• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Butane refill for ST DuPont Defi Extreme

Smokin' Gun

Hey guys, I have an ST. DuPont Defi Extreme touch and I have heard it ok to run Xikar or Vector butane through it instead of DuPont butane? Is this true?

Why take a risk with an expensive lighter like that? If something happens to it they may refuse the warranty for not using Dupont butane. Not worth it IMO.

Dupont does say they blend their butane specially for their lighters.  A while back they gave me some spiel about some special process that makes it "the best" butane for your Dupont lighter.  Really, you should be able to use any triple or quadruple refined butane in your Dupont.  Light this! does have a point though; not sure if Dupont could find out if you were using different butane, but there is a chance they would void the warranty if they did find out.  I still think you should be fine using something different in a pinch.

Eric   

Light this! said:
Why take a risk with an expensive lighter like that? If something happens to it they may refuse the warranty for not using Dupont butane. Not worth it IMO.

That's what I was going to post.  You may run into warranty hassles with DuPont down the road if you don't use their butane.

...which is one of the reasons I use $3 refillable torch lighters I ordered from China, and cheap 3X filtered butane bought on the internet.  Works every time, and losing one isn't the end of the world.... :cool:

Doesn't matter what quality butane you use in your expensive lighter. It WILL fail eventually. I got a drawer full to prove it. As far as I'm concerned, expensive lighters are the biggest rip-off in the cigar world. They're good for impressing your friends, and that's about it. Wooden matches work almost every time, and don't cost much.

Doc

I've had the same $10 lighter since I started seriously smoking cigars.  That was about.....6 or 7 years ago.  Still works and I use it every time.

I've had a handful of other expensive ones that no longer work.

I've also donated 5 or 6  $5 lighters to the local golf course...

This is why I only will ever buy cheap lighters for the rest of my cigar days.  Aside from that, what Tom said.  Can't beat amazon for big ol' cans of cheap good butane.

I have a torch I found that you can order from "Deals Extreme" that I and IronPeddler are currently testing. I think it's a fantastic deal...it's less than three bucks shipped. I'll let you guys know more after I see if it blows up or breaks in the next few weeks, but early impressions are that this is quite a good lighter for a stupid cheap price.

For butane, I've used King butane for years. I bought a 12 pack case some time back, it's worked great in my Blazers and every other lighter I've used it in:

http://kingbutane.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TL1010KG12

I 'get it' that some guys like expensive lighters....good for you guys. I've got no axe to grind with that. Just seems to be one of those cases where spending more, often lots more, doesn't always get you more in terms of performance or reliability. One mans opinion....B.B.S.