• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Carnival Cruise Ships Used As Shelters...

cvmfour

Well my cruise for Thanksgiving got cancelled. I'm not really mad at all because this lets the people displaced from the hurricane have a place to stay. The gov't rented/leased cruise ships from Carnival from Sept. 8 - March 4th 2006. I think it's a really cool that the gov't did this for the victims.

Yea it's for a good cause. The victims really don't have anywhere to go. And now you can spend the money on more cigars :D

Wow, we were talking about this at work the other day. One of the guys in the office said, "wouldn't it be a good idea if..." and everyone else in the conversation thought it would be great and solve a lot of problems. I'm glad to see that the government thinks along the same lines.

Only problem I can envision is how the displaced persons may treat their accomodations. I hope they treat the ships with respect and dignity and not lapse into the problems that were shown at the SuperDome.

Edited for spelling.

there's no more reason for the newly homeless to be angry about their accommodations, of course they have many other problems to contend with but showing a little bit of class right now would help the situation a great deal. if you are one of the people who are risking your neck to alleviate the situation i'm sure you would appreciate it! :cool:

I think that is a great idea. I just hope that the govt. pays to refurbish the boats after all is said and done. It is great that people wil have a place to stay while things get fixed up. :thumbs:

I thought it was a good idea, especially for all those displaced to have something better than a shelter for the time being. I'm sure that being up to your nose in other peoples funk at a shelter would bite hard.

Unless I read the previous posts wrong...

It sucks that some of you are already poo-pooing these people for doing something that hasn't even taken place yet.

Actually, there shouldn't be a problem with them staying there since they were going to be refurbished anyway around March. I believe it's 3 older cruise ships in Carnival's line.

cvmfour said:
Well my cruise for Thanksgiving got cancelled. I'm not really mad at all because this lets the people displaced from the hurricane have a place to stay. The gov't rented/leased cruise ships from Carnival from Sept. 8 - March 4th 2006. I think it's a really cool that the gov't did this for the victims.
[snapback]221368[/snapback]​
Of course, this is the same government and the same President all the left-wing liberal media are busy bashing for not doing enough and not moving fast enough...how could anyone have hoped to have plans to deal with a 100 mile wide path of destruction...this has never happened before...I mean WTF do they want? They're mobilizing relief as fast as they can humanly do it...this President has had more hassles with more disasters and destruction than any US President has ever had to deal with, and I think he's doing just fine...so yeah, cvmfour, it is cool...I think they came up with a brilliant plan given all the problems they are facing, trying to figure how to deal with all of this...I just wish they'd cut this guy a little slack instead of continually using any excuse to bash him...but then, hey, wotthehell, this is the way the ultra-left-wingers have always done it...where the hell is Harry Truman when you need him? Is it too much to ask for just a little more moderism from both political parties so they can be at the business at hand of running a government FOR THE PEOPLE, and not so much running OF THE PEOPLE...there is just too much partisan politicing to do anyone any good...somewhere along the line they really need to start drawing back together and finding common ground or we're all gonna get screwed over...we need a moderate, middle-of-the-road political party now, more than ever...a voice of reason...one side's gone to far right and the other's gone too far left...and that leaves the average American without franchise...

I think this is a not so good idea. I know everybody might think I am an a$$hole and maybe I am but o well. Those ships are going to be ruined because most of those people going on them are slobs to begin with and have no respect for anything and think everything should be handed to them. Now I am not saying they shouldn't be given help but I don't think it is fair to people that had crusise planned and paid for to have them cancelled because there are other people not smart enough to live ABOVE sea level.

TBaGZ said:
I think this is a not so good idea. I know everybody might think I am an a$$hole and maybe I am but o well. Those ships are going to be ruined because most of those people going on them are slobs to begin with and have no respect for anything and think everything should be handed to them. Now I am not saying they shouldn't be given help but I don't think it is fair to people that had crusise planned and paid for to have them cancelled because there are other people not smart enough to live ABOVE sea level.
[snapback]221664[/snapback]​

You personally know these people and can confirm their character? How did you find out exactly who will be using the ships for shelter anyway?

I don't need to know them personally... Watch the news and look at the way they are acting.

TBaGZ said:
[snapback]221664[/snapback]​

First of all, unfounded character judgements aside, Carnival cut a deal with the government, and it is their business, not yours, if their ships need to be re-furbished afterwards. I am sure they are getting compensated for their efforts, and any cleanup that may need to be done.

You have no reason to call anybody a slob. This board is my home on the internet, and you are coming in here and messing up my home. *We* will be the one that need to re-furbish after you and your ilk are gone. And I hope it is soon.

JK

Well, I think that it's great that they get some place to call home while FEMA sorts out who gets what for compensation. I don't think there is a whole lot of Hurricane insurance out there, but I guess the premiums would be high in the gulf coast areas.

I'm sure that there will be a wealth of jobs aboard the ships to take care of everything from housekeeping to general ship upkeep. Who cares what happens aboard the ships as long as there is someplace for the majority of the people to call home...yeah?

I've been watching the news for a week straight, I still don't know who the hell you're talking about. The people who were begging for the help they were promised and never got? The one's who went without food and water for 5 days because FEMA turned away relief efforts? The one's who have lost everything because their government leaders failed them? The one's who have been herded from site to site, enduring roving gangs shooting at them and raping their children? The one's who held their relatives as they died because they were refused medical attention as they sat in the rain and flood waters?

Surely you cannot be so blindly suggesting that the criminals who were shooting at innocent people and rescue workers would be housed with the general population instead of being taken out or held in custody?

JimK said:
*We* will be the one that need to re-furbish after you and your ilk are gone. And I hope it is soon.

JK
[snapback]221697[/snapback]​

That was uncalled for Jim.

So...I wonder what Lt. Gen. Honore smokes? Did you see him puffin' away the other day?

**attempt to sway the political tides of this thread**

don't feel bad for carnival losing out on damaged ships. they are receiving approximately $249 million.

Apparently Greece is sending over some cruise ships as well.