• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Can I salvage my cigars?

mtschust

I have given up on cigars for the past 6 months and the cigars that I have are in my humidor with no humidity. I opened one up and was going to have a smoke then I remembered cigars need humididity if you have them in a humidor. :( My question. are these smokes complete garbage or is there some way I can salvage them by using the beads and distilled water. I would like to be able to save them as there are some really nice smokes I guess I should have got off my lazy ass once a day and checked the humidity levels.

To my knowledge, they are DONE. But, let's see if some of the more experienced members can offer some other advice.

I'd pull the sticks out, put them in a tupperdor with some beads and re-season the humi. Then throw the sticks back in once re-seasoned and let them sit for a spell. Try them after a couple few weeks and see how they are.

You can bring them back in the humidity department and make them smokeable. But, they will never be the same as they were before they dried up. The only way to see what I mean, is to smoke one afterwards.

I got some opus that were about 5 years old from a friend who let his hummi go to. I have had them resting in my hummi at 68rh and they have regained. They are smokable but never regained there oils!! Six months may not be to late, give it a shot and see what happens.

A wise man mentioned the following some two years ago when I was reading a similar thread. I completely agree!

"If cigars are not stored properly for 3 weeks, they will never be the same again"

Brian

Whatever you do, just reintroduce the moisture slowly. If the structural integrity of the cigars is good, you eventually can smoke them. You could smoke one now, but it may be a little hot, etc.
No, they may not taste the same, or even taste great for that matter, but you may be suprised that some won't be half bad.

Whatever you do, just reintroduce the moisture slowly. If the structural integrity of the cigars is good, you eventually can smoke them. You could smoke one now, but it may be a little hot, etc.
No, they may not taste the same, or even taste great for that matter, but you may be suprised that some won't be half bad.
Wise words and worthy advice. If they survive rehumidification without splitting, they'll probably at least be good enough for cutting the grass. :) In other words, you've got nothing at all to lose.

Wilkey

It depends on your ambient RH. Do you live in a hydroponics hothouse? ;)

Seriously, do you have a Hygro in there that records min and max levels?

mmmmm.....R.I.P. But like others have said, you have nothing to lose. From experience, they never "fully" recover. I "eased" about 15 sticks back from death and about half of the wrappers made it without splitting severely, and the other half actually became beautiful sticks again...but they just didn't taste the same to me. I smoked the first 6 months later and ewwww and then I continued to smoke them every month to see a difference in taste and nope...not the same! GOOD LUCK THOUGH!

***just keep an eye on your RH...like they said, ease it back sloooooooow....and keep a very close eye on RH daily***

My point was this. How do you know how dry the really were? You never mentioned a specific RH reading. If it was a good seal on the humi and fully charged, it may not have gotten very low.

I have a humi where I keep my CFO #9 matures. I don't much care for them but put them in there since I wasn't using it. I rarely open it and I haven't needed to charge it but once in a great while. I don't open it and it has a decent seal so the RH keeps well for long periods.

If they got really dry for even a week they may be done. But how dry did they get? Dig? ;)

Wise words and worthy advice. If they survive rehumidification without splitting, they'll probably at least be good enough for cutting the grass. :) In other words, you've got nothing at all to lose.

Wilkey
Wise words from wise men, but I'm going to disagree a bit. If you cigars got dusty dry, the oils in the tobacco will have crystallized and even dried out to the point where you "could" smoke them, but they'll have to taste and complexity of properly humidified pencil shavings rolled in newsprint. Of course you have little to lose at this point other than time, so what the heck. However, Vortex raises a very good point:

My point was this. How do you know how dry the really were? You never mentioned a specific RH reading. If it was a good seal on the humi and fully charged, it may not have gotten very low.

I have a humi where I keep my CFO #9 matures. I don't much care for them but put them in there since I wasn't using it. I rarely open it and I haven't needed to charge it but once in a great while. I don't open it and it has a decent seal so the RH keeps well for long periods.

If they got really dry for even a week they may be done. But how dry did they get? Dig? ;)
How dry did they really get? Maybe not as bad as you think..?? I'd say "project re-humidification" is well worth your time.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

??? A lot of wise men here, anyone see a virgin running around? ???

They must have got pretty dry because the hygrometer was not showing a humidity level. I am going to take them all out and season the humidor tonight, then try and get them back into a smokeable cigar. They may not be great but we will see how they turn out.

They must have got pretty dry because the hygrometer was not showing a humidity level. I am going to take them all out and season the humidor tonight, then try and get them back into a smokeable cigar. They may not be great but we will see how they turn out.
If they are completely dry then it's a waste of time.

The wise men can pack their virgins on their camels and hit the frankincense. :rolleyes:

Bring them back slowly as too much humidity will ruin them even more. Try a RH of around 55 for a week,,,then up to 60 and then after a week up to 65. If indeed they are Opus cigars they are worth the wait and time to work with them. What a pity to leave them without proper humidity,,I will say a prayer to the Cigar Gods.