• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bruichladdich Single Malt Scotch

lucasbuck said:
Anybody here tried Lagavulin 16?  Very tasty and can be had for about $50.  I've kind of gotten stuck on this stuff but I'm gonna have to try some of the bottles raved about here.  That MacCallan 18 sounds awfully good.  I hope I can find some.
I have tryed a few different Lagavulin, booth vintage (year unknown over 18), the 10 year old, the 18.

But my favourite Islay is Bowmore Dusk.

Review
This one is so good and different... And i had a Davidoff "Special <R> to this one... It was like a married couple. They compensate each other perfectly. Both are very smooth.

I recommend this one.

I'll have to try the Bowmore as I think it's available here. Thanks for the tip Azon. So how did you like the Lagavulin's you tried?

lucasbuck said:
I'll have to try the Bowmore as I think it's available here.
Yepp... Do that :D Its great. The Lagavulin is great also. As almost every Islay whisky´s are "smokey". But i like this harshiness. It´s ALOT to discover in the Islay labels. But as its almost a law in th whiskywold, the older a bottle is the more smoother it is and more flavours to explore. So of course, naturally the old Lagavulin in smoother and finer then the young one. But as i said before, it´s a matter of taste and money ;) . I really like the Lagavulin. But you also have to try Talisker and Laphroaig. These are also a smoky whisky. I have to recommend another while im at it :D. It´s a Speyside whisky, the Aberlour a'bunadh", this one are also a fine drink along a nice "stick". It´s a rather smooth singel cask (60 %) whiskey and with a little splash of water it´s an experience i wish all could have :D

bowmdusk.jpg
abunadh.jpg
lagavul2.jpg

Abunadh Lagavulin

Thanks for the suggestions Azon. I love a good single malt but have been lazy to try a lot of brands. Plus here in Utah you can only buy liquor from the Utah State Liquor Stores. It's all state controlled so the selection is severely limited. Next time I travel I'll have to pick up a couple of old bottles to bring back :)

Don't know how the weather is in Utah, Craig but it's fall here in Colorado. And when fall comes, my thoughts turn to single malt. I'm out so I gotta stock up for the winter sitting-by-the-fire-smoking-a-cigar-and-sipping-single-malt season.

It is turning to Fall here too Greg :) The weather has been beautiful.
sitting-by-the-fire-smoking-a-cigar-and-sipping-single-malt season
Hey, that's my favorite season :D

Hello Gentlemen,

I just found your website today and look forward to exploring all of the nooks and crannies you have here. Being a scotch person for about 30 years, this post caught my eye. One of the best "primers" on the different areas, regions and whiskies availble is found at the Scotch Doc website. http://www.scotchdoc.com/tsd/distinction/personal/basic.html If you try the scotches on that list you'll have a pretty good idea where the scotch you like comes from.

I'm working on my own personal Bar of Distinction that is a bit different fron the Doc's but close. I'm at 37 of what I believe will end up being 57 examples of Single Malt and 4-5 high-end blends.

There are many good scotches to choose from, the peat flavor of the Islay malts (Lagavulin, Laphroiag etc). Heavy sherry of MaCallan, mixed casks of Balvenie or Glenfiddich and even "black" scotch from charred bourbon barrels. Like cigars you have to try many brands to find the ones you like.

I just opened a bottle of 30 yo Glenfiddich last night that was as good as any I've ever had. Not too expensive for a 30 yo ($140 here in PA.) but very much worth it.
Compared to the 30 yo MaCallan that is $330 here you can say it is almost a bargain!

A question to Hard-case: Could you please tell me where you are getting MaCallan 25 for $180 something, it's $250 here! Even with shipping it will be a good deal.

Thanks for reading and I hope to meet you again around the board.

Welcome AVB. Post a little about yourself in the lobby. I hope you enjoy it here. :D

ParaGod,

To answer your first post, the best internet place to buy scotch that I've found is: http://www.wineandliquordepot.com/distillery.php They have a good selection and very good prices on most items. It doesn't hurt to shop around as I've found a few things cheaper locally.