• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Can diet affect cigar taste? I beleive so

mcoupe

In addition to my passion for cigars, I also enjoy working out and for the past couple of years I have been following a very strict nutrional plan. I either follow a bulk type diet where my nutrional macros include carbs, protiens and fats or a ketogenic diet which contains very limited amounts of carbs. I usually run these in cycles that are several months in duration.

Prior to a strict diet, I've always enjoyed the usual brand of cigars; Fuentes, Illusiones, Tatuajes, and Padrons among others. Around the time I started a strict nutrional plan, I noticed that I no longer enjoyed certain brands of cigars but never really thought about it - I just thought my taste in cigars was changing. However, a certain time would come and I would start enjoying them again. That got me thinking and I started keeping track of what cigars I enjoyed during which diet phase I was in.

My results which were documented across 3 or 4 cycles of diets showed that while on a ketogenic diet, the taste of cigars I enjoyed was very limited. For example, I do not enjoy smoking any Padrons or Illusiones. There are also cigars like Anejos which I enjoy much more while on this diet.

The ketogenic diet also seems to affect my sensitivity to nicotine.

These are just my subjective observations but I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar while on diets for an extended period.

I did a detox over a few days. After completion, I found that I could taste nuances in cigars and bourbon that I could not detect before.

I also have a friend who states that he'll go on a juicing detox to, "cleanse his palate from the inside."

Wow nice post. Never put any thought to it. I wonder if it was broke down further if it would show its what you eat and or drink in that given day.

Wow nice post. Never put any thought to it. I wonder if it was broke down further if it would show its what you eat and or drink in that given day.

Good thought and I forgot to add that the meals I eat, especially while on a ketogenic, are almost exactly the same every day. Also, in reflecting on this some more, I notice that while on this diet I don't like as many types of foods.

So, maybe that means that this type of diet can diminish the types of tastes that are appealing whether it be food or cigars. I still have tastes for other things but I won't go there. :laugh:

It makes sense. Much like a pregnant woman's cravings signal that her body needs certain nutrients, your body changes what tastes good based on what it needs, in order to prompt you to eat certain foods.

That really is a good point you bring up, now that I think about it on a "cutting" type diet where I eat things with very little flavor all the time. As compared to a bulking type diet, my tastes for things do change a lot. not only with cigars, but food in general. While cutting it seems that your taste becomes very "desensitized" and you don't really pick up on suttle flavors in hardly anything.

Yes, I have absolutely experienced and logged this as well. Dairy seemed to have the most effect on taste for me. 2 to 3 days after having any Ice Cream or milk all cigars taste very bland. When I am sampling or blending I have to stay away from certain foods. One of the Master's I was working with in Nicaragua explained it to me a little better than I could. He said The cigar leaf has Amonium Nitrate residue left over which is very Alkaline and depending on what you eat will make your body more acidic or alkaline. When combined with your saliva will alter the taste. He said, If you are extremely acidic you will actually taste the residue which is salt. Made sense to me.

Yes, I have absolutely experienced and logged this as well. Dairy seemed to have the most effect on taste for me. 2 to 3 days after having any Ice Cream or milk all cigars taste very bland. When I am sampling or blending I have to stay away from certain foods. One of the Master's I was working with in Nicaragua explained it to me a little better than I could. He said The cigar leaf has Amonium Nitrate residue left over which is very Alkaline and depending on what you eat will make your body more acidic or alkaline. When combined with your saliva will alter the taste. He said, If you are extremely acidic you will actually taste the residue which is salt. Made sense to me.

Hey, great info...I am in ketosis now with a continuous acetone taste in my mouth and while I might no be able to pick out the taste of the residue, it is affecting my taste preferences. It's not that cigars taste different to me, it's just that certain brands like Padron which I normally love, taste like crap to me now while on this diet.

Hey, great info...I am in ketosis now with a continuous acetone taste in my mouth and while I might no be able to pick out the taste of the residue, it is affecting my taste preferences. It's not that cigars taste different to me, it's just that certain brands like Padron which I normally love, taste like crap to me now while on this diet.

I had the same experience last week with a Padron. At first I thought it was allergies. Several days later I tried another Padron, and had the same bad result. Seeing this thread made me realize the cause. I started a low carb diet more than a week ago. That must be it.