• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Budget tablets for 2014 recommendations

Satchmo

Why do they call it a Power Ranger???
I'm looking for 10" tablet that would mainly be used for kids games, some movies, and some net surfing.  I am looking to spend under $300.  I was also considering some 7" tablets, but would like to spend under $200 on that size.  I've come up with the ASUS 10.1" VivoTab RT 32GB (TF700T) for around $300.  If I went with a 7" tablet, I was liking the Asus MeMO Pad HD 7 (ME173X-A1-WH).

I KNOW there are more than a few techies here on CP that probably have analyzed and completed a 100 page thesis on the topic, so I look forward to what the throbbing brain of Cigar Pass can come up with.  I just want to chill and play Flappy Bird.

We got 2 Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, for our boys.  Sprint had a deal, where the tablets were $49, but you had to commit to a data plan.  The cheapest plan is $5/month, but the boys use WiFi, so I think it's a pretty good deal.

I'm happy with the tablets.  I've watched movies and played games on the Tab 3, with no complaints.  

bfreebern said:
We got 2 Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, for our boys.  Sprint had a deal, where the tablets were $49, but you had to commit to a data plan.  The cheapest plan is $5/month, but the boys use WiFi, so I think it's a pretty good deal.

I'm happy with the tablets.  I've watched movies and played games on the Tab 3, with no complaints.  

Nice.  I never thought getting a contract tablet with data plan would be competitive.  So, with a 2-year agreement you spent $340 for two tablets....  I could handle that.

Satchmo said:

Nice.  I never thought getting a contract tablet with data plan would be competitive.  So, with a 2-year agreement you spent $340 for two tablets....  I could handle that.

Yep, $98 up front, then a monthly fee.  Check it out online and you can set it up, then pick them up from a Sprint store.  Taxes are always where they get you, so that fee goes up over the 2 years.

I'm a pure google OS fan myself, especially since they also come unlocked. For the $200 7" option I'd definitely recommend the 2nd Gen - Nexus 7 2013.
http://reviews.cnet.com/google-nexus-7/

The 10" is the problem, Gen 1 Nexus 10 is sold out and awaiting it's successor, but it was $399 to begin with. Maybe you can find one cheaper used or when the newer one releases very soon.

We have a Kindle Fire and like it quite a bit.  We have the small one, works great and we have no complaints.  Nice to read on, best way to read a book, IMHO.  You can get the 8.9" for $299....something to think about.

I am getting ready to upgrade again. I am going to be selling my Motorola Xyboard 8" for $100.00

I've got the Asus MemoPad and I'm very satisfied with it.

I have the Galaxy Tab2 10".  It's a good tablet, my kids have watched movies on it and use it sometimes to play games.

I saw these on a news letter recently, both at about a bill and a half. I have no personal experience with either.

7"

10"

Honestly I'm a big Google OS fan as well but usually the best bang for buck and functionality are Kindle's & Nooks. I got my fiancé a 10" Kindle Fire HD for 280$ then Rooted it and put Android on it. It offers anything a $500+ android tablet would plus It's As fast. I know it sounds overly complicated but there are some really nice step by step tutorials and automated tools for it. Literally took me 20min. Just something to look into.

bfreebern said:

funny you went Sprint, knowing who you work for brother… lol

Go hold a 10 versus 7 and see which you like better, if you haven't already. 7 just seems like a better size, overall. In my opinion.

I have a Kindle Fire and I'd highly recommend that. Amazon app store has all you need. I haven't found it limiting in any way by being tied to Amazon.

Having the nexus phone, I have to imagine the nexus 7 is pretty damn nice, too.

I have the Nexus 7 and I like it enough. I hate that it does not have an SD card slot which, imo, is Google's (and so many others) attempt to eventually force users to a paid cloud service. 

Last year I considered getting my son an inexpensive tablet. At the time, I found out that Wal-Mart has one manufactured and sells it under a name which I cannot remember. On paper it looked pretty decent, and If I remember correctly, it had an SD slot which to me is a better way to go, especially for a kid. Being able to transport extra Movies, games, etc is a huge plus, imo.

Lkyman said:

funny you went Sprint, knowing who you work for brother lol
I also get a 19% discount on our 3 cell phones with AT&T. Luckily my cell phone is paid by Verizon, or I'd be with AT&T as well.