• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Butane, oh lovely butane!

GrouchoM

The secret phrase is cigars! ! !
I don't have one of those fancy torches so many of you have. Just a Ronson Jetlite, but scored this in my local grocery store today. A small thing, but for a nube...scratching the itch.

I normally have the guys at my former B&M give me courtesy refills on butane, but will checking out of line in my local grocer and I noticed this little gem and priced just right ($2.25 tax included) . Only bottle left (1.48 oz), but a good simple addition to my growing stockpile of cigar accessories. Will hold in reserve on those time I don't want to make the 17 minute drive.

Hey, I'm a newb. Small steps, small victories...also I'm cheap.

Attachments

• 20160306_223948.jpg
    20160306_223948.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Definitely handy to have a couple of those lying around. I keep several spares in a secure location so when I can't find where I put the last one, I just grab a new oneo_O

If you ever pick up a colibri, xikar , or other similar lighter, highly recommend not going cheap on the fuel and buying triple or quadruple refined stuff. It'll ensure proble. free enjoyment as the less expensive stuff can clog your lighter.

Zippo butane doesn't have the best reputation. I personally don't have any experience with the brand, but cheap in this case may not be good if it causes you to have to replace the lighter sooner then you planned.

If you ever pick up a colibri, xikar , or other similar lighter, highly recommend not going cheap on the fuel and buying triple or quadruple refined stuff. It'll ensure proble. free enjoyment as the less expensive stuff can clog your lighter.
This would be true if not for the Jet Lite...they will last with most fuels.

Nice score.
Check around - there are a few spots you wouldn't think about getting butane...but they have it cheap ;)

I don't have one of those fancy torches so many of you have. Just a Ronson Jetlite, but scored this in my local grocery store today. A small thing, but for a nube...scratching the itch.

I normally have the guys at my former B&M give me courtesy refills on butane, but will checking out of line in my local grocer and I noticed this little gem and priced just right ($2.25 tax included) . Only bottle left (1.48 oz), but a good simple addition to my growing stockpile of cigar accessories. Will hold in reserve on those time I don't want to make the 17 minute drive.

Hey, I'm a newb. Small steps, small victories...also I'm cheap.

I bought this back in 2013 and I'm on my second bottle, I still have a brand new one left. Think about all the gas money you're spending on that 34 minute drive to your B&M and back home to get a free refill. Well worth it and will last you years.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IR1PGU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

This would be true if not for the Jet Lite...they will last with most fuels.

Nice score.
Check around - there are a few spots you wouldn't think about getting butane...but they have it cheap ;)

Home depot has butane with the soldering irons.
It will clog a Xikar. I learned the hard way.

Home depot has butane with the soldering irons.
It will clog a Xikar. I learned the hard way.

Yup...it's a little thicker than lighter butane!

But the stuff from the OP...it can be found in camp stores as well...and often less than cigar or general store pricing. (not always...but sometimes)

Personally I always use the Vector, have some cheap lighters that are ten+ years old and still functioning properly. Bought a 6 pack of the 320ml cans 5 years ago and still have 3 partials left.

Note - with the the Vaping and Ecigs ramping up...single can butane pricing has shot up.

So...it pays to shop around.

***UPDATE***

48 Hrs later:

While out trolling for cuvry redheads, but what did I spy with my little eye, but a cache of Zippo premium butane refill canisters selling for $1.39. Hotcha Mamma, it's true what that say "that you create your own luck!" These canisters were prices .80 less than the single can I bought a few days back ($2.19). I purchased one can and will be taking my previous purchase back. What can I say, I'm a value shopper. Hell, I remember returning a blonde for a brunette when she order a more expensive appetizer once, best decision I ever made.

P.S. The wording on the can read "Really? Your cheap SOB!" I paused and looked around for Alan Funt or Ashton Kutcher. Nothing. So, I threw it in the basket

Attachments

• 20160309_234319.jpg
    20160309_234319.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
***UPDATE***

48 Hrs later:

While out trolling for cuvry redheads, but what did I spy with my little eye, but a cache of Zippo premium butane refill canisters selling for $1.39. Hotcha Mamma, it's true what that say "that you create your own luck!" These canisters were prices .80 less than the single can I bought a few days back ($2.19). I purchased one can and will be taking my previous purchase back. What can I say, I'm a value shopper. Hell, I remember returning a blonde for a brunette when she order a more expensive appetizer once, best decision I ever made.

P.S. The wording on the can read "Really? Your cheap SOB!" I paused and looked around for Alan Funt or Ashton Kutcher. Nothing. So, I threw it in the basket

Make sure you refill all of your lighters before you return the bottle.. You cheap bastid :D

A great tip for butane is 'DO NOT SHAKE THE CAN' before filling your lighter. The propellant gets mixed inside your lighter and creates problems. I learned this by calling xikar. Even though the can says to shake, do not do it. Since I have stopped shaking the can my lighters work great even though my can of butane is several years old it still works great.

Just saying. Cheers!

A great tip for butane is 'DO NOT SHAKE THE CAN' before filling your lighter. The propellant gets mixed inside your lighter and creates problems. I learned this by calling xikar. Even though the can says to shake, do not do it. Since I have stopped shaking the can my lighters work great even though my can of butane is several years old it still works great.

Just saying. Cheers!

Ok, curiosity got the best of me.
I dug up some pressure temperature charts.
Found MSDS sheets and compared them.

Zippo Butane is approx 25% propane and 75% butane.

Xikar is 22% N.Butane and 78% Isobutane.

N.Butane is "Normal Butane"
Isobutane is an isomer of Butane and the molecular structure is different than N.Butane.

That being said, I'm not a chemist and don't understand the ins and outs of the structural differences in the molecules.

Its all C4H10 to me.

Groucho, there is a time for cheap and a time not. Unless you enjoy buying cheapie lighters there is a world of difference in butane. Xikar, Vector and Chamoy ( UK ) have the best refined stuff. Vector currently claims 14X filtration, Chamoy states PURE Butane.

Myself, I don't want the hustle so a non working lighter, nor would I enjoy a lesser quality smoke to save a buck ( like smoke an Acid ), but, smoke and lite what you like. You are young, time is its own education.

Ok, curiosity got the best of me.
I dug up some pressure temperature charts.
Found MSDS sheets and compared them.

Zippo Butane is approx 25% propane and 75% butane.

Xikar is 22% N.Butane and 78% Isobutane.

N.Butane is "Normal Butane"
Isobutane is an isomer of Butane and the molecular structure is different than N.Butane.

That being said, I'm not a chemist and don't understand the ins and outs of the structural differences in the molecules.

Its all C4H10 to me.
https://rbnenergy.com/stand-by-your-mane-peculiar-uses-of-isobutane

I had a 4 jet vector, which cost $10, but lost it a week later, before learning about jetlites. 20160123_215555.jpg