• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cbid Mold...

Ok, so after reading through a bunch of posts on the Cbid forum (where I posted the same pics). I see that it may not be such a clear case to call.

I am usually willing to admit when I am wrong, and in this case I will certainly say that it is 'possible' that I was mistaken.

From all that I have heard and seen about plume I never thought it could be:
1. 3 dimensional
2. In the filler
3. Outside the cellophane

And these three characteristics are what led me to believe these sticks were moldy, it also didn't brush off easily.

HOWEVER, I just spent some time more closely examining them, and cleaning all the white stuff off (it still won't come off the celo or the filler), and the cigars appear to be healthy. So, now I will just wait and see if the stuff comes back. If it does not, then I will gladly admit that I have some nicely aged cigars. And if it does come back, then I will know they are moldy. ;)

I apologize if anyone felt I was trying to stir up trouble, as that was not my intention at all. I really wanted to get real objective opinions of the pictures.

Thanks to everyone for your posts, and I will update you as soon as possible.

~Anthony

Looks to me like what you had was mold brother. Check out Moki's site about Mold or Plume, it should help.

Plume

Mold

I agree, CI is bullshitting you so you'll go away. That's mold, go get 'em tiger.

So after a bunch of people posting on the cbid forum discussing back and forth whether it's mold or not, finally SteveR@cigarbid, the man himself, responded to my inquiry:

To be honest with you, this looks like mold to me. Not because of the look, but because of how and where it formed. Also, this is not the result of poor storage.

This appears to be, what is often called, "old mold." Old mold is not harmful...it is dead mold spores that can be wiped away, with no fear of active spores producing new or more mold. On numerous occasions, I've seen cigars arrive from the manufacturer with "old mold." Many times, it was the old (original) Oliva 'O' Maduro. The mold should not be harmful, nor will it alter the smell, taste, or burn of the cigar.

Mold is almost always blueish or greenish in color. Every now and then, I'll see white mold on a cigar. In every instance, it looked like this, and was "old mold."

I'm willing to buy it... anyone else?

What ever. You are not satisfied with the smokes. Get new ones. End of story. You didn't click on the link that said "Bid on Gurka's with old mold" You bid on nice non-contaminated cigars and that is what you should get. Call em and get em.

What ever. You are not satisfied with the smokes. Get new ones. End of story. You didn't click on the link that said "Bid on Gurka's with old mold" You bid on nice non-contaminated cigars and that is what you should get. Call em and get em.
Absolutely, right-freakin' on.

Once the customer has taken such pains to explore and explain the issue to you, if he still has reservations, offer to take back the cigars, refund shipping, and do whatever else it takes to make sure the experience doesn't leave a bad taste in their mouth.

At this point, it should no longer be a question of trying to convince you to hold onto merchandise you are not totally happy to have.

For chrissakes, by their jerking you around, it has made me even less inclined to deal with them and you should let them know this.

Al, Gabriel, Mark, Brad, etc...none of these guys would take this tact with you.

Wilkey

Have to agree with what my other good brothers have said here...you didn't agree to buy vintage mold sticks. Rather, sticks that were to be, presumably, free of such atrocities, no matter how CBid attempts to spin it or carbon-date it.

I'd be pissed and I'd send the sticks back asap.

I would get on the phone and talk to the highest ranking person I can get to. The forums and stuff are nice, but you will get much better results and less jerking around with a phone call. You can do a lot with the inflection of your voice that will never come across via typing. Especially when your typing is done on C-Bid's own forum.

It is mold. It is a result of the cigars being stored in an environment too rich in moisture. I had the same thing on two sticks in the Cuesta Rey member sampler a year or so ago. It wiped off, it didn't seem to smell all that bad, but it was mold nonetheless. The person there told me it was from the cigars being packaged while still a little moist. Sometimes that results in full blown green mold and sometimes the conditions aren't exactly right for that and the white mold forms and pretty much stops growing. (That of course, may be bull, but it's what the guy told me before happily replacing the moldy sticks.)

Real plume is not white. It is crystallized like fine sugar or salt. It sometimes shows up white in photos, but it isn't really bright white. The cello on those sticks would likely be fairly yellow if they were old enough to have produced real plume.

It may not be active mold, but it is still mold. Even a representative from their company said it was mold.

Call them, get someone who doesn't try to brush you off, and get those sticks replaced or a refund. I would suggest removing them from your shopping list as well. There's no excuse for treating customers this way.

I hope they take note of how these responses are representing their company. I am a new "cigar guy" who happens to drop a lot of money on these things, and based on what I am reading, I wouldn't feel comfortable dropping a single penny into this company. I have not seen them try to even TAKE the cigars back as a sign of customer satisfaction. It's almost a "too bad, so sad" policy that doesn't sit well with a lot of spenders.

I think you should man up and call them IF you are truly not satisfied. You almost sound unsure about it, as if you MAY be happy, but you're not that enthused about the situation. Just call them and put their policy to the test. This isn't what you asked for, and you'd appreciate your money back in exchange for future business with them. Otherwise, if they refuse and keep the money, you will let them know that it's turning off a LOT of other people who read these forums from even considering shopping with them.

I was definitely planning on calling today. The reason I've been dealing with them online is that their phone lines are only open M-F. Unfortunately I didn't get around to calling today before they closed, so I will post the result of the call tomorrow.

The thing I really have an issue with is that since Cbid determined that they are not at fault, I will have to pay to ship the order back AND they will probably try to charge me the 15% restock fee (which I will NOT pay).

I was definitely planning on calling today. The reason I've been dealing with them online is that their phone lines are only open M-F. Unfortunately I didn't get around to calling today before they closed, so I will post the result of the call tomorrow.

The thing I really have an issue with is that since Cbid determined that they are not at fault, I will have to pay to ship the order back AND they will probably try to charge me the 15% restock fee (which I will NOT pay).

Feel free to use my mold picture if you want... :whistling:

The company that sent me the moldy cigars also asked "Are you sure its mold?" But when I said "Yes I'm sure" that was the end of that part of the discussion.

Over here if your not happy, they are legally obliged to pick up the cigars at their cost and refund your money either by check or cigar store account balance.

I'm surprised its not that way in the states.

They sent you those cigars, they are at fault. Don't let them push you around because you're a new cigar smoker. You have been given good information by some very knowledgeable and experienced smokers in this thread. This is mold and it is unacceptable that they should expect you to just accept them or to charge you for taking back their moldy cigars.

After they take them back at no charge, I'd tell them that I didn't plan on giving them any more of my business. There are a number of really good vendors out there that will treat you right (as has been mentioned earlier). It's not necessary to deal with a place that gives you this kind of nonsense over $20 worth of smokes.

Good luck...

I am actually kind of surprised Ci is taking this tact with you. I have had good expierences with them,but with that said give them hell no excuses. You are the customer remind them of that someone else in this thread talked about voice inflection that is a good point. My advice is call them up try to sound disgruntled but not outright rude bet you get a free fiver as well. something else you may want to ask them why their staff cannot corectly spell tobacco since it is the product they sell.

Wow, thank God I've never used C-Bid. I'd point blank tell them you want a refund/credit/new cigars or you'll report them to the BBB and you'll never use there site(s) again. They are giving you the run-a-round for $23 in cigars.

I just got off the phone with them... They are sending me a new 5pack of Gurkha Master Selects, and a return label to send the others back.

They will inspect the original order when it returns, so I hope than can see the mold.

~Anthony

I just got off the phone with them... They are sending me a new 5pack of Gurkha Master Selects, and a return label to send the others back.

They will inspect the original order when it returns, so I hope than can see the mold.

~Anthony
Good going.

You might want to direct Mr. Head Honcho over there to come on over and check out this thread. Might open his eyes.

Wilkey

Haha, this is unbelievable...I can't believe they're asking for them back. Hoepfully they make this right after acting like such asshats, which is going to take much more than just getting a replacement at this point.

I am surprised that you had such a problem with them. I have had a couple of returns for quality reasons as well as a shipment as well as ashipment that had an item missing (even though it was on the invoice) and never had any issues.

Maybe your problem was with a single person over there and not a company wide case of "asshatitis" :laugh: