• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buyer Beware

TonyG

Hi guys:

Would this be the proper forum to post a caution about a web cigar retailer? Would it be bad form? Don't want to do anything improper here.

I'd say post the details of the transaction with out mentioning the retailer by name first. Then you can get a consensus of the situation and the community will help you out with weather or not to disclose the name :laugh:

Billy

I second billytpage's thoughts, seems like the best way to go.

Tony - this community takes care of itself, probably more vigorously than most. You bet, if there's a bad apple out there we want to know about them. The other part of this is the "taking care" part. No dis, but a guy with seven posts "could be" a competitor wanting to smear a retailer, or someone with a grudge looking to get one over on the retailer. Please understand - I'm not saying you are in that category, but how do we know? I'll give you props; asking first was a good move..... :thumbs:

billytpage's advice is solid; post the details and if consensus is that the name of the retailer should be mentioned, you'll have that option.

Regards - B.B.S.

I noticed you are from Canada, so some caution might want to be exercised as to what retailer and the reason. This is somewhat of a gray area regarding "sources".

If it's a legitimate source and you have an issue with customer service I'm not sure we should openly discuss the source out here on the public forum, although some might disagree. If it's a source that has sold you definitive counterfeit cuban cigars then they should certainly be outed, but note I said "definitive" and it should be certain that they are indeed fakes.

If it's a retailer for anything beyond Cuban cigars then let's have at it, get it out in the open and see what the problem is. I don't think I've ever read a thread here where someone asked if they should call out someone else and in the end everything wasn't out in the open anyways.

Lets us know, good or bad about experience with retailers. We can all learn from each other. I would say just be respectfull about it and most importantly try to work out the problem with the retailer before killing them. If they make right everything is honky dory.

Thankyou fella's: I appreciate the advice.

At this point I would most definitely not want to mention the name of the site, only because I will be making one more try to contact the seller. If there is no success at that point, then I would say I made the effort necessary to try and sort things out.

Here is my situation, have a read and tell me what you think.

I managed to find an online cigar retailer through a recommendation from another larger online retailer. The recommendation was in response to my enquiring if they (the larger site) would ship their products to Canada. With the recommendation in hand, I placed an order with the retailers web site.

My first two purchases went quit smoothly. The cigars arrived properly packaged, undamaged and fresh.

My last order was placed in mid February. I still have the order confirmation. The order was paid through my credit card and my most recent statement reflects that as well.

Approximately three weeks after placing my order, I received part of what I ordered. I emailed the site to inform them of this and did not receive a response. I waited until after Easter, thinking that perhaps the gentleman with whom I have dealt with may have been away. After Easter, I sent a second email and did not receive a response.

I sent a third email this week requesting a response and have yet to hear.

The amount of money I have paid for the total order is not that much considering the amount one could easily spend. But that is not the issue. The issue is that at the very least, a simple reply from this gentleman would be appreciated.

I recognize and accept the risks of dealing with online stores.

My next step is to call the gentleman I have been dealing with to date.

BlindedByScience makes a good point about being cautious to ensure I am not some othe merchant with an axe to grind. I assure you I am not. I am a Psychiatric Crisis Worker who works with adolescents who are at immediate risk to themselves or others and are placed into a secure treatment program (in my case a ten bed psychiatric unit). I will have to double check but I think my personal web site is linked to my account here. If not, www.tmgentile.com is it and my personal contact info is listed there as well.

Either way, until and unless this is resolved, can anyone out there recommend a vendor who ships to Canada? I promise to update everyone on the outcome and will take advice from you all as to whether or not to post a caution.

Thanks agian,

If I were you, I would've been on the phone right away, rather than just e-mailing. If there is no answer to the phone after a couple of tries, or they deny that happening, then I would contact my credit card company, and see what they can do about it. Even though it's been paid, you would be surprised what they can, and will do.

Yep, and up until this point, any time I emailed them, I got a prompt reply. I was quite happy with the service.

.....I am a Psychiatric Crisis Worker who works with adolescents who are at immediate risk to themselves or others and are placed into a secure treatment program (in my case a ten bed psychiatric unit).
Stick around, my friend....I think you could be of substantial value here from time to time..... :laugh:

Right approach - make every possible effort to resolve this with the seller. If they don't do the right things, it's time to consider going public.

Good luck - B.B.S.

The retailer in question has had more than enough time to fix the problem. If you cannot get in touch with this vendor on the phone by the close of business on Monday, then you need to out this vendor so none of the rest of CP gets burned by this guy.

I would also contact your credit card company and dispute the charges.

Another way to look at this is by just going ahead and naming the retailer right away, explaining the problem you've had, and perhaps others here have had nothing but stellar service from them, and they can offer advice on how better to contact that vendor, or maybe someone knows something going on in that retailer's personal life that has caused them to slip up this one time.

So here is the update:

Yesterday I made several different calls to the number listed on the vendors web site. In each instance the call went straight to the voicemail message. The same happened just minutes ago when I tried again.

I am afraid that there will be no resolving the issue.

I certainly do not want anyone here at cigarpass, or elsewhere for that matter, to find themselve in the same situation that I am in. Especially given that the purchaser provides method of payment information up front on a good faith basis.

So, in consideration of that, I am outing the vendor.

I am advising strong caution if anyone is considering doing business with The Cigar Cellar ( http://thecigarcellar.com/ ) They are located in Toms River New Jersey.

I will contact my credit card company and see what if anything can be done.

Kudos for going about this the right way. From what you have said, you did everything in your power to try and resolve this prior to outing the vendor.

My ex-wife was from that town. Must be something in the water down there.

Kudos for going about this the right way. From what you have said, you did everything in your power to try and resolve this prior to outing the vendor.
X2. The proper "heads up" is very much appreciated..... :thumbs:

Regards - B.B.S.

Good job Tony. Definitely dispute the charge with your CC company. I have a friend who lives in Toms River and he told me years ago that this guy was a scumbag. He never goes into his store anymore and he lives right around the corner from him.