• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buying new tires.

Listen up Newb. There ain't a swinging dick on this board I haven't called a Know-it-all Flatlander. You're the only one who has ever got his nose out of joint over it. That ought to tell you something. Maybe not. You got issues. You're only 25 and have yet to accomplish anything worth talking about and yet you spout off like your 60 yrs old and saved the damn world. You drove a car at 180 mph. Big deal. I drove an M-48 ambulance at 50 mph. Guess who's ride was more exciting? You've got a lot to learn yet about life yet, young fella. If your smart, maybe you'll pay attention to folks around here, If not, I suspect you'll be another 90 day wonder. Personally I wouldn't give the powder to blow you to hell. Kids like you just make me want to puke. To think there are kids your age dying for your country, while you're driving fast cars, and going to college, probably on daddy's dime. You can feel insulted now.

Doc.

Wow.....if you read this post with a Jack Nicholson voice it sounds awesome!

Hell, I bet it sounds awesome in DePasta castrado.

Doc/

Listen up Newb. There ain't a swinging dick on this board I haven't called a Know-it-all Flatlander. You're the only one who has ever got his nose out of joint over it. That ought to tell you something. Maybe not. You got issues. You're only 25 and have yet to accomplish anything worth talking about and yet you spout off like your 60 yrs old and saved the damn world. You drove a car at 180 mph. Big deal. I drove an M-48 ambulance at 50 mph. Guess who's ride was more exciting? You've got a lot to learn yet about life yet, young fella. If your smart, maybe you'll pay attention to folks around here, If not, I suspect you'll be another 90 day wonder. Personally I wouldn't give the powder to blow you to hell. Kids like you just make me want to puke. To think there are kids your age dying for your country, while you're driving fast cars, and going to college, probably on daddy's dime. You can feel insulted now.

Doc.

Wow.....if you read this post with a Jack Nicholson voice it sounds awesome!

Hell, I bet it sounds awesome in DePasta castrado.

Doc/

Nope it tends to break glass, but I have since purchased a pair of neuticles from a guy on the board so my voice should get a bit deeper. I'm keeping my fingers crossed......

-D

Nope it tends to break glass, but I have since purchased a pair of neuticles from a guy on the board so my voice should get a bit deeper. I'm keeping my fingers crossed......

-D

All the neuticles will really do for you is make you lile a Christmas tree....

The balls are just for decoration.

http://maps.howstuffworks.com/united-states-annual-snowfall-map.htm

Best "snowtire" story I have.... We got about 65 inches in just over 30 hours here a few years back, people were stuck in downtown, cars trapped everywhere. The State troopers actually asked anyone with a snowmobile to pitch in and help transport people... It was quite an experience riding my snowmobile on the I-190 and into Downtown Buffalo getting people to hotels.

Best "snowtire" story I have.... We got about 65 inches in just over 30 hours here a few years back, people were stuck in downtown, cars trapped everywhere. The State troopers actually asked anyone with a snowmobile to pitch in and help transport people... It was quite an experience riding my snowmobile on the I-190 and into Downtown Buffalo getting people to hotels.

Are you referring to October, 2006? It was my first winter in Buffalo and I thought: "What the f*ck"! Thinking that
every winter in Buffalo was like that. :p

As for what happened early on, one should know better than to mess with Doc. ;) That said, I would pick bridgestone potenzas...I think thats what they are, they are whatever comes with a 2008 dodge avenger. Anyways, my reasoning is simple. 74,000 miles on the original set and still going. I will likely replace them before this winter, but I've never got as much life out of any set of tires I've owned. They have worked well for me in the snow as well, though our winters haven't been very harsh the last few years. A couple of downfalls but nothing too crazy.

What annoys the hell out of me is people who forget how to drive in any type of weather condition. Nevermind having the right tires for the job. They drive ultra slow when it sprinkles out and insanely fast when it is snowing and icy. God help them if they have a 4wd badge on the side of the car...I doubt 25% actually know how to use it properly.

Holy crap this thread took off! In any case I think I have some good suggestions, gonna call for pricing and see where that gets me. Thanks for all the help!

You're from Virgina? 24 yrs old? How many Nor'easters have you driven in?;) Know-it-All Flatlander. :laugh:

Doc.

I'm in Virginia now for law school, but I moved here from Chicago, which is where I'm from. So I think I'm qualified as far as knowing a thing or two about winters.

And I may be 24 . . . but I can guarantee I know plenty about cars and driving. Or are there a lot of mechanics, and certified racing drivers around these parts? And not for your local SCCA . . . I'm talking 180mph plus GT cars.

Let's not be so quick to mouth off in the future . . . :p

I see Law schools are giving out their arrogance implants early.:sign: Chicago, huh. I've been stationed there. Ain't no hills, ya prairie dweller. You ever driven up a hill in a snow storm?

Doc.

Hey Flatlander! (apologies to Doc) Maybe not 180 but about 130 on the EL Diablo dry lake.

Doc, enjoy this SOU WESTER! Let's see your snow tires handle this!
Sorry I didn't wave at 2:00 I was a little busy

I am having the same dilema, the last winter in Washington D.C. was horrible and my wifes scion with all season tires was the best option for getting her to work. My acura was useless in barely touched roads. I plan on getting a suburu in the next coming weeks and then possibly looking for a set of winter tires. My wife is a labor and delivery nurse and has to be at work no matter what the weather kicks up.

Are you referring to October, 2006? It was my first winter in Buffalo and I thought: "What the f*ck"! Thinking that
every winter in Buffalo was like that. :p

No not the October storm.... that was epic for many other reasons, but the snowfall totals for that weren't as impressive as mid-winter storms. This was back in like 2000 or 2001 I can't remember the exact year

As for what happened early on, one should know better than to mess with Doc. ;) That said, I would pick bridgestone potenzas...I think thats what they are, they are whatever comes with a 2008 dodge avenger. Anyways, my reasoning is simple. 74,000 miles on the original set and still going. I will likely replace them before this winter, but I've never got as much life out of any set of tires I've owned. They have worked well for me in the snow as well, though our winters haven't been very harsh the last few years. A couple of downfalls but nothing too crazy.

What annoys the hell out of me is people who forget how to drive in any type of weather condition. Nevermind having the right tires for the job. They drive ultra slow when it sprinkles out and insanely fast when it is snowing and icy. God help them if they have a 4wd badge on the side of the car...I doubt 25% actually know how to use it properly.
You got 74K out of the Pontenza? My experience with these is the total opposite of yours. They came standard on my Outback. First winter I had the car I used these and even new they were horrible in the snow. Very long stopping distances and just marginal traction to take off. They made me buy a set of snows the 2nd year I had the car they were so bad. Wet traction was just OK with these. I replaced they last year with about 25K on them. If I pushed my luck I may have gotten another 5K out of them - and that's with regular rotations and allignments.

I've got Cooper CS 4's now and they're a much better tire in my opinion. I've got about 15K on them with minimal wear. They have excellent wet traction. Can't comment on winter traction since I've got the snows. They're biggest drawback is rolling resistance which may cost a mile or two per gallon. Cooper is running a special on these thru the middle of the month with a $50 rebate with a purchase of 4. I got a rebate also when I bought and they sent it without any hassle on my part. When the wifes car needs tires I'm going to put these on her car as well since I think they're better than the Michelin Pilot Sports that are on it now.

Suprised me as well Mark. I've never got as many miles out of these tires than any other ones. Not even close. Typically I am getting new tires every 30k or so, and I don't buy cheap knockoffs or anything either. They are actually still on my car right now. I've been a bit more religous on tire pressure and rotation since I bought this car, so maybe that has something to do with it. Not sure how long they will really last but I know I want to change them before the snow falls.

Suprised me as well Mark. I've never got as many miles out of these tires than any other ones. Not even close. Typically I am getting new tires every 30k or so, and I don't buy cheap knockoffs or anything either. They are actually still on my car right now. I've been a bit more religous on tire pressure and rotation since I bought this car, so maybe that has something to do with it. Not sure how long they will really last but I know I want to change them before the snow falls.
I don't know what kind of driving you do but highway miles tent to be easier on tires as well. Last time I checked on tirerack they wanted around $800 for a set of four Potenzas in my size. I agree when it comes to tires it doesn't pay to cheap out. That being said I'm usually not brand loyal either. I will buy whatever tire I can get on a good deal when I need them within reason of course. Prices vary a lot from dealer to dealer and time of year. I'll see how long these Coopers last since I don't plan on trading the car anytime soon. Initial impressions are good.

You got 74K out of the Pontenza? My experience with these is the total opposite of yours. They came standard on my Outback. First winter I had the car I used these and even new they were horrible in the snow. Very long stopping distances and just marginal traction to take off. They made me buy a set of snows the 2nd year I had the car they were so bad. Wet traction was just OK with these. I replaced they last year with about 25K on them. If I pushed my luck I may have gotten another 5K out of them - and that's with regular rotations and allignments.

I've got Cooper CS 4's now and they're a much better tire in my opinion. I've got about 15K on them with minimal wear. They have excellent wet traction. Can't comment on winter traction since I've got the snows. They're biggest drawback is rolling resistance which may cost a mile or two per gallon. Cooper is running a special on these thru the middle of the month with a $50 rebate with a purchase of 4. I got a rebate also when I bought and they sent it without any hassle on my part. When the wifes car needs tires I'm going to put these on her car as well since I think they're better than the Michelin Pilot Sports that are on it now.

We get the AWD phenomenon up here in Washington. Subaru's are pretty ubiquitous up here. They need to have people sign disclaimers saying that AWD doesn't mean instantaneous stopping ability.

I think its a bit strange that you only got 25k out of the Potenza's. The Outback's weren't that much heavier than the standard Impreza's. I think my Impreza came with the same tires and I got about 30k+ out of them and that was with a full auto-x season. The thing about the RE-92's is that they were OK at everything, and not good at anything. For the money, there are better tires for sure.

Back