• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Building my first wine cellar, any advice?

Humidor Minister

Of course I'm not known for doing things small. My first wine cellar build is for approximately 3000 bottles. On top of that, I decided to challenge myself by dovetailing every single bottle rest into its vertical column. That adds up to about 6000 + dovetail joints. So far they are coming out very accurate & tight. What I would like to know is, how wide & how much space from one bottle to the one above or below should there be for the various bottle sizes. I'd like to stay at 2 or 3 different sizes due to the jigs I have to make to do the dove tail joinery. I'd also like advice on the cooling system for about 2000 cuf of space in the room. Here's a picture of the joinery I'm attempting.
403627710.jpg

Not sure about exact measurement, but probably about 4" square. Are there any local wine stores near you that you can go to and measure one of their wood display cases?

No offense, but other than the dovetail joints, the set up does not look very sturdy for all of the weight it will be holding. What is the thickness of the main vertical support between the two dovetail joints? It looks really thin in the picture (less than 1/8 inch?) and appears to be a potential weak link.

Sorry I haven't been around. Good observation but actually the DT joint restores the strength, they are very tight. I can sit on top of the rack with no problem. Between this wine cellar, an entertainment center, that big truck i posted, another big truck and running my shop, I haven't had much internet time.
Here's a shot of the entertainment center, the prop in the center will come out once I attach the backs to it. Also a shot of some of the wine racks. These pieces don't go in the order you see them but it gives you an idea of the look. Above these will be display racks.
404908508.jpg

404908500.jpg

Thanks guys, it's taking the woodwork & the car audio to beat this economy into submission. At one point I had 5 employees, now just me & my assistant. I'm working my arse off to get through the tough times. In the end, I refuse to participate in this recession. :cool:

I have to add, I did get to enjoy a Partagas culebra cc with my BIL and another friend the other night. A deserved treat after all the hard work. A fine, earthy, well rounded little cigar. I'd smoke that gem any time, reminded me of an Opus #5 a little.

Totally awesome Mike. Looks like you will need a 18 wheeler to move it.

It comes apart tomorrow & goes to its new home. Tuesday it'll get a crown molding. I could have made it myself but part of being good at what you do is knowing when someone else is the right person for the job. =-)