• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Caviar

xraydoc1

So, anyone having a little caviar tonight?

For us, it has become a New Years Eve tradition, and over the past two or threee years, we have become more and more fond of the American farm grown sturgeon caviar. It is very similar to Caspian Osetra, and somewhat less expensive, but the taste seems a little fresher and sharper. We compared the American with a Russian black Osetra and a Russian classic grey Sevruga tonight, and the American version was a clear winner again.

Opinions? Comments?

Enjoy!

Not a huge fan of it, and really wouldn't know what the best buys are.

Gregor

It's been many a year since I've had good caviar. I knew this Russian girl in college and well...

Unfortunately, this is one indulgence I've had to forego.

I've never had caviar, and I'm kinda afraid to try.

When I was last at Delmonico's in Vegas, one of the friends I was with insisted on ordering some Foie Gras for us all to try... I objected, considering it to be a no-win situation.

Either the stuff would be nasty, or it would be good. If it were nasty, I'd have suffered by having to gag it down... If it was good, then any enjoyment of it would be tempered by adding another expensive item to the list of things I like yet can't really afford (ISOMs, the Filet at Ruth's Chris, Gran Marnier 150, etc.)

Well, the order of BBQ Foie Gras arrived, and we tried it.

It was great. :::sigh:::

So, enjoy your fish eggs!

I like smelt roe on sushimi - does that count??? :whistling:

I've alway lived by the phrase "I'll try anything once". The few times that I have had caviar it has been a good experience. It is quite salty, a bit "fishy" but has a unique flavor and texture. I find it enjoyable.

I find it fun to try new foods. You just have to keep an open mind, and let your tastebuds do the talking.

I've never had cavier, but my dad tried it once and said it tasted like salt Jell-O.

I'm not much in a hurry to try it myself

David, a group buy sounds great to me! I've made it thru 3 bottles of champagne so far tonight, and we had a total of 6 ounces of caviar. So, maybe case lots of champagne and lb. lots of caviar?

Just let me know!

Whats interesting is that I have enjoyed caviar for years, and to be truthful, I have never found beluga to be worth the price premium. My taste tends to run to the osetra and the sevruga. I guess my palate is just too coarse!

Oh, and gg, if you can get herring roe at the sushi bar, I recommend you try it. It's tasty!

I really enjoy the osetra as well, just can't justify the cost of the beluga as well. We once did a group buy on the wine board and it worked out great, I'm in. We haven't opened the Cliquet Diva yet but are working on a bottle of gold flake German Sec.

Happy B-day Amigo! is it Cohiba time yet? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:cool:

Dude, for you it is ALWAYS Cohiba time! But it may be, as a matter of fact! Do you like Esplendidos?

You Cohiba guys kill me! LOL!

Mmmmmmm. That Tattinger is going down really smoothly!

I was just going through the celalr and found a 1993 and 1995 Dom Perignon, think I should open them to go with my Sublime?

:sign:

This is on my list to try. I've never had the chance to try Caviar. Maybe one day...

What I hate about caviar, is that you eat it a 6pm for dinner and then at 9pm, one of them guppies get's dislodged from your teeth and boom! You're tasting dinner all over again. By 9pm I should be enjoying a fine cigar, not a fish-infused cigar.