• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Burn issues

Treamayne

On the run...
Ok, since Shadow hooked me up I ahve been trying out my estate pipe here and there. Not very regularly but each month or so. Maybe this is a practice thing, but I can't seem to get any regularity out of the burn. It either burns really hot or goes out all the time. If I puff enough to keep it lit, it's too hot. If I slow down (at all) it goes out. Is this normal? It this because it's a Dr. Grabow from the 50s or something? What am I doing wrong? The pack?

Any Input appreciated.

-K-

It's not uncommon for pipes to go out frequently. There's variation in the pack, in the moisture, even in the components of the blend you smoke (strands, cubes, shreds).
Someone asked this same question on ASP, and even long-time pipers reassured him that 6-10 relights is not uncommon. If it's so hot that it burns your tongue, you're smoking too fast, or the pack is too dense. The draw after packing should be only slightly 'firmer' than with the pipe empty. If it's 'tight' you'll have to puff with more vigor, thus making it burn hotter.

Keep practicing, and buy lots of matches! :D

Been smoking pipes for 16 years now and yes it will go out and yes it can get hot. Packing the pipe, different blends of tobacco, keeping it tampered are some of the things to watch out for. Nothing against the Grabo pipe but maybe getting another pipe might help. Some pipes just take more of a effort to smoke. Keeping the stem clean and bowl cleared of excess caking helps also. I do find a thicker bowl is much better to smoke than a thin bowl also. Good rule of thumb is if you can not hold the bowl in your becouse of the heat then your either smoking to fast or the bowl is to thin.