• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Car got broken into Friday...

2K6TBSS

Yeah, my wife's truck was broken into when she was at work. The fuggers stole the deck, and the GPS unit that she uses almost daily. They also stole a lot of her work stuff, like her baby scale, blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, laptop power cord (she had the laptop in the office), and her work bag with a bunch of baby stuff. She is a public health nurse for the county we live in working with new moms and babies.

The thing that is kinda funny about it is that whoever broke into the truck left the wiring harness for the deck and the power cords for the GPS unit, so both things are pretty much useless, unless you buy some additional stuff.

Sorry to hear that too many folks doing bad stuff!

Definitely sucks. Does your car insurance cover the items lost ?

That sucks my man. I really really hate thieves. I had a friend have her car broken into for the change that she had in her cup holder. Because of that I never have anything in value within sight, not even one penny. Hope the Insurance can do something about this.

David

Insurance will cover the deck, minus the deductible. The GPS unit and all the other stuff wasn't "bolted" to the car so insurance won't be covering it.

On the plus side, all of the work stuff is getting replaced by her work, since it happened in the clinic parking lot, and a police report was filed.

I am going to be replacing the deck with a unit that is the same price as the insurance check, so nothing will be out of pocket for the deck. It looks like we will only be out of pocket the price of replacing the GPS unit (about $150 or so).

I guess it could have been a lot worse, as the thieves didn't break any glass in getting into the truck. From what I can tell they used a lock pick set (the kind like AAA uses when you lock your keys in your car), because there is no damage to the outside of the vehicle and some fresh scratches near the inside lock (from trying to slide the lock open).

Look on Craigslist for the missing stuff. If they thief was that stupid to not take the important stuff, might be dumb enough to list it too.

Comprehensive car insurance won't cover the things stolen inside your car, but your homeowners should. I'd check into that as well.

Homeowners insurance should. You pay every year u might as well file a claim. Hopefully they pickbup the bill.

I was going to file a claim with my home insurance, but the deductible for the house policy is more than the $150ish that the GPS unit costs.

Sorry to hear about the break-in. Is there any way the GPS can be tracked?

Sorry to hear about the break-in. Is there any way the GPS can be tracked?

Most car GPS units receive only and do not broadcast a position.
Edit to add: unless it is some new fancy one, but unlikely in the $150 range.

Now I am pissed off...............

I hate to hear about shit like this.

Sorry about the lost of your stuff..........

Look on Craigslist for the missing stuff. If they thief was that stupid to not take the important stuff, might be dumb enough to list it too.
This x10 as well as ebay ads by locations over whatever time-span you deem worthwhile. It's hard to imagine the number of people who (in my experience car parts) will steal something and simply list in a neighboring county on craigs.

Was the GPS anything special? I may have an old TomTom laying around..

Just a little PSA on GPS car navs... try to avoid storing a waypoint called "Home" at your actual house location. If they stole your gps and/or your car, the thief will know where you live and at the moment of the robbery you aren't home either.
Sorry to hear of the break in Jeff.

Well, you sure raised the shit factor. Too many things kids gotta have today, so they do this shit. Mine got hit in the same spot I have parked for over 24 years. Got my stereo faceplate (couldn't get the serialized unit cause it was bolted in securely, f-ed up wires and stuff. So much for was fuzzy feelings. Hope you can clean this us with not too much fuss. Sure feel for you bro.

Thanks for all the kind words! I have looked on Craigslist and Ebay, but nothing has shown up.

This x10 as well as ebay ads by locations over whatever time-span you deem worthwhile. It's hard to imagine the number of people who (in my experience car parts) will steal something and simply list in a neighboring county on craigs.

Was the GPS anything special? I may have an old TomTom laying around..

You will have a PM shortly! The GPS unit was nothing fancy, a Garmin piece that we bought when my wife started doing home visits for work.

Just a little PSA on GPS car navs... try to avoid storing a waypoint called "Home" at your actual house location. If they stole your gps and/or your car, the thief will know where you live and at the moment of the robbery you aren't home either.
Sorry to hear of the break in Jeff.

I have never had the "home" location my actual address. Right now my "home" in all my GPS units is the Safeway shopping center about 2 miles from my house. I figure that if I can't get home from there, I really shouldn't be driving at all.

I usually try to have the "home" a place that is a couple miles away, so if something like this ever happened my address would still be somewhat safe. The scumbag could get within a couple miles of my house, but would have to look through a lot of neighborhoods to find anything. Which is probably more effort than any thief would put into it.