• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

casademalahato.com

ckeller52

"All the Twitters. I know them."
In November of last year I wanted to replenish my humi and started on a web search for a vendor. I found http://www.casademalahato.com/ and placed an order for BOLIVAR Coronas 5.5 x 42 for $285. The owner of the business, Steve called me after I placed the order and said he would send his end first and when I was satisfied with the product I would send him a check. At the time this seemed like a good deal to me but I was brand new to all this (seems like I’ve aged 5 years cigar wise since I joined CP on 1-1-06) so I set aside some time on the weekend to smoke one of these fine cigars.

To say the least I was not delighted. Matter of fact I wondered out loud to my wife why these tasted so bad. Having read enough about cigars to be dangerous at this point I concluded, based on one paragraph I read someplace on the internet that these cigars needed to age and then they would taste good. I also decided that it would be in poor taste to hold Steve’s money while they aged so I paid him.

Let’s recap, so far I’ve bought crappy tasting cigars from someone I’ve never dealt with before and I also overpaid by about $100 for them. So far so good.

I’ve smoked bad cigars before, or at least ones that didn’t taste good to me. I’d smoke them most of the way down and then decide this brand was just not to my taste. I decided to give these BC’s another shot about 6 weeks later and not only were they not better they were awful, just plain awful. I thought now was the time to ask on the forum’s here at CP why these tasted so bad. I started this discussion Bolivar Coronas - FAKE?and that led to this forensic Bolivar Deathmatchby a noted board member.

I contacted the owner and he offered a full refund. And he offered it when contacted again. And again. Needless to say I never got the refund. Lesson learned.

Bottom line, I’ll never buy from http://www.casademalahato.com/ again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I edited the title because it showed up as a hot link in email notifications. I thought that was a very bad idea. :)

hosed.jpg

Interesting Quote from the Website

"Canada Appointed Dealer for Habanos SA Since 1998"

And well as far as him outing "HIS source" if they are selling fakes, does it matter?

Just asking, personally I agree that normally mentioning sources is taboo.

thanks for the heads up.

just a couple of observations/questions....

not that it would have mattered, but 6 weeks of "aging" is not going to change the taste of a cigar much, if any. and why in the world would you knowingly overpay $100 for cigars to someone youve never dealt with before?

Personally, I think that the outing of a confirmed seller of fakes is a special case and that the moratorium on naming should be waived.

Rod and this community are in a delicate position and we can all appreciate that a balance needs be struck between the welfare of the members and the conduct that is allowed and in what context.

I believe that the naming of a "bad" source that is done with the primary intent of protecting board members is an acceptable justification for an exception. Now, that said, I still think it is inadvisable for anyone to just up and post a "Warning! This guy sells fakes!" thread. But in this case, the investigation was carried out not only with experienced members of this board but I sought out the experience of seasoned members across other forums as well.

Now what would be the proper way to "out" a shop like this? Perhaps the evidence gathering and resulting case could be presented to Rod by some senior members and Rod could make the decision to allow/disallow and where. I don't know what the best or right answer is, but as a community, it is within our charter to discuss and debate this within the boundaries of Rod/CigarPass's considerations "law-abidingness."

That said, let the discussion continue. This is perhaps one of the more important and potentially impactiful issues that this and other online cigar forums face today.

Wilkey

not that it would have mattered, but 6 weeks of "aging" is not going to change the taste of a cigar much, if any. and why in the world would you knowingly overpay $100 for cigars to someone youve never dealt with before?

Marc, that's why guys come to places like CigarPass. Knowledge and a frame of reference regarding all things cigar.

Wilkey

Hmmm if they tasted horrible I wouldn’t have kept them but that’s me. As far as outing sources of fake’s rod put the rules into effect because from that country are illegal in the US. However if these aren’t real then there not of that particular country and thus not violating any of the laws regarding such. That being said I have been known to be wrong so if someone knows more please chime in.

However if these aren’t real then there not of that particular country and thus not violating any of the laws regarding such.

Wrong. :) Anything that is even represented as being from an embargoed country is contraband, via the Trading With the Enemy Act.

However if these aren’t real then there not of that particular country and thus not violating any of the laws regarding such.

Wrong. :) Anything that is even represented as being from an embargoed country is contraband, via the Trading With the Enemy Act.

heh told ya i've been known to be wrong. Thanks for the info.

thanks for the heads up.

not that it would have mattered, but 6 weeks of "aging" is not going to change the taste of a cigar much, if any.
I know that now.
and why in the world would you knowingly overpay $100 for cigars to someone youve never dealt with before?
I didn't say I *knowingly* paid $100 more than I needed to. All of my learning came after this purchase. Cravat emptor huh? :)

Hmmm if they tasted horrible I wouldn’t have kept them but that’s me.

Yeah, me too now. :)

What about getting ahold of Habanos S.A. directly and letting their lawyers go after these people and others like them?

When ever you find a new vendor you have never used a post to members asking if any one has ever
used this vendor before would be the way to go.
All the CP sponsors are around $100 cheaper on this smoke.
Buying from Canada would be a last resort if at all. ;)

When ever you find a new vendor you have never used a post to members asking if any one has ever
used this vendor before would be the way to go.

Actually it would not be the way to go. No discussion of sources is allowed in these forums. It is clearly spelled out in many places.

I would advise taking things like this to PM and even then, good luck to you. The trust it takes for many people to give a source is a commodity that is earned only through time and contribution here. While asking for advice on a source you have found may be a little different, I think a newbie may still have some trouble getting much info. Especially right now when there seems to be eyes and people running their mouths all over the place with their "look at what I just bought" posts.

And this is why I will stick to the legal avenues of this hobby. I've never had an ISOM nor do I have an aching desire to get any. ALl of the premium smokes that are available to us here in the states are just fine with me. I have never felt a longing feeling wishing that the Gurkha I just lit was an ISOM. :laugh: .....to those that MUST have them....I wish you luck in not obtaining fakes.