• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Canadian Taxes

thevalkrye

uhh huh huh huh...member.
I know some of you guys have asked about Canadian taxes before. Just so you get an idea here is one that happened to me recently. My original order was for $282.00 US. The package arrived with an additional tobacco tax/duty charge of $543.57 CDN. That is about $503.33 US. What is that about 178% tax? Crazy!

Just imagine, for a little more than double that, you could take you and a friend / better half to Cuba and do some "in person" shopping with no fear of duties or taxes.

Living in Canada myself all I can say is I feel your pain and how sad.

Ouch. That's why I try to only have my 'cheap' smokes shipped up to me, in case they get caught. Any order over about $120 (cdn) I try to plan a trip over the boarder to bring them back so I don't have to worry about duties or taxes. By that I mean I stay 48 hrs so it's all legit.

So I'll be moving to Ft. Drum next Jun and had thought about coming up to Canada to sight see and pick up some cigars. But if the price of them is going to double because of taxes I might need to rethink that. :whistling:

Well don't buy NCs here, that's just a waste of your money.
No I was thinking more along the lines of CC. But I'm not sure of all the rules and regulations of whether you can bring a certain amount back across the border or not. ??? Something I have to research.

Don't bother with the research, you can't bring commie cigars into the US under any circumstances.

Doc.

Thanks Doc. Heard a lot of different rumors out there. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :thumbs:

SNIP<<<<
No I was thinking more along the lines of CC.>>>>SNIP

Here's a list of cigar prices at one shop in Montreal I visited in June of '06, and I can pretty well guarantee that prices have gone up since that. You aren't even allowed to smoke in this place.

I posted this somewhere here before (I think) but in case I didn't, here's a random list of prices of smokes in the one store I went into in Montreal in May.

Hey all.

Just getting ready to pack to go back home.

I'll give a more detailed report later in the week,but here's a sample:

EDIT:

Here's the full list of what I took prices on in the shop.
  • AF Short Story - $23.83 ea
  • AF Flor Fina 8-5-8 - $21.49
  • Opus X (4 sizes) - $52 - $92 ea
  • Ashton VSG (2 sizes) - $34 & $49
  • La Aurora Prefediros Tubo - $50
  • La Aurora 1495 Robusto - $24
  • La Aurora 1495 Churchill - $30
  • La Flor Domineca Double Ligerio (2 sizes) $24 & $29
  • Padron Anniversary '64 Exclusivo - $62
  • Padron 6000 - $38
  • Cohiba Siglo III - $41
  • Cohiba Siglo IV - $45
  • Cohiba Siglo V - $59
  • Cohiba Siglo VI - $69 ($80 for the Tubo)
  • Cohiba Robusto - $46
  • Monte Cristo #1 - $30
  • Monte Cristo #2 - $33 (this seems wrong)
  • Bolivar Petite Corona - $17
  • Bolivar Rubusto - $23
  • Bolivar Torpedo - $28
  • Xikar Xi Cutter - $75
  • Xikar Xi2 Cutter - $100
  • Xikar Xi3 Cutter - $125
  • Bullet Punch - $50 +
I was in one big shop, so I can't compare prices amongst other stores in the area. Suffice to say this place seemed very busy so I highly doubt they're priced out of the local market.

Needless to say, you see now why most of us Canucks go into a feeding frenzy whenever we get across the border.

Newfie.

Still wanna buy cigars in Canada??

SNIP<<<<
No I was thinking more along the lines of CC.>>>>SNIP

Here's a list of cigar prices at one shop in Montreal I visited in June of '06, and I can pretty well guarantee that prices have gone up since that. You aren't even allowed to smoke in this place.

I posted this somewhere here before (I think) but in case I didn't, here's a random list of prices of smokes in the one store I went into in Montreal in May.

Hey all.

Just getting ready to pack to go back home.

I'll give a more detailed report later in the week,but here's a sample:

EDIT:

Here's the full list of what I took prices on in the shop.
  • AF Short Story - $23.83 ea
  • AF Flor Fina 8-5-8 - $21.49
  • Opus X (4 sizes) - $52 - $92 ea
  • Ashton VSG (2 sizes) - $34 & $49
  • La Aurora Prefediros Tubo - $50
  • La Aurora 1495 Robusto - $24
  • La Aurora 1495 Churchill - $30
  • La Flor Domineca Double Ligerio (2 sizes) $24 & $29
  • Padron Anniversary '64 Exclusivo - $62
  • Padron 6000 - $38
  • Cohiba Siglo III - $41
  • Cohiba Siglo IV - $45
  • Cohiba Siglo V - $59
  • Cohiba Siglo VI - $69 ($80 for the Tubo)
  • Cohiba Robusto - $46
  • Monte Cristo #1 - $30
  • Monte Cristo #2 - $33 (this seems wrong)
  • Bolivar Petite Corona - $17
  • Bolivar Rubusto - $23
  • Bolivar Torpedo - $28
  • Xikar Xi Cutter - $75
  • Xikar Xi2 Cutter - $100
  • Xikar Xi3 Cutter - $125
  • Bullet Punch - $50 +
I was in one big shop, so I can't compare prices amongst other stores in the area. Suffice to say this place seemed very busy so I highly doubt they're priced out of the local market.

Needless to say, you see now why most of us Canucks go into a feeding frenzy whenever we get across the border.

Newfie.

Still wanna buy cigars in Canada??

??? :0 :whistling: Thanks for that. Might have to rethink this stategy about trying some CC's. :blush:

It's painful... I know. I'd bet a trusted online retail outfit overseas would be cheaper for CC's.

I little while back I bought a 5'er off a BOTL here, worked out to $9 per stick. A similarly sized Opus to one in my purchase was $36 in my B&M. It sucks, but you can't blame the B&M for passing their cost of operating plus their profit margin to their customers... they wouldn't be open much longer if they didn't operate like that.

It's painful... I know. I'd bet a trusted online retail outfit overseas would be cheaper for CC's.

I little while back I bought a 5'er off a BOTL here, worked out to $9 per stick. A similarly sized Opus to one in my purchase was $36 in my B&M. It sucks, but you can't blame the B&M for passing their cost of operating plus their profit margin to their customers... they wouldn't be open much longer if they didn't operate like that.
I don't know how anyone can afford to buy smokes in a B&M up here on a regular basis.

Do they tax hockey pucks?

Doc.

13% in Ontario. However, if you make it out to the melting snow piles around the outdoor rinks in the middle/end of March you can get lots for free...although they'll usually have a Canadian Tire logo on them. :laugh:

SNIP<<<<It sucks, but you can't blame the B&M for passing their cost of operating plus their profit margin to their customers>>>>SNIP

I don't know of anyone who does. Pair the taxes with the stupid smoking laws and I don't know how they stay in business.

I don't know how anyone can afford to buy smokes in a B&M up here on a regular basis.

Only the "Rich & Famous" my friend.

I love Canada. Grew up 40 mi. from Quebec. Bought my first drink there. Got my first piece there. Seen more hockey in the old Forum than I've seen in the Garden. It's a damn shame what they've done to that country.

Doc.