• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO Extreme Robusto

ThankYouForNotSmoking

Self-Proclaimed Everyman's Man
Hi, this isn't an official review, but I had a rather bad experience this last weekend smoking a CAO Extreme Robusto. I've seen it rated highly, at least in the Churchill size, but the tabak I went to didn't have that, the one I smoked was awful. I'm one for full bodied, spicy, powerful cigars, but this one was just all power and a lot of flat taste. The spiciness that was there was strong, but had no nuance, it was just like a really bad bottle of hot sauce. On the other hand, the construction was near flawless, and it's unusual to smoke an incredibally well constructed, poor tasting cigar, so I think I may have just purchased a lemon. Any thoughts on this? I'm a fan of other CAOs too, so I was hoping to find another good cigar within their line.

Also, unrelated, I've read that the Fuente Hemmingway comes in natural and maduro, yet, I only ever see natural. Is the maduro just very rare? The naturals I do see are rather dark, definitely colorado maduro-esque, but nothing is listed as 'maduro'. Any insight?

Yes, maduro Hemmingways are somewhat rare. They mostly show up during the holiday season, along with some other Fuente goodies like Anejos.

I find that CAO's benefit greatly from some down time in the humidor. I have had terrible experiences with freshies but any time I let them sit for at least 6 weeks I am rewarded!
YMMV,
Rob

I find that CAO's benefit greatly from some down time in the humidor. I have had terrible experiences with freshies but any time I let them sit for at least 6 weeks I am rewarded!
YMMV,
Rob

I agree with this. I like the CAO extreme a lot. I just opened a new box though and the first couple of sticks were kind of harsh. I'm going to let them sit and I'm sure they'll turnaround.

YMMV,
Rob

I agree with this. I like the CAO extreme a lot. I just opened a new box though and the first couple of sticks were kind of harsh. I'm going to let them sit and I'm sure they'll turnaround.

I just smoked an Extreme Belicoso with over a year of humi time on it and it was a lot smoother and more balanced than when fresh. But, I can say that the Extreme is not my favorite CAO. I prefer the CAO Maduro or Brazilia.

I picked up a couple of short story maddies at holts in Philly I am letting them sit for a few weeks and will post a review of one in a few days... They only had two and I got em :D

Shooter

IMO... CAO's are good for starting camp fires or BBQs... I would never waste a nickle on one.

IMO... CAO's are good for starting camp fires or BBQs... I would never waste a nickle on one.

I couldn't disagree more, the Brazillia Samba is a great smoke, I've also heard really good things for the Crillo and the Maduro. Granted their kitsch is near unbearable, and the Extreme isn't great, they are always well constructed, and usually well balanced cigars. Not to mention, you can find them at great prices, I purchased 20 Brazilias online for $87 shipped.

You must have some real bad experiences with CAOs huh Jabba? How many have you smoked in your life to completely trash the entire line?

You must have some real bad experiences with CAOs huh Jabba? How many have you smoked in your life to completely trash the entire line?

ONE TO MANY!

I have to learn not smoke anymore Zee Bombs! That guy almost single handley turned me off cigars LMAO, j/king

I couldn't disagree more, the Brazillia Samba is a great smoke, I've also heard really good things for the Crillo and the Maduro. Granted their kitsch is near unbearable, and the Extreme isn't great, they are always well constructed, and usually well balanced cigars. Not to mention, you can find them at great prices, I purchased 20 Brazilias online for $87 shipped.

Just wondering if you've tried any Fuentes, Padrons or Havanas and how you think they compare?

I've got some of these in my humi that I've had for years, and they are great if properly aged, but I don't prefer them when they're new. The ones I have are covered in bloom because they have very oily wrappers.

How are they stregnth wise after such a long time?
I am sure they are sweet and flavorful....but I would think after such a legnth of time it would lose its character and profile.

They are much better after you age them a while. Still quite potent, but they develop some character as well...maybe they just steal a little from the other sticks in the humi!

In my experience, the CAO maduros are much better out of the box, and better still after proper aging.

Just wondering if you've tried any Fuentes, Padrons or Havanas and how you think they compare?

Ok, fair enough, I think the Brazilia is at least as good as a Fuente SG or a Padron 6000 maduro. The construction on the stick is quite amazing, and if you like the occasional high nicotine content cigar, the Samba can be a good way to go (excluding the really high power stuff - Joya de Nicaragua Antanos...). It's a good spicy cigar that can add some variety to almost anyone's box, mostly because there aren't a lot of Brazilian wrapped cigars out there. Bottom line is that it's not the best thing out there, yet, it's still pretty good, even straight out of a store's humi. I know I've seen sights, magazines, etc. that puts the Samba over sticks like the Padron '64, Ashton VSG, OpusX, etc. I don't' think that's really deserved, the Brazilia scores a little higher than maybe it should, but it's still a good, solid cigar and an excellent candidate to make a great cigar after a year or so. Or so I think, anyone have a 1yr old Samba?