• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cabaiguan/Quai D'Orsay

jabba

Check out the bands...

qd_imper.gif
cabaiguan_cigars.jpg

Cabaiguan image courtesy of that Andrew dude.

Nice catch. Cabaiguan's stuff is about as reminicent of Quai D'Orsay as the Tatuaje branding is to Montecristo's (brown & white band/fleur-de-lis).

I wonder if Pete had these particular brands in mind when designing the package.

Wilkey,

Do you carry this sort of thing around with you :D

to quote DeNiro... "You, you're good YOU!"

What's up with the use of Cuban band styles?? Kind of a cheesy way to market these, IMO. Did the Altadis/Habanos SA not internationally trademark the EL bands??

Link

See MattR's comment back in November 2005. :thumbs:

Pete's / Pepin's cigars can stand on their own merits; too bad they chose to mimic band designs to market their sticks.

Hey Wilkey, how about some boobies from that
encyclopedia pocket of yours? :laugh:

Brian

What's up with the use of Cuban band styles?? Kind of a cheesy way to market these, IMO. Did the Altadis/Habanos SA not internationally trademark the EL bands??

Link

See MattR's comment back in November 2005. :thumbs:

Pete's / Pepin's cigars can stand on their own merits; too bad they chose to mimic band designs to market their sticks.

I agree... having blended great cigars, they should have been a lot more creative with the marketing/bands.

What happened to Moki's picture in post #1?

I wonder if Pete had these particular brands in mind when designing the package.
When designing the bands? Undoubtedly. When designing the blends? I don't believe so.

The line between an homage and imitation is oftentimes fuzzy. In this case, I would agree that the bands and boxes step close to the imitation side of the fuzzy grey line. For others, they might be well into copycat territory.

Appearances aside, I suspect the only person who could shed some light on the motivation and choices behind these particular design choices would be Pete Johnson.

Andrew, what do you think about dropping Pete a line and asking him about his approach to designing the packaging and dress "in the Cuban tradition?"

Wilkey

Seems to be somewhat of a common practice with Non Cubans, I just noticed that the Licenciados Brand is exactly like the Cuban Diplomaticos... I guess Habanos SA sees this as a form of flattery.

This was absolutely done intentionally... from a homage point of view, not from a "let's copy them to confuse people" point of view.

This was absolutely done intentionally... from a homage point of view, not from a "let's copy them to confuse people" point of view.

That makes more sense, Pete seems like a bright individual.

No one's mentioned it, but if you didn't know, Cabaiguan,Cuba, is Don Pepin Garcia's home town.

Doc.

More than you ever wanted to know about Tatuaje cigars -- I added a bunch of info to it after speaking with Pete. If anything is wrong, it's my fault, not his. :)

I agree... having blended great cigars, they should have been a lot more creative with the marketing/bands.

Well, you have to understand, the majority of cigar smokers in the USA (which is Pete's target market) have very little idea what a Quai D'Orsay cigar band looks like, or any other Cuban cigar band for that matter. So it really wasn't done as a "gimmick" or due to lack of creativity.

It's my understanding that the vision for their cigars is to do things simply, in old-style Cuban tradition, not just the blending of the cigars, tobaccos used, etc., but also the packaging. Thus what you see from them so far.

What happened to Moki's picture in post #1?

Pictures that are up on vitolas.net can't be leached... it's to prevent people from ripping off the pictures and using them in cigar auction sites, etc. I got sick of trying to run people down. :)

Moki,

Can't you make an expection for me, you know I always give you the credit for those wonderful pics :p just kidding, no worries and thanks for the response.

That strength chart you added is nice.