• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Building a cigar cabinet

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I am contemplating building a cigar cabinet and have questions that will help me to determine size and construction.

To create the best possible aging/storage environment:

1. Should I make the cabinet air-tight or allow some air exchange?
A lot of beads assisted by a Cigar Oasis could handle minor air exchange without allowing
fluctuations in RH, right?

2. Should I build it large enough to spread out the cigars, and open the boxes, or is stacking closed boxes
good enough?
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of aging/storing completed cigars, i.e. once the wrapper is
applied?

In the natural environment of cigar manufacturing where the climate is 70% and consistent temperatures, the aging rooms probably have a great deal more air exchange than our coolers and the cigars are aged naked, right? Is fresh air (ozone, oxygen, etc.) important to the proper aging process?

I look forward to reading all the input I can get……….thanks :thumbs:

I don't think the first question really matters? If you open the cabinet door, you're getting air exchange. I personally just use beads in my cabinet and don't see much fluxuation except in the bottom.... But thats a different issue with mine. (The AC outlet is improperly sealed down there)

I would build it large enough to accomidate any and all of your buying impulses. ;) Mine is full of closed boxes since i can't keep up with space. But i think the naked cigars are stacked ontop of each other in a honeycomb kindof look in aging rooms. So stacking shouldn't matter.

1. You do NOT want an air-tight seal. A small amount of air exchange is beneficial to minimize stagnant, moist air from causing mold in your humi. Depending on the size of the cabinet, I would consider an Accumonitor system by Avallo over the Cigar Oasis.

2. Stacking closed boxes is fine.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of aging/storing completed cigars, i.e. once the wrapper is
applied?

I'm a little confused on this one. Do you mean in the cigar factories? Please explain further.

the aging rooms probably have a great deal more air exchange than our coolers and the cigars are aged naked, right?

That is correct. A common sentiment is that cigars that are sitting free will age slightly faster than those that are in cello/closed boxes. Perhaps one reason for aging "naked" is that the cigars will be ready for distribution faster.

Cup

applied?

I'm a little confused on this one. Do you mean in the cigar factories? Please explain further.

Yeah I guess I was a bit redundant and vague on that :blush: I think the question of aging completed cigars is answered by your statement That is correct. A common sentiment is that cigars that are sitting free will age slightly faster than those that are in cello/closed boxes. Perhaps one reason for aging "naked" is that the cigars will be ready for distribution faster.

I think I will build the cabinet as big as logic allows and spread out the cigars as much as possible to assist in the aging process.

I think I will also allow for some natural air exchange and simply put enough beads in the cabinet to allow for constant/rapid recovery and use a CO XL to assist and to move some air around with the fan.

Thanks

1. You do NOT want an air-tight seal. A small amount of air exchange is beneficial to minimize stagnant, moist air from causing mold in your humi. Depending on the size of the cabinet, I would consider an Accumonitor system by Avallo over the Cigar Oasis.
....if this is the case, perhaps you have an explanation why every high end humidor maker I know of, including Bob Staebell's line of "Aristocrat" humidors (yes, I own one) spends a great deal of time ensuring an absolutely air tight seal on the cabinet?

If you do not create an air tight seal, your humidifier will struggle to maintain RH and will be virtually impossible to season. You'll get plenty of "fresh air" every time you open the door.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

....if this is the case, perhaps you have an explanation why every high end humidor maker I know of, including Bob Staebell's line of "Aristocrat" humidors (yes, I own one) spends a great deal of time ensuring an absolutely air tight seal on the cabinet?

If you do not create an air tight seal, your humidifier will struggle to maintain RH and will be virtually impossible to season. You'll get plenty of "fresh air" every time you open the door.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

Maybe I will wait a bit longer before I decide exactly what to do. :whistling:

My coolidors are air tight. :whistling:

I'm pretty sure my cabinet humidor is as well.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

Don't really have an explanation other than that I think that you are mislead. An absolutely air tight seal is a bad thing and is not something that any humidor maker strives for. They strive to achieve a tight seal that is slightly porous and allows a minimal amount of air exchange.

If the seal is loose, the humidifier will struggle, but with a tight seal(but not absolutely air tight), an ideal balance is achieved.

Cup

My coolidors are air tight. :whistling:

I'm pretty sure my cabinet humidor is as well.

I'm not sure which cooler you have, but I'm pretty sure neither is air tight. Assuming both are quality, both have a tight seal, but are not air tight.

Cup

We go to some lengths to assure as perfect a match between door & foam as possible which gives a very tight seal, but one that is not "airtight". Some air exchange is desired. That prevents a build up of ammonia or any unpleasant aromas, & also keeps the fans turning on periodically to keep things circulated.

One of the first test cabinets I built for temp control had a custom magnetic refridgerator type seal on it & I found it very difficult to keep the RH balanced throughout the humidor. The fans rarely ran & the humidor seemed "stale" when it was left closed for a week or so. Changing the seal to what is used today, solved those issues. If the RH system is properly sized for water capacity & air flow, one should go 1-3 months between fills depending on time of the year & ambient conditions.

Cheers,
Bob Staebell

We go to some lengths to assure as perfect a match between door & foam as possible which gives a very tight seal, but one that is not "airtight". Some air exchange is desired. That prevents a build up of ammonia or any unpleasant aromas, & also keeps the fans turning on periodically to keep things circulated.

One of the first test cabinets I built for temp control had a custom magnetic refridgerator type seal on it & I found it very difficult to keep the RH balanced throughout the humidor. The fans rarely ran & the humidor seemed "stale" when it was left closed for a week or so. Changing the seal to what is used today, solved those issues. If the RH system is properly sized for water capacity & air flow, one should go 1-3 months between fills depending on time of the year & ambient conditions.

Cheers,
Bob Staebell

Yep, just what I was about to say :laugh:

Thanks for stopping by Bob, always a pleasure to read your posts.

Cheers,
Bob Staebell
From the man himself.....I stand corrected.

Thanks, Bob - B.B.S.