• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO CRIOLLO

tigbuddy

I am new to this site and cigars but here goes. At first glance I noticed two veins running the full ength of the stick. The wrapper was dark rich and oily looking. There were no bumps or soft spots any where to be found. After clipping the cap I took a long draw and ummm I like this one. Smooth draw with a slight sweetness.

It took me a good 1-1/2 minuets to light but I was having fun and didnt want to rush it. After it was going I got a good mouth full of smooth rich flavor that let me know right then I'll have more of these. The finish it gave was heaven.The burn was a little uneven with a light gray and some what flakey ash. This I think it was me going a little fast but as I said I am new and learning. This was he same through out the first half.

I slowed down on the seond half, drank more of the white russian I was having with this wonderfull cigar. Had to relight a couple of times in the second half, so I think I was getting better at this. The burn was doing better and the ash was getting smoother and whiter. To me me the second half tasted ever bit as good and as smooth as the first half, but so was my drink lol. As I said I'm new at this so I'm sure I left out some good stuff about this wonder full cigar but there you have my first shot at this.There will be more CAOs in my future

Hank

Thanks for the review... I have still yet to try one of these... I'll have to pull one out of my humi here in the near future.

Good review. I am a fan of CAO but this is one that I avoid. Definately try some of their others. I really like the Black, the Brazillia, CX2 and Sopranos. Sopranos are too expensive though.

The Criollo, Brazilia, and Italia are the only CAO cigars I'll touch anymore. They're unique and I like that. I've had bad luck with much of the rest of their lines. The construction is always top drawer, but I've found some pretty unpleasant flavors in most of the CAO offerings I've had.

I get a nice nuttiness out of the Criollos that I haven't found in any other smoke I've tried.

Good review. I am a fan of CAO but this is one that I avoid. Definately try some of their others. I really like the Black, the Brazillia, CX2 and Sopranos. Sopranos are too expensive though.

I picked up one of the soprano's the other day, but I am holding off on smoking it for a little while due to what i paid or it. But I am definitely looking forward to it.

I really enjoy the spice of the Criollo, one of CAO's best IMO.
I also love the Cameroon and maybe the Brazilia, but the rest doesn't do much for me.............great marketing department though

Nice review on a good cigar.

I like the smaller sizes and often grab one when i have a short drive. Great with about anything, but i usually find myself having one with an espresso in the truck on the fly.

Thanks for sharing. Try the Brazilias, Italias, Sopranos and Blacks. All of those are worth a shot IMO.

I'm not really a CAO guy anymore (since they put more of their efforts into marketing, and less into making good cigars), but I'm a big fan of the Criollos. When I used to work at the Tinderbox, the CAO rep would bring me a handful of them every time he came around because he knew I liked them so much. :thumbs:

I'm just the opposite; I'm not a fan of CAO and hardly ever smoke any of their cigars. However, the 2-3 Criollos that I had were actually pretty decent. I would pick up a couple more at the right price. I'm not sure I would say that of any other CAO.

I just got done with one of these and was very impressed. I never had a corojo before and it was definatly an interesting smoke. It had a nutty spicyness which I never tasted before. Smoked it down to the nub with hardly any bitterness at the end. The only issue I had was it went out a couple times and had to be re-lit. Other than that, it was highly enjoyable and would recommend to anyone wanting something a little different in taste.

Nice rewiew, IMO the criollo is cao's best cigar. I ussually smoke one on the way to work. Great flavor without big nic kick.

I like the Criollo also, but I've had lots of problems with the wrapper splitting on me. Practically every one. I kind of avoid them because of that. I keep the coolers at 65%.

Keith

Smoking one out on the deck right now. A very tasty medium bodied cigar. I keep my humidor at 65% as well and have also noticed a bit of splitting of the wrapper. Not too bad but definitely noticeable in a couple spots.

Great review bro!
Like many others, I like these as well! I'm with you LilBastage, they are unique, and I like that!!! :thumbs:

Criollo and the 65th anniversary are great cao cigars. heck so are brazilia,italia,mx2,and odyssey. The 65th has to take the cake though man is it good.

After the one I had the other day, I just had to grab a fiver to stick in the humi. Great smoke imho though I wasn't nearly as enthralled with the CX2 or Brasilia.

This stick was the sole reason I gave CAO so many chances. I LOVED the pampa version of this the first time that I had it. FELL.... IN.... LOVE. then I have a brazilian, it was ok, then I had a black, it wasn't very good, then I had the huge ring gauge italia and I couldn't bring myself to finish it! Lastly, I had one of their new Americas and it was ok, but I'm not a big coffee guy, in fact, I hate coffee. So that wasn't for me. What I'm trying to say is, that single Criollo was so good to make me give CAO all those chances over and over again, disappointment after disappointment. Now I've had the mancha size as well since and although still good, for some reason those little pampas just have a thing about them that's out of this world.
Chris

I am looking forward to trying the CAO Criollo and your review is very helpful.

A while ago I got a few different CAO in the Newbie Sampler Trade. One that I liked was the CAO Gold Robusto. I think they are a decent, well-priced, flavorful, milder smoke. I prefer fuller taste and body but they are a good change of pace for me.

Cheers,
antaean