meat thermometor possible a wireless one that can withstand substantial heat so you won't have to interupt the smoking process to check on the temp. LOWERING THE TEMP MAY MAKE IT WORSE. The slow and low rule is designed to not burn the meat while still providing an adequate smoke flavor profile. Hope this is helpful.

Stupid question that I can't find the answer to: What does ABT stand for? Also, I'm stealing your recipe and you can't stop me.

Stupid question that I can't find the answer to: What does ABT stand for? Also, I'm stealing your recipe and you can't stop me.
atomic buffalo turds---they have morphed over the years from a recipe called "bigwheels buffalo turds"---labor intensive to vend but darn good eats
buzz