• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO LX2

stevehawk

'Member? C'mon you 'member!
Just smoked my first LX2 last night (toro). Man, what a nice cigar! This is my all time favorite CAO, hands down. Sorry no pics and no review. Just two big thumbs up on the latest release by CAO. :thumbs:

p.s. So nice, had to buy a box!

Drapers in Washington DC -- they just received them on Monday. The price was not bad either IMO. Paid about $122 for a box of 20 toros. I called idahogn, who owns the B&M where I live shop at in Idaho to ask if he had received any and he had not.

Edit to add: Draper's had a pretty good stock on hand, but they were going fast. I'm sure you could Google their number for an order if interested.

Picked up a few yesterday at Drapers as well. Funny thing is that the toros were listed at 6 x 50 and you can tell right away that these were smaller in ring guage. Dave checked using a rg guide and yup, ran between 46 and 47 with a lot of room in the 48 slot. The robusto which was listed at 48 was thicker at 50. No complaints as either way, they looked really nice. Will see if I have time to spark one today. G1

Picked up a few yesterday at Drapers as well. Funny thing is that the toros were listed at 6 x 50 and you can tell right away that these were smaller in ring guage. Dave checked using a rg guide and yup, ran between 46 and 47 with a lot of room in the 48 slot. The robusto which was listed at 48 was thicker at 50. No complaints as either way, they looked really nice. Will see if I have time to spark one today. G1

What time were you there? I was sitting and smoking from 1:45 - 3:00 pm. I saw a few folks buying these, maybe I saw you?

It was probably around 2. Was talking to John about having to work Thanksgiving etc. Bought 3 robos, 2 toros. Dave checked the ring guages with the guide both mentioned how heavy the smoke was. Soccer game on the screen. G1

It was probably around 2. Was talking to John about having to work Thanksgiving etc. Bought 3 robos, 2 toros. Dave checked the ring guages with the guide both mentioned how heavy the smoke was. Soccer game on the screen. G1

Dark hair? He mentioned Ebbitt's Grill to you, I believe? I was sitting in the chair next to the door. LOL. Good to (almost) meet you. :laugh:

Yeah I think that was me. We were talking about how some places to a lot of business for thanksgiving and some not. Yeah, your "brother" came in right around the time I was leaving. I'll have to see how these smoke. they look really nice, just missing that barnyard smell I love. G1

Yep. That was Dennis, aka thehatguy here on CP. My BOTL and my brother.

I remember the Ebbitt's comment because Dennis and I had breakfast there yesterday morning and the head chef (can't remember his name) said that they would be cooking up 120 turkeys for Thanksgiving.

Let us know what you thnk of the LX2. I had heard good things about them but was still pleasantly surprised with the one I smoked last night.

Man you are so lucky I have not been able to get my hands on a LX2. It is the missing link my my quest to smoke every CAO made They will make it out here sometime soon I hope rp

I just got my hands on an LX2 at a local CAO event yesterday (Sunrise Coast Tobacco, Flint, Michigan)

Since I like a full bodied smoke, the rep assured me I would enjoy the LX2, so I picked up a Robusto to try.

Appearance: Beautiful construction, the stick is firm, but not hard, the wrapper has a nice sheen, and medium fine to fine veining. One note though, I noticed quite a bit of variation in color, and aroma, among the cigars in the box I chose mine from. It will be interesting to see if this causes a consistency issue to crop up, so anyone who bought a box, please let us know!

Pre-Light: As mentioned, there was some variation in aroma between sticks examined, some had very little aroma, others were quite aromatic, slight cedar and leather smell, nothing off or unpleasant. The cap clipped cleanly and nicely, and the pre-light draw was smooth, again I picked up the leather notes, plus a little bite of pepper on my lips.

Light and first third: The aroma while toasting was wonderful, full of rich promise, the light was smooth and even, and the first couple draws were proof positive there was a lot of ligero in this cigar, just as the CAO rep had promised. The first third of the smoke was full of peppery, rich and spicy smoke, and there was loads of smoke. The ash was medium grey and held tight, very dense, I had to roll it off in the ashtray.

Second third: At the second third of the stick, the flavors changed, the pepper smoothed out, and became a creamy cinnamon/ginger flavor with notes of leather and a light lingering aftertaste I couldn’t quite place, but it was pleasant. The smoke continued to be plentiful, and the burn remained even and the stick cool.

Final third and the bitter end….OK bitter end is a euphemism, this cigar finished wonderfully and I hated to put it down. The final third was much like the second third, plentiful smoke with a load of complex flavors, toward the last inch the pepper returned, but not nearly as powerful as in the beginning.

Overall rating (and remember, I am a noob): I would give this an 87, and only because of the variations I noticed, and the afore mentioned variation in ring size.

I smoke La Gloria Cubana Serie R, and Joya de Nicaragua Antano regularly, they are powerhouse smokes with complex flavors, and the CAO can definitely hold its own with these.

I will be getting a few more of these very soon, and want to pair one with a good Kentucky bourbon, something with a lot of vanilla (Knob Creek perhaps) as I think it would balance the pepper in the beginning very nicely.

I smoked one last Saturday at my B&M (BrookelynnCigars in Wilmington, NC) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. johnpaulh's review is pretty darn near close to what everybody else there that was smoking it was saying. I'm not sure if they still have any in stock, but their website is www.brookelynncigars.com.

Just got one of these per uncelnino....good to see positive comments about it. I think I'll let mine sit in the box for a little while before I bring it out to play though.

Drapers in Washington DC -- they just received them on Monday. The price was not bad either IMO. Paid about $122 for a box of 20 toros. I called idahogn, who owns the B&M where I live shop at in Idaho to ask if he had received any and he had not.

Edit to add: Draper's had a pretty good stock on hand, but they were going fast. I'm sure you could Google their number for an order if interested.
idahogn has several boxes in .. impatient bastard! :laugh:

I smoked an Lx2 last night for my first time. It was a pretty good cigar. I liked it much better than the Mx2 or Americana. But I still have to say that the CAO Brazillia Box Press is still my favorite CAO cigar to date.

My impressions are that it is a medium/full - full bodied cigar. It burns and smokes well. And it seems to get much stronger after a few inches into the cigar. But it seemed very one dimensional to me. Good, just not up there on my list. Glad you liked it though!

Yeah I picked up one a couple of weeks ago. I'm gonna let it sit for awhile before I smoke it, but I can't wait to test it out.

Just smoked my first LX2 last night (toro). Man, what a nice cigar! This is my all time favorite CAO, hands down. Sorry no pics and no review. Just two big thumbs up on the latest release by CAO. :thumbs:

Have any to sell/ trade?? I've been looking & waiting for these for a LONG time! I'd like to get my hands on 3 if possible...
Thanks!

~ t

Would anybody say that these are better than the Soprano?

Man you are so lucky I have not been able to get my hands on a LX2. It is the missing link my my quest to smoke every CAO made They will make it out here sometime soon I hope rp

Not sure where in Portland you live, but if you head down 82nd and hit up Cascade, they have many, almost a whole box of robustos, toros, and I think I even saw a torpedo. I didn't ask if there were any boxes of them in the back, but they were behind the counter, not sure why they weren't up with the rest of the CAO's...

Have any to sell/ trade?? I've been looking & waiting for these for a LONG time! I'd like to get my hands on 3 if possible...
Thanks!

~ t

Yeah, I can let 3 go. How about a blind trade? Wanna make it a fiver - I can toss in a couple of others to round it out?

Just send me a PM with your addy if you're interested.