• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buying a box for son's 18th birthday

hojadepuro

eschew obfuscation
Hey guys, I had my first child this week, and want to get a box of cigars to hold until his 18th birthday. Now, these things are going to be stored for 18 years, so I am lost at what to get. I thought about a 10 count box of 2010 EL's. If anyone has a suggestion or some insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :thumbs:

Brandon

Oh I see you want to totaly ruin your son for all other cigars for the rest of his life at 18. I would suggest that you talk to a FOG about an 18th birthday sampler. mabey 5 sets of two? then it will give your kid a chance to experiance a range of tastes. then put away something realy special for his 30th birthday when he can really appreciate it. Just my thoughts as a father of 2

Oh and CONGRATS!!!!!

The obvious answer is a box of My Fathers, but if you’re looking for something with that kind of aging potential, then I think you’re best off going for something Cuban. EL’s would be a nice “high end” gift to share with him down the road.

I would most likely go with the new Cuban Partagas ELs for 2010, as this is his birth year. They come in boxes of 10. Probably run you somewhere around the mid-$200s for a box of these. Good luck, and congrat son the birth of your son.

And don't forget to stick to bigger ring gauges if possible. I'd go with some CC EL's too.

The obvious answer is a box of My Fathers, but if you’re looking for something with that kind of aging potential, then I think you’re best off going for something Cuban. EL’s would be a nice “high end” gift to share with him down the road.

That would be a good idea. Try to see if you can get some of the ORs. From the first of box of My Father cigars I bought to the most recent, the quality on those have gone down dramatically. I mean, Don Pepin showed up and signed a box for my dad and I and they were nothing like the originals. :(

Congrats Brandon! What did you name him?, what day, weight etc? For my first I got a box of coffined smokes with a boxcode of his birth month/year. I will definitely be doing the same with this one. I also got a cab of some smokes from his birth month for smoking in the meantime. I would definitely go with the best you can swing and something with good aging potential...

I'd go with some Cuban 2010 EL's. Considering that Cuban tobacco is very fresh as opposed to NC tobacco which is aged various amounts of time, the Cuban tobacco would probably be better after 18 years of age.

I bought a box of Partagas 898 Varnished for my son that was born in 2009. It's a strong cigar that hopefully has some flavor left after 18 years of aging.

If you have money Behikes first release would absolutely rule in 18 years.

Congrats Brandon!

Get 50 cab of sumthin CC...
Bolis, Montes, Punch...
Personally I would go with ERDM Choix Supreme!

A box of ten is going to only be good for 5 smoking occasions!

Good luck!

-Rob

yeah, I have received a lot of great feedback, and will probably go for an 25 count slb of something nice. If they are stellar, I would hate to only have 10! :thumbs:

I am just not sure about the Behikes, and if they would be worth the money. I could get a nice 25 count box for the same money, so I am thinking that rout for now. Now, trying to find that gem that will still have something left in 18-25 years is a little tricky. Thanks again for all the input, and I am not rushing into this, if you still have info, lets have it! :thumbs:

Brandon

First off, congrats Brandon :thumbs:

My suggestion would be to buy 2 boxes of the same cigar, 1 box to hold onto until he's 18 and the other for you to enjoy 1 a year on his birthday. I'd suggest 2 boxes of PSD4s, you can't go wrong with those and they can be had for around $150/box.

I suggest H. Upmann Mag 48 EL 2009's, they are unusually cheap and very tasty. I bought a box to store and it arrived yesterday. Damn they look good. LINK & REVIEW